New Release: EMB200 Ipanema Crop Duster

I am still trying to figure out how to get the sprayer to work. I have spent a lot of time around Piper Pawnees and soon as you cut the throttle on them they slow down rather quickly due to the draggy airframe. This is similar to a Pawnee in some ways but seems too slippery in the air unfortunately.

2 Likes

In order for the spray to work, you have to first fill the tank while on the ground. It’s that red button on the panel by the aux pump. Then just follow what it says on the panel - airspeed slower than 100 knots, Aux Pump on, then pull the spray handle. And yeah, slippery is… a kind way to describe this mystery source of energy that keeps it going forever and ever, it seems. :slight_smile: It does slow down quite a bit with flaps, but getting it to 80 knots in order to deploy them? That will take some practice. And once you are below 80 and deploy the flaps, the thing wants to fall out of the sky. It’s not ideal, perhaps some of this can be fixed. Flight model issues aside, I think everything else is done pretty well. I do enjoy when the aircraft isn’t an eye-sore and things seem to work as intended. The flight model does need work, as I say.

3 Likes

I never had FSX, but in FS9, the smoke effects could be edited with any text editor. Duration, color, and even reaction to shadow/dark were all controllable. I have a package of several recolored smoke effect files still on flightsim.com that even includes one I did just for “spits and giggles” that doesn’t darken in shade/night, which means that it becomes luminous at night.

Oh, and someone else took the same base smoke effect and colored it dark red, set the duration to the max, and added gravity to it. This turned it into a slurry that would fall to the ground and remain there as you came around for another pass.

1 Like

exactly - and for those who don’t know - this is the spray effect from alabeo’s Cessna Agwagon

this is what I’m looking for

and the GAS Stearman duster…

1 Like

Hmm… I see two separate emitters on that first one. One is thin and remains in a straight line, while the other spreads quickly to a cloud. Nice combo…

One note though - no crop duster would EVER release at that altitude. Whether it’s fertilizer or pesticide, that stuff ain’t cheap. They release at only a few feet off the deck so that it goes exactly where it’s needed.

3 Likes

You mean my screenshots of spraying mystery chemicals all over Isabel Segunda in Vieques is NOT HOW IT HAPPENS??? :wink:

5 Likes

Now it is time someone tries the plane and this farm scenery mod together.

4 Likes

no - I think in both cases it was done for the screenshot or to test that something actually happens when you flip the switch

I want ONE crop duster in my hangar, but I was kind of waiting for an older Air tractor or a crop duster with radial engine and working realistic spray effect and simple crop dusting computer/gauge.

It is hard to know if developer will be improving the aircraft since he/she is most likely not on this forum.

1 Like

FSX was the same as FS9 I think - and MSFS looks to have similar structure to it from the poking around I’ve done… they seem to have just moved things around a bit and added a few hundred sub-categories.

1 Like

the Hellcats do it that way I think…

1 Like

Oh, I’m well aware that the shots were for the sake of showing the effects. :wink: I’ve also watched a few in action out in the Texas Panhandle. When you get up next to one, it’s surprising just how big something like an Air Tractor 802 really is. They are not exactly small, but their pilots thrash them around with moves that would look more normal flown with something like an Extra or Van’s!

2 Likes

I’ve seen it up near Ontario Ca…the guy was doing cuban eights starting from under the power lines, reversing over the top and dropping in for the runs… right alongside the Interstate.
Dunno how I managed to stay out of the ditch

1 Like

Just like Alaskan bush pilots, crop dusters are a completely different breed of pilot!

1 Like

right - it’s all based on a dare.
In Alaska " i bet you 5$ you cant land this Norseman down that steep canyon on that there soda cracker"

In crop dusterville " I bet you 5$ you cant dust them maters, fly under the overpass and make it over the power lines flip a biscuit and dust them taters too" …5 bucks whaddya say??

and the pilots drawn to that life always say the same ■■■■ thing - “hold my beer”

4 Likes

Think I’ll wait for this one… these were very common to see where I grew up, especially in the early morning hours. I can still smell the “mystery chemicals.”

1 Like

Does it use Wwise sounds?

Havent bought this yet, though on the product page it does say it uses wwise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @BostonJeremy77!
I imaginge this one could be lots of fun. Yeah, the spray effects dont look superb, but we are in early stage of these effects coming to the sim. About the flightmodel, especially climb power you mention, im sure if we can compare it to a POH, i hope we can motivate the devs to make it correct, if theres something off.
Lets see, i guess i will get that one, finally something different.

About the twitchy rudder: Guess thats a bit of a general problem of MSFS and tail draggers. They all are a bit twitchy.