New Release : FlyingIron Simulations Spitfire L.F Mk IXc

If you check earlier comments you will see that, if you purchased from Flying Iron, you should have received an email with a download link. Check your inbox/spam folder/etc.Otherwise a quick email to F.I. should sort it out.

1 Like

There is no battery switch, electricals were connected externally by ground crew so they simulated that by movement of the throttle.

Brakes bite fast and will nose you over. I’m using toe breaks so not sure how fast they act with just button brake use.

There is actually, it is moved when you move the throttle forwards. It’s right under the throttle lever.

2 Likes

Just installed the spitfire and you can hardly control it. Have to keep the elevator at full trim just to try and fly level and it still wants to climb. Recalibrated my joystick and all the other aircraft fly fine. Dont know if this a bug of some sort. Also wants to fly sideways. Downloaded it today so it should be the one with the new update, any ideas people.
Thanks

1 Like

A few paints I uploaded this weekend:
jk2446 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk2392 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk2372

jk2350 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Clip_6 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

I hope you’ll like them.

5 Likes

It’s not a bug, it’s how the aircraft actually flies. You cannot fly this the same as a C172 or even a Pitts Special, it takes a different technique - it’s actually modelled pretty well on the WW2 warbird and the Spit’s well known “characteristics”.

The FlyingIron website has a manual you can download to give you tips on how it should be done. Meanwhile don’t try to fly it “flat out”, all power changes must be slow and steady. You don’t really need full power on takeoff, well not in the early stages. Once you are airborne it’s easier but you need to be very gentle on all movements until you get the feel. Trimming is very important, rudder, elevator and aileron all need to be set “just so”. Once you get the hang of it, however, you’ll thoroughly enjoy it.

It wasn’t named the most successful fighter aircraft in WW2 for nothing! IMO FI have done a superb job in not “dumbing down” the performance.

6 Likes

I can understand it having a few characteristics of its own but the elevator trim is fully trimmed to the max and I’m having to fly with my joystick pushed forward continuously even with the power low as soon as I release the control it wants to climb. I’m going to try it with my saitek stuff and see if it any different. Hope it is as its been modeled really well.

1 Like

Are you on Modern flight model?

Sorry what do you mean by modern flight model?

Is that the realism side of things

Under Settings. Make sure Flight Model is set to Modern.

The radio still doesn’t seem to work after the latest update. I tried both starting on the runway and from cold and dark and the radio buttons don’t switch on the ATC menu.

Also encountered a glitch today where all of the instruments froze up despite the audio still reacting to throttle/prop changes. Pausing the game for a bit and unpausing fixed it.

Generally speaking I love this plane, it’s gotta be the most fun thing to hand fly in the game at the moment. It’s the only add-on plane I’ve tried yet where the flight model really feels like it has some depth. Hope the radio gets fixed soon, would be awesome to do VFR flights on VATSIM in this thing.

Use one of the radio channels on the left. A, B, C or D all work the same.

Combat flight sim veteran Stormbird’s FIS Spitfire review is out!

Review of the Spitfire IX from Flying Iron Simulations for MSFS – Stormbirds

He used a lot of comparisons with other Spitfire IXs in other simulations such as DCS World and IL2.

Interesting tidbits:

1. “Takeoff run, with trim set, is more similar than different across all three Spitfires” in other sims.

2. “Once cleaned up from takeoff, I can say almost immediately that this aircraft feels very familiar. It’s a type that I feel very much at home with in other sims and I had the same feeling here too.”

3. “With many hundreds of hours on the IL-2: Great Battles Series Spitfire IX in pitched multiplayer and single player battles and at least several more hours on the DCS: Spitfire IX, I can say that all three feel about the same while cruising along and while using the controls in cruise. The Spitfire is noted for being light on the elevator and heavier on the ailerons and you can feel that here”

4. “Landing here generally feels very good too. The Spitfire in all sims remains controllable down to near stall speeds and my almost instinctual nose up trim use came in use here as the speed bled off. There’s also an immediate nose down movement when the landing flaps are deployed and the experience felt the most like the DCS Spitfire IX. Touchdown feels like the other two Spitfire’s and is generally predictable unless too much power is applied.”

5. “Roll out after landing is very similar to taxiing with this being the easiest of the three”.

6. “Excellent visuals, strong sound effects, and a good flight model on the whole makes this an excellent aircraft to fly and a challenging warbird”.

7. Some of the systems and failures are not simulated yet (due to limitations of the current SDK and not MSFS). These issues and limitations are very minor and “well within the (development) team’s grasp”.

6 Likes

Are there navigation radios in the aircraft? If not, are there plans for them in the future?

Yes, It’s very good indeed and quite similar to the FI XP version and the DCS Spit. But, I’d like the transition in the engine tone to be smoother as more or less throttle is applied and engine revs increase/decrease. Also, and maybe it’s me, but it doesn’t look like the primary compass is working.

That was the problem I was on legacy. She flys a dream now. Cheers mate

5 Likes

Overlooked that myself originally. Hard to think how I’d manage the circuit I just did at EGHR otherwise in the poor visibilty.

Awesome guys I love it, any chance of a Mosquito next :+1:

5 Likes