New Simmers: Introduce Yourself!

Welcome from another over 40 Xbox pilot! I too would like to get a PPL, however between money and potential medical issues, it just isn’t in the cards.

I have been enjoying learning to fly the STOL bush planes. Especially the taildraggers. What planes are you wanting to fly?

3 Likes

Hi there,

Despite the medical conditions, I must say you are lucky with a great wife, giving you this birthdaypresent.
I hope you enjoy it a lot. There is a lot of information on this forum and youtube will become your best friend quickly when you want to learn more about aviation.
If you have any question, feel free to ask. Thats why we all here for!
Maybe untill later in the skies of MSFS

1 Like

Hello, I’m Jollino, from central Italy. My “home” airport is LIBP/PSR.
(In that crazy thing called the real world, I’m a translator by trade and I used to be a software developer; I’m also a licensed drone pilot and I’m into photography, 3d printing and general nerd… even though getting older means I have much less time to enjoy my hobbies, alas.)

I’ve always loved planes (and trains), never had a chance to fly much as a passenger, let alone as a pilot (same for trains really).
Still, love is love and I won’t deny that I went from an Xbox One to a Series S just to be able to play FS2020. When I read about it using actual imagery and essentially mapping the whole world, I was sold. When I heard it was coming to Game Pass, I was ecstatic.

However… I’m far from a hardcore simmer, let alone really a gamer anymore. And— er, I’m aware that this is essentially blasphemy on here, but please bear with me— thing is, I’m mostly in for the nice imagery and just flying around in awe. That means — oh dear I’m going to get so much hatred — that I play with lots of assistance tricks built-in and that’s how I want it to be, at least for now.

[awkward silence ensues]

Truth be told, I’ve been removing a few of them as I find myself spending more and more time reading up on “real” aviation and whatnot, but at this stage to me it’s more of a way to see places I may never have a chance to see than a way to fly planes I will never have a chance to fly.

[silence continues]

Aaaaanyway, I signed up because I’ve been reading this forum and I figured I may ask a few newbie questions (once I level up, that is)… assuming that I haven’t been already plonked by everyone for having said all that. :smiley:

8 Likes

Welcome to the forums, and to MSFS! Everyone’s welcome here - regardless of platform or how you choose to enjoy the sim. Happy flying! :airplane:

3 Likes

G’day from down under

I first took to the simulated sky back when Flight Simulator 2 first came out back in 1984. Yes, a long time ago. Have been simming on and off since then with various versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator. After a 10 year hiatus from flying the sim, a new simulator coming out and being made redundant from my 13 year job due to covid, I decided it was time to get back to the skies and invested in a pc set up purely for flight sim, pic attached. Have been flying the new sim for 11 months now, but new to the forum so thought best to introduce myself. Microsoft Flight Simulator blows my mind every time I am on the sim, it’s what I dreamt the sim could be back in the Flight Sim 2 days. Just love it. Anyway, nice to meet you all and hopefully see you all in the skies soon.

PC setup

7 Likes

Hi all,

Im Daz aka SoggySwine.New to FS, loving the game but due to poor pc spec i have to play cloud game on my pc
I find its quite restricted and im having lots of issues, but despote all that im loving it.
Getting to terms with all the different aspects of flight is challenging.

3 Likes

Hi @SoggySwine ,

It’s great that, through the cloud(s), you’re able to play and I’m glad you’re loving the sim!
Feel free to reach out and/or look for information on this forum!

Happy flying!

1 Like

Hi @Sleevezipper
Thanks for the warm welcome, yeah i was relived when they opened this game up to the cloud. as my xbox wont handle the sim either lol.
The forum is great place and il be checking it out often.

2 Likes

Hi, you can call me JimW
I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on PC
I want to try flight simulator because: I am an old time pilot. Haven’t flown in 18 years. FS seemed like a great way to get back into flying.
I’m most interested (right now) in doing the Flight Training on 152 or 172. in FS

I got FS about a week ago. And, am totally frustrated. Can’t get started!!
FS makes reference to switches? like T5. But I can’t find any place that T5 is defined. And, I FS won’t let me move on until I answer that question.
Help.
Thanks, Jim

3 Likes

Hi @ArchaicBowl115 ,

I’m not entirely sure but the problem you’re describing seems peripheral related.
What controllers / peripherals are you using?
Here’s a tutorial on how to set up : How to Setup ALMOST ANY Controller in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - MSFS Controller Tutorial - YouTube

Let me know if this helps. If not, could you please describe in more detail what your issue is?

Sleevezipper

A follow up to my posting today. I’m running FS on a Windows PC. I have a Logitech Yoke, quadrant throttle, and pedals.

I am doing Flight Training > Basic Handling > Introduction > Switch to Cockpit view by press T5.

But, T5 isn’t defined anywhere. I have no idea what that is. I assume it is a key somewhere, but where??

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks,
Jim

Hello SSO2
My name is Rich. Sorry to hear about you medical condition. I’m the same with health issues. Heart attack. I’m o XBox S as well. I’m in Juneau, Alaska. Retired. On most days. Let’s fly

1 Like

Hi Jim,

The T5 button is one of the buttons on your Logitech flight controls. If you still have the manual you’ll see that the buttons are named T1, T2 … Etc.

If you don’t have a manual you can find it online probably.

Hope this helps

Sleevezipper

Hi there
I’m new to FS 2020
Can anyone show me some useful tips?
Having trouble installing some mods for the sim. What’s the best way?
From California USA

2 Likes

Hello @ProPilot100 !

Welcome to the community!
I have this to share : MSFS: Installing Mods/Addons - Finding the Community folder - Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

Hope that will answer some of your questions. If you need more help just let me know.

Happy flying!

Sleevezipper

1 Like

Ok thank you!

2 Likes

hi everyone, cata here. i used to play extreme landings several years ago and decided to download it so i could start flying again. my 7 y.o. really wanted to learn how to play so i did something i don’t do with games on my phone: i spent $50 to unlock all the challenges, some planes, and the flight sim. not too long after we had become addicted and i wanted to take it to the next level so i bought a yoke, throttle quadrant, ms flight sim, and even a new xbox (series s) so we could play it. it has already been way worth the investment. even got my 14 y.o. into it and sometimes the spouse too! there’s nothing better than completing a flight in the a320 or 787 in cockpit view only. mmmm yeahhhhh. anyhoo, attached is a pic of our setup. maybe one day i’ll be rich enough to switch to pc and really go full throttle with the at home simulator setup. cheers!

4 Likes

Hi @catalystmic ,

Awesome!
Happy flying to all!

Sleevezipper

1 Like

sorry the pic went horizontal, not sure why. but curious, how many of ya’ll got so into flying sims that you got your pilot’s license? thinking of a career change myself.

Hey all!

Been simming since as long as I can remember but stopped around 10 years ago
(Aviation is a passion and I even work for the worlds largest airline)

I VERY recently built a gaming PC bought the Airbus captains pack and am having ALOT of trouble with everything.

I have an i7 12th Gen
RTX 3080
64GB Ram 3600 CL18

The game looks very poor and definitely shouldn’t given my hardware and my throttles are all messed up ( I’ve tried calibrating and still all out of wack. If someone out there would like to help me get up and running I’d appreciate it greatly and even send you a pizza for your troubles

3 Likes