New update in the microsoft store, sim deletes itself

This happened to me too along the way. I didn’t realize it until AFTER I had reinstalled everything including all the Content Manager stuff. What I figured out, after MUCH screwing around with Windows’ folder permissions and Security tabs was that despite me telling the sim to install itself into my custom directory, the install process merely created a bunch of aliases there (they ID’d themselves as NTFS “junction” file symlinks or shortcuts in Windows CMD terminal) to a completely DIFFERENT folder (my E:\Program Files (x86)\ directory). Worse, despite taking ownership of that original custom folder location, Windows would not let me delete all the now-superfluous files and folders from the custom folder. After WAAAAY too long faffing around with file permissions to no avail, I gave up and just reformatted the SSD entirely.

So I spent all afternoon AGAIN installing everything onto my now-empty drive, then reinstalling everything else I had installed there - fortunately it was mostly just much of my Steam library. And as most people know by now, you can reinstall 200GB worth of stuff from Steam faster than you can install 25GB of Content Manager stuff through the sim. That in itself is due to the frankly-nutty way Asobo has implemented a “thousands-of-separate compressed files” scheme for downloads, rather than fewer, large monolithic files or archives, so more time can be spent downloading at peak bandwidth usage rather than the incessant start/stop/decompress/re-start process.

Finally up and running almost 24 hours after the mess began, I did manage a few pleasant flights around Honolulu in the P-38 and F-14 Tomcat. My graphics settings were messed up, but thank $DEITY my controller configuration and sensitivity settings were restored properly through this cluster.

Me too. We need to be kept whole by Microsoft. It will cost me about 20 hours to rebuild my sim. We should be compensated.

Title of this topic sounds like a espionage episode.

So bassically what im reading here, is people notice that their computer is hijacked and they have no control over it and they are forced into this update, again with no control over it until they are assigned to give a specific location where the original files are stored and set to this location but when assigning to this location they find out that their paths to the sim is already deleted without giving permission to do so. “If i summorrised wrong please let me know because if so it hurt the my trustworthyness towards ms/asobo and this is very important to me and i belief many others”.
Given the fact that undoudebtly they had to agree to with signing up with beta testing under NDA regislation, there was clearly stated that the beta had come to an end but with a sub instruction shortly the state of the sim would be restored to the before beta testing, but also with simupdate 6,
Are you sure that there was no notifications before installing content used for beta testing.

Blockquote It seems pretty unique in that I haven’t seen many/any people that participated in the beta, and had a custom install having issues (and really none that didn’t participate in the beta). With anything other than the default pathway install (again which wasn’t advised in the beta note), this was a 1.5 gb download and simply redirecting what the sim thought should be a full install to the path where the files were still fully installed.

With this quote II think it went downhill before the beta for many of who participated, and did not read well, like i probably did now because maybe the facts of a) english is not my native language. And b) i want to start as quickly as possible with testing.

One thing is for sure we are still end users who want to enjoy the sim in our spare time and i get the frustration if an update is forced down the throat ending up costing a lot of spare time which cant be redeemed, it is not fair that well paid companies and their devs to miss use their fans and left them treated unfair with messing up there complete pc setups. In my thought pc stand for personal computer, and we work hard for this type of fancy equipment. We are advised to get security on our devices coz its all customers responsibillity, while large companies can hack into it legally, while this is prohibbited and a violation of privacy. This permission can not be given by any of us. But if not agreed with disclaimers we may not participate.

Also i can not believe that after ending testfase officially announced in forum, and reopening it 2 weeks later.

I feel with you fellow simmers that this brings trouble for beta testing

Sincere

PHSepp796

Same story here. Only owned the Sim for a few weeks and was just getting into it. Went to play this afternoon and find the game doesn’t exist anymore on my HD. Instead I’m redirected to the MS store?!!

In over 40 years of gaming I’ve never experienced anything like this. I mean seriously ■■■!! The game already takes up half my SSD drive and they want me to download it again!!

I’m seriously considering ditching MS and buying from the Steam store. Just out of curiosity…are these issues present in the Steam version?

This is very true, maybe not for you and your old-school DVD version, but for customers buying this via the Microsoft Store, it is. Happened to me exactly that way and is entirely logical.

Just because something works for you in a different way doesn’t mean that it isn’t true.
OMG

Mining using CUDA cores, not 3D

Depends on what algorithm is being used and how it’s coded. But anyway, besides that, this is just in game updater on a flat 2D image in the background, why it needs so much GPU :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: . I’m barely reaching 90% during flight. I only reached over 90% GPU usage in locations like New York or Tokyo.

Hi friend! I always had MSFS (and all packages) in another drive (D:). But reinstall the launcher did not work for me. I had to download 85gb, even with my simulator pointed to D:/FS2020. But thanks for the help anyway.

Would you please add that I continue to get a notification regarding opening in safe mode or normal mode. Three addons Piper Seminole, Piper Turbo Arrow III and Beech C90 are third party? addons which seems to be the problem. Any solution to this? Thank you.

@Asobo, I understand I was warned when entering beta that a reinstall would be required if MSFS was installed in the default location. Though I was not expecting that the whole sim would be deleted and all the packages would need to be downloaded again.

But why the entire Community folder, my custom flight plans and other stuff that was not part of the original MSFS files had to be deleted too? I’ve never experienced any beta programs/app uninstaller behave like that.

3 Likes

End of my story, the program folder size ended up being the same size, 180 GB (what the heck did it download 85 GB of then?). Actually it said it was downloading 85 GB, but based on the time it took was probably more like half that, maybe 40-50 GB. I don’t trust those estimates either. Nothing really changed, all settings appear the same. Just a few hours of frustration and life I’ll never get back. I estimate I’ve put in 20-30 hours download time compared to 120 hours of game time over the last year. Again I’ve got all default settings (install folder etc.), no beta testing, nothing fancy. Waiting for all the other shoes to drop with more support being added for XBox/VR/Win11. I expect FS2020 will probably be totally unplayable on my Win10 system in another 12 months. Don’t want to/can’t upgrade to Win11. It’s dual boot so I had to muck with UEFI settings.

1 Like

Get used to the download cycle. Mandatory updates every week or so. You wanna play the game too bad, you gotta wait for the update to download.
And disk space has about doubled since I installed last Aug.
It’s really that bad.

I think this file c:\Users\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs maybe corrupted how do I fix? With over 1700hrs on clock not looking forward to a reinstall - will i lose all data and 14mths of fun thrown out with the bath water

I feel for you, I took the plunge and bought the sim again on Steam 1 year ago, works every time as intended during updates.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.