New Utility Release - Aircraft Manager Free

I thought of different options for the lite/demo, but I’m not a real fan of gimped features like that tbh.
You can’t really implement them any other way either atm (see previous point about gotcha’s, that I’m still trying to work around), so it’s really an all or nothing proposition atm.

That may change in the future if I hit a lighbulb moment regarding some of the blockers I’ve encountered, that will allow me to do some more standard design and UX approaches to common use cases.

I also want to limit how many square pegs I bash into round holes to implement something!
Or I can just call it “creative coding” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I love the concept and something that we have needed for a very long time. I installed it and for me the text is very small. I tried changing the minimum font size to larger and also my Render Scaling, neither worked. I am using a 4K monitor and I suspect that may be the reason.

Yes, that’s it. I changed my Full Screen Resolution to 1920x1080 and the text is much larger. It looks like another thing to figure out, how to use different font sizes based on the Full Screen Resolution setting.

Also noticed, that I don’t have the favorite column is missing. I downloaded it from your website “download Free version Now!”. Not sure if some other mod I have is interfering with it. I will remove other stuff and retry. After looking at other images, I see that it’s not included in the free version.

Looking forward to the Pro version. This is something I will certainly buy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

text is very small. I tried changing the minimum font size to larger and also my Render Scaling, neither worked. I am using a 4K monitor and I suspect that may be the reason.

Yes, it is. This issue is documented as a known issue on the product page. I’m still working to make it fully responsive in resolutions above 2K, task in progress. I updated the OP with an IMPORTANT: line to highlight these known issues to read.

Please stay tuned, but for now it would be a recommended no buy if you use resolution above 2K (if I release it like this, not decided yet). I realise you can’t ask people to use 2K if they have a 4K monitor, even if the FPS is better! Thanks for testing and confirming though, that’s why we have a free version.

Also noticed, that I don’t have the favorite column is missing. I downloaded it from your website “download Free version Now!”. Not sure if some other mod I have is interfering with it. I will remove other stuff and retry. After looking at other images, I see that it’s not included in the free version.

Yes, this is also documented in the Benefits and Features table above the demo link button on the product page. I’ll reword this a bit and resize it a little to make it more obvious too. Edit: Updated table to make this more distinct.

Thanks.

1 Like

Me again :door: :running_man: :dash: :wave: (don’t run away!)

I don’t want to try and teach you how to suck eggs but maybe another POV helps, so…

I don’t see it as gimping. I see it as upselling the features. People need to get a feel how convenient it would be to pony up the cash for a paid version.

As I said I’m not really a back end guy, but from my logical understanding there must (?) be a way of having a state file you can write and read (like a cookie) within your files? So that it can remember the list settings, no?

So you could, in (my head) theory, count how many are added to favourites and when this value is 3 (in the free version) hide/disable the function/ability to add more via CSS (can change the code around the active part that actually adds to faves to a different, but same looking, version of the container without the “link” or whatever?).

Could even show a new bit of text at the top (show via CSS) to say “Favourites limit reached. Purchase the Pro version to unlock all features”.

Yes this sounds perfect to me, lol

I’ll leave now. Lock the door behind me if you want :smiley:

Thanks for the input. I understand your point about features and marketing strategy, there’s pros/cons to all approaches.

However, version feature set is frozen at the moment. I have other issues to resolve for the release which are higher priority, such as the responsiveness issue.

1 Like

I looked around and probably missed it, but what will the price for the Pro version?

1 Like

TBD, but it won’t be ridiculous.

You can never please everyone no matter what price you set (even free, if you browse the comments on the mod sites), but it will strike a good balance between affordability, instabuyness, value, and utility.

1 Like

When can we buy the full version?

Still working to try to resolve scaling issues above 2K resolution, as well as some other minor UX issues with missing icons on filters.

I will post some shots of my current workarounds to these & see what people think, if the workarounds are “good enough” or outside usability bounds.

I may release as Early Access with these workarounds on the scaling/styling, as functionally it all works fine. Or not!

2 Likes

I’m interested to see what solutions you come up with. I love the idea, and it’s solving some of the problems that never should’ve existed. I downloaded it yesterday, but the thumbnails are too small for me to see. The text is tiny, but more readable than the thumbnails are useable.

32" 1440p

Please check the Known Issues section on the website (scroll down towards the bottom) for an update on the screen size workaround that I’ve currently implemented, with screenshots. It’s not in the free version at the moment, tbd.

Unfortunately due to technical blockers I cannot create a fully responsive solution at this time due to inability to ferret out the needed info from the system, despite best efforts. I’m fairly certain this is due to how the UI middleware is working, as it appears to be stripping some standard information you can pull from normal websites which would allow me to roll my own responsive solution to scale with the UI properly. So for now, this is my workaround. YMMV.

Please also check the Known Issues for the filter popup radio button issue.

Let me know what you think, thanks.

The workaround I’ve posted above may fix it for this, the only real problem I’ve encounted has been on UHD at full screen. Could you post a screenshot of your graphics display settings and a screenshot of the Aircraft Manager so I can check into it? Please also post windowed and full screen screenshots of AM. There appears to be differences in how scaling is working with these. Thanks.

ps: The thumbnails are not meant to be for the same purpose as the Aircraft Selection, they just need to be at “big enough” postage stamp size to trigger plane recognition along with the name column. I actually left them off in prototyping, and I don’t want to make them too large. Will see, balancing and tuning is in progress.

Cool! Looking forward to the release! :smiley:

Perhaps the sizes are as intended, however, I find myself squinting to read it.

Windowed and full screen are identical.

Thanks for the screenshots.

Not intended by design, but by limitation. It’s fully explained as to why in the known issues section of the product page link. The free version is currently using a default 13 pixel font, my scaling workaround is using a 20px font which you can see here: 3840 x 2160 Full Screen @ 20px fontsize test

7px difference might not seem a lot but it just makes the difference between a heavy squint and still small but readable at 4k. I’m not sure why you are seeing it that small at 2K, maybe it’s the 32". I’m on a ASUS Gaming Monitor TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27"/WQHD and it’s showing as 2K monitor test, 27". Maybe it’s the 32" width kicking it into the next scaling zone.

I can’t go any higher at the moment due it then being too big on UHD, and unfortunately cannot implement my own rescaling solution due to the MSFS UI system seemingly nuking some key info I need in order to do this. So that the moment this is the best I can do. Apologies if it won’t work for you.

In the meantime I’ll keep poking at it to see if I can ferret out a better solution.

The free version will be updated later today (will post here when done) with this fontsize/row size workaround today, so you can restest it yourself if you wish, and see if it’s workable, or not.

Aplogies for boring you all with technical issues! Responsive design can be a real pita with the variety of screens around, and I’ve probably given you a bad case of eyeroll and you just want it to work. :rofl:

Thanks. Is that 2560 × 1440 (QHD) at 32"?

488???

How did you manage that? I thought I was doing well scraping together 250 for a stress storage test, but 488?

Not possible to have a little [-] and [+] font size changer buttons somewhere in the header that just notches the font pixel size dynamically, and user can decide what they prefer? (within limits of course).

488!! I thought I was “bad” lol. That must be almost everything ever made including all freeware?! :smiley:

Not at this time. Already working on another workaround like that, but more integration gotcha’s nix that atm too I’m afraid. Maybe later if I bypass the blocker for that. You’ll come to appreciate these more if you dive in yourself :sweat:

No thanks! :smiley:
MSFS is my fun space. Not my head-melt space. Have enough of that at work :wink:

1 Like

2560 x 1440 is correct. I don’t know anything about QHD, etc. My monitor specs are here, as I technically have 5 monitors:

Lol yeah, I believe I own just about every aircraft. There’s 5 that aren’t active in addon linker, so i suppose my number is 493 if those populate as 1 aircraft each. This is why I hate the skies, floats, etc all being listed as separate aircraft. I think the twin otter counts as 6 or 8 aircraft. Too bad I don’t have the energy to write reviews…I’m in the perfect position to review aircraft lol.

I’m certainly the target audience for an addon like this😂 I wish there was more layers on the aircraft selection screen. I have everything perfectly organized in windows file explorer. By default there should be a page where you choose aircraft, the a subpage to choose which variant, then another to choose the livery. Considering Asobo still hasn’t given the option to have separate registration numbers for each aircraft, forcing me to edit the livery CFG file for each one…I don’t expect any official UI changes until MSFS 2030.

Ok, I’ll stop ranting. It’s 9pm here, which is when I go to work. I’ll try out the update when I get home in the morning if there is one.

1 Like

You nut case! :rofl:
Must be hard for you to have chosen just 5 for my charts lol

It’s 10 now so that will help you! I don’t think you have voted yet?!

1 Like

5 was a huge challenge. I’ve been quietly following the topic, and have read every comment :slightly_smiling_face: I haven’t assembled my top 10 list yet, but I intend to do so before the end of the month, maybe this weekend. I’ve been procrastinating because I’m having an internal debate due to all 10 now being equals. There’s a developer who makes really good aircraft, one of which belongs on my list. But seeing the way they speak to their customers has put a bad taste in my mouth. I won’t bash them, I won’t call them out. I’m not even boycotting them. I just can’t, with a clear conscience, promote the company in any way. (Such as having it listed with an equal ranking as my top 2 or 3)

But alas, I’m derailing this thread. I’ll carry myself over to the appropriate topic when I’ve made a decision. :weary:

1 Like