New Utility Release - Aircraft Manager Free

Update 8/1/2023
New free version released. Check the Known Issues and Help guides on Aircraft Manager - Sonicviz and new download link.

No version number change:

• Added new Free version features – see Benefits and Features comparison table above
  • User controllable font size to adapt to different screen resolutions
  • Many under the hood fixes and improvements.

Barring any showstoppers that pop up, this is the final version prior to release.
Please let me know of any issues you come across.

OP updated.

1 Like

Hi, the controllable font size is perfect!

Only one observation: Mine seems to only list 117 aircraft. (If I counted correctly) After the 117 listed, it’s just blank. The scroll bar appears as if the entire list is there, but it doesn’t load anything.

The streaking/glitching only happens when I first reach that spot. It’s just empty once I scroll past. I’ve tried to post the screenshots in the correct order of my scrolling movement.

Edit to add that this isn’t new with the new update. It was present for me before, but I didn’t realize it wasn’t loading the full list.

Thanks, will check it out. I think I know what might be causing that, will run some tests.

Good to hear the resolution solution is workable.

Edit: Free download removed while I resolve this.
I’ve seen this before, thought it was fixed.

1 Like

New free version released, OP updated, link on the website.

That was a bit of a nasty one to figure out, but fixed.
I think it’s now also easier on the mouse hand UX too.

1 Like

Has mouse wheel scrolling been disabled in the latest version?

Yes.

Unfortunately, due to the way the MSFS UI works, scrolling large(ish) collections on top of that appears to come up against a hard memory limitation resulting in the kind of rendering glitching issue @JollyGreen8206 reported here: New Utility Release - Aircraft Manager Free - #62 by JollyGreen8206

It handles scrolling ok up to lists (or sub-lists) of 100 planes or so, but then glitches out. I tried various solutions, but couldn’t find a way around this. If something doesn’t work reliably, you can’t release it.
(hmmm, I know that sounds silly in light of MSFS issues, plane issues, scenery issues++ we all experience on a daily baisis but you know what I mean :rofl:)

The only reliable solution I could find to this is to implement paging instead of endless scrolling.
Pagination is much more memory friendly, and reliably works.

Of course, it’s a different UX when you’ve become habituated to a scrolling UX, but it is what it is for now.

It would be possible to do a “compromise” with pages that scroll to a certain that might be reliable (might be 2 or 3 pages worth at a time), but you would still have to page to next block eventually anyway, so I opted for full pagination to see the response.

I’ll still poke at a scrolling solution in the meantime, but for now this is the main UX for browsing.

I’d love to know what people think.
Better? Worse? Showstopper UX (I hate paging, I love scrolling) etc?

Not a fan of paging in this environment, to be honest. The compromise solution would be preferable with, say, 30 planes in a “scroll set” before you’d have to page.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not keen on pages either tbh but in practice it might be fine as I’d intend to use tag filters or favourites to narrow down the results anyway (that is kind of the point, for me). I do have more favourites than fit on one page though lol

I noticed another tiny (potential) bug. If you put a text search in on the official hangar view so it filters that view down, then go to your list page, the filter stays in effect but your text search field is empty. No way to show the entire list again without going back to the official hangar first and clearing it there or search for something else on your list and clearing it. Could it not feed in the same search term as used on the official search box?

2 Likes

I like the added tooltips when hovering the mouse. I hadn’t noticed that before.

Is it possible to do a hybrid of the scrolling and page systems? The current way gives me 49 pages lol. Since it was able to load 117 before, is it possible to do 100 per page? or 50?

2 Likes

Pagination vs scrolling

Let me run some more tests to determine the safest paged scroll range (with a safety buffer), and I’ll release a hybrid pagination/scroll version to play with.

Noted, thanks.

2 Likes

New version uploaded, available via product page download button @ Aircraft Manager - Sonicviz

Update #2 9/1/2023

• Due to memory issues with integrating into the MSFS UI a hybrid pagination/scroll system has been implemented to avoid any issues. Page size is currently set at 80 rows to stike a balance between utility, performance, and bug free use.

• Search Integration: Search via the MSFS search boxes is bi-directional (both ways) between AM and MSFS aircraft selection. AM filtering is restricted to within AM as the search functions for them do not currently exist in MSFS.

1 Like

I love it! I’m down to 7 pages, which is perfect! I seem to be limited to 1 character in the tag box instead of 10, but I’m actually not bothered by that at the moment. I can work around it.

I only had a quick look before heading out, but it looks great from what I saw. I’ve never seen a product be fixed and improved so quickly. I’m impressed

1 Like

Tags are 30 characters in the pro version, so you can do multiple descriptive tagging, but the free lite is only 1 character to give you a sense of it. However, even with “only” 1 character it’s fully usable if you’re creative. Plus it’s fast to only have to type one letter :wink:

In english, that’s 26 characters + 10 numbers, so 36 tags to play with. Only single tagging, and no filtering, just sorting, but still workable.

Ah, ok. After I made that comment, I thought to myself that I should’ve checked the free vs pro again before typing that😅 I definitely should have. My apologies. And you’re exactly right on 1 character still being very useful, which is why I’m perfectly ok with it. (I’ll be getting pro whenever it’s available anyway)

1 Like

Awesome, enjoy!

A quick suggestion: The JPG file “AircraftManager-QuickHelpGuideV2” that downloads with the free version makes no indication of what’s included with the free vs the pro. I believe that’s what had me confused, as it only says 30. (It also includes info on the “Fav” column, which isn’t part of the free version it downloaded with. Maybe a quick help guide specific to the free version will help with some confusion later. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Readme.txt has pointer to the website for more info, but noted. Will do, thanks.

The less confusion the better!

Works great, thanks!

1 Like

Sounds perfect!
I won’t be able to get on my PC for a couple of days now but don’t let me hold you up :rofl:

1 Like

Great, have fun!

Update:
Download package now updated with new help files++

Have a good one!

1 Like