New Varjo Aero - Consumer VR Device

Beg your pardon, but what are you using SteamVR for? It is not needed to run MSFS with the Aero and you will probably even get better performance without it.

If you bought MSFS via Steam, you’ll need Steam though, but this doesn’t equal to SteamVR.

Aero will not function without Steam VR running. Even if using Open XR it still needs Steam VR for tracking. That is why Steam VR will start in background when just launching a game with only Varjo Base running.

Correct, but that’s SteamVR runtimes one usually has not reason to mess with. So I don’t understand why one would want to start or restart SteamVR?

It really does not matter, one can start Steam VR or let it start in background automatically, does not make any difference. I myself have a shortcut to vrstartup.exe in Steam VR on my desktop, I launch Varjo Base, then launch Steam VR with that shortcut and off I go. Everything running great for me on my end.

Now that’s interesting because if I launch SteamVR manually before trying to launch a VR app, it will throw an error and I won’t get any image in the Aero. That’s why I only launch VB and then launch the VR app from my Steam Library without previously launching SteamVR by hand. Or, as with DCS, just launch it from the Desktop shortcut and VB will get the runtimes sorted in the background.

If you get that error then Steam VR is already running most likely;. Note if you happen to be logged into Steam then when you launch Varjo Base it launches Steam VR in the background. So in that case it is already running for you.

Quick update, customer support have contacted me and Varjo are sending out a replacement headset.
Once Varjo responded to the ticket their communication was first class, I replied to an email tonight re contact information etc and got a reply back within 10 minutes.
Not sure what the time frame re replacement is though I can still use my current one in the meantime.

1 Like

That is great hopefully they will get you sorted soon.

1 Like

It appears their replacements usually ship from China, and they currently have a lot of RMAs to process, so expect it to take a couple of weeks. They should drop you a tracking number as soon as it’s on the way. Good luck with yours! :wink:

I am really glad I have not had any issues with mine. And I mean I have put a ■■■■ load of hours on this thing in the last 4 weeks that I have had it. There are good units out there gang. I have used mine heavily (several hours) every day since getting it. I thought I was addicted to VR before, now it is just worse LOL.

2 Likes

I am using steamvr for motion compensation. I think anyway steamvr is running in the background

As you guys seem much more knowledgeable than me about the Aero, I have another issue with my vive controllers: they are recognized in steamvr and I can see them in my Aero, but the buttons controller do not work. For instance I can’t launch steamvr dashboard with my controller. What am I missing :grimacing:?

Edit:found the answer here:Using controllers - Varjo.com

1 Like

Latest SteamVR Beta version, msfs latest version (non Beta).

1 Like

How do you guys access the steamvr dashboard with the aero ? I have vive controllers but they do not work (known limitation). I don’t know how I can launch the vr dashboard as a result… maybe I’ll buy index controller
Can an Aero owner confirm that one can launch the steamvr dashboard with an index controller ?

Yes I can no problem with my Index controllers.
Have you tried pressing the system button on the Aero headset at least to launch the Steam VR dashboard?

Yes I tried the headset buttons but it does not open the vr dashboard…Thanks for the feedback, I have to buy index controller I guess… don’t know why varjo did not make it work with the vive controllers :pensive:

Check in Varjo Base settings for any option to enable that system button in Steam VR. I don’t have mine up and running at the moment but there may be a setting in there. Also check in Steam VR settings. I know there is a setting in there to enable the Dashboard.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did not see anyrhing to customize the headset buttons on varjo base. As for steamvr, there is indeed an option to open dashboard at launch but it is not working.
I will have to fork out another 300 bucks for index controllers, make me wonder if the aero is really worth that much. Because it lacks also motionreprojection. Perf is fantastic (40 fps over sydney) but its not completely fluid as a result. I hope varjo will soon address these shortcomings to make this headset live up to its huge potential

They have said they are working on motion reprojection so hopefully that is available soon.

I am on MSFS SU8 beta. I hope this bug has not been introduced with SU8…Everytime steamvr crashes, I have to relaunch MSFS :grimacing:

Edit: this bug happens only with the varjo openxr runtime, not with the steamvr openxr runtime. Anyway I found the steamvr openxr runtime gives smoother performance

1 Like