Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions

This is still the “glow in the dark” terrain we’ve had since release (as well as since mid-alpha, when the extremely promising night tech got replaced by this sepia mask downgrade)

(edit. Note how short the actual lamps are rendered in the bottom of the screenshot, early alphas showed lamps into the horizon)

10 Likes

The Australian Bush is lit up like a fairy land. Even bush tracks 100 miles from the nearest town that get 3 cars a month have street lights.

My solution has been to not fly at night.

4 Likes

It’s been a year since this sim launched and basically, there’s still plenty of visual stuff that’s worse than before it launched. The night flying is the most egregious after clouds maybe. And at the rate things are getting biffed up every time they release a patch, I fully expect it to be years before we see significant improvements.

1 Like

Where is it? I’ve never seen that, when it’s night time, my game is completely black unless I’m above a lit city.
I’m playing in VR and I’d like to go check this area. Thanks!
EDIT: Dubai, didn’t see the islands.

I’ve submitted a wish list for the white cloud bleed suggestion i posted above. If this is something you would like to see implimented to improve on night flying immersion do please share your vote.

4 Likes

I hope we can have these images after SU 6+7

9 Likes

Its hard to understand why the heck they changed the nice looking early Alpha night lighting into this one and even think it looks good…

5 Likes

Because a lot of people seem to like Disneyland fairy lights everywhere ?

They basically seem to have done it as a result of forum whining.

Presumably from the same people that think the Windows Wallpaper of unnaturally red super-saturated sunsets and ridiculously green landscapes with vivid blue skies look good.

3 Likes

Agreed.

There are so many opinions floating around on these forums - many of which are incorrect, uninformed, unintelligent, or at least diametrically opposed.

I admire Asobo for heeding community concerns, but the apparent deviation from their initial and well-meaning interpretation of what is ‘realistic’ is perhaps an indication that democracy is often the path to an average outcome.

I thought cloud volumetric night lighting was supposed to be working now? Is this a setting issue? No lights through clouds from aircraft anymore :frowning:

Clouds are so bad rn. They used to look “holy s#it… I can’t tell that from real.” Now they look like a tempera painting—all splotchy and layered. Not to mention I don’t see thunderheads anymore and it’s constantly lightning even when there’s no clouds around. And I just finished a flight where I could see the ground lit up from FL380, but as soon as the lightning would flash (basically 75% of the way from Chicago to Phoenix) I could only see clouds out the window and couldn’t see the ground through them. SMH

5 Likes

It was at least slightly better in SU4 with the vastly extended highway and major street lights that had variations in the color and brightness throughout. SU5 completely reverted it back to SU3 style or further back even. It’s almost like SU4 was a totally different development fork whose implementations were abandoned, with SU5 being a direct successor to SU3.

2 Likes

Paintin’ the town brown… guess Ween took over development from Asobo. Also, why can I see so many stars through the clouds?? Also also, flying through a thunderstorm. OBVIOUSLY.

2 Likes

I agree totally!!!

How they stuffed it up so bad is beyond me. The night lighting used to look soo good. Now its one big ugly mess I dont even fly at night.

Who in their right mind thought lets give a glow to the terrain at night and decrease the distance the lights go.

This is Sydney at night. The airport terrain and its surroundings are lit up with a terrible looking glow. This is not what it looks like at night from the air NOWHERE near.

1 Like

Browntown Syndey is looking especially brown indeed.

4 Likes

I was able to do the update (in three steps), it is not like updates for other program’s, ridiculous! I wanted to check out the live weather, no more altitude problem but in VR at night the ground lights look like reflections in the sky
rather then matching up with the streets, building, etc. Can’t Asobo get anything right?

It’s a new bug, you need to put the scale resolution to 100.
And no, it seems they can’t.

This specific WU6 bug is now logged (meaning they are working on it) and is discussed in this topic:
[BUG LOGGED] WU6 and night lighting broken

Sorry, didn’t mean to circumvent this topic.

2 Likes

Same here, absolutely unflyable at night. It’s nausea inducing