No live weather at all (February 2023)

Solved on a topic does not mean an issue is solved. As this forum is an “out-of-the-box” software, solved is used to bring a post to the top of the topic. When an issue is solved, the topic is closed indicating it’s solved, a very large banner at the top of the main forum is removed, and a fixed-on-live tag used.

As noted,

7 Likes

Welcome to the community buddy!!! Good to see you here!!

Using a VPN is not a guaranteed solution. Here are some additional details as to why:

Some of the Azure cache servers that are used to distribute Live Weather data are not updating correctly to the latest versions of the data.

The game checks for new data very regularly but not from one server, meaning that from one request to another, the game client might hit a different server. The client can then receive data that is up-to-date OR data that is several hours/days old.

We have requested Azure engineers assistance and are waiting for the results of their investigation. In the meantime we are also exploring other potential solutions to circumvent the issue.

41 Likes

Finally we have a proper answer, thanks. :slight_smile:

Thanks again.

This is the kind of information we are genuinely interested in.

6 Likes

Definitely the kind of communication that is appropriate, thanks. I think most people realize it cannot be fixed overnight, but appreciate the effort and some communication.

11 Likes

i could not agree more,
and frankly the statement that “Solved does not mean solved” is ridiculous,
you dont redefine the english language to suit some forum usage for tags
its totally confusing and misleading and it should be removed imo

finding the possible cause of an issue is not the same as fixing or “Solving” that issue
i honestly came here and read this post Looking for this ‘Solution’ because i Still Have the issue

it is great to see that progress has been made and i thank the Support Team for keeping us in the loop in this manner

4 Likes

What the moderator means is, the software used to create this forum (called Discourse) has pre-defined functions (like ‘solved’) that they make use of to pin a particular answer at the top. It’s just the semantics of the software, read it to mean “informative current info”.

7 Likes

Maybe useful information: I had the problem and for me it is solved since yesterday. Remedy: I updated my BIOS. Due to an upgrade from 12900k to 13900k I had to do this. Surprisingly, after the bios update (still on the 12900k) the clear skies bug dissapeared!!! I have no explanation just an observation. I have an MSI Pro Z690-A motherboard.

Just updating last information from my side (I know the forum says it is “solved” but this is just a forum technicality):

• Live weather: NO CLOUDS, JUST MIST (wind, atm. pressure seem OK).
  • METAR in game: Two days old (February 07)
  • Server: West Europe
  • My location: Spain
  • Flying region: out of KEWR

Many thanks to you for this explanation! This provides us the level of detail we need to help MS/Asobo troubleshoot the problem and to manage expectations. :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Hello, „LIVE Weather“ is not working for me,I am in Germany.
Metar is not working.
If I fly in GB, Weather looks like „LIVE Weather“………?.?

I STRONGLY suggest you read this post by Bugheadz describing the true cause of the issue. Your suggestion/comment is not valid: please remember that correlation is not necessarily causation

3 Likes

I came up with the idea after reading your post @Bugheadz

General Options > Data > Live Weather

Turn off, save, turn on and save (during the session, not in the main menu) and return to the game. Once the weather and METAR came back the first time, once the second time, the third time again the first time :slight_smile:

I don’t know how many Azure servers support weather and which one is broken but this way you can connect to another one that works and have live weather.

I am from Greece. I confirmed that using a VPN from Japan server fixes the issue for me.

Connect the VPN BEFORE starting MSFS, as it clearly decids on which server to use for weather upon start.

I will see if this is consistent by testing other areas also and making full flights and will report back

I feel for them. Worked in IT on the software development side, but IBM was contracted to handle all the servers. What a mess. We needed our blood pressure meds handy at all times.

5 Likes

Poland, western Europe server, still got no live weather at any airport.

This morning I have flown from LOWW to EPGD and after few minutes after spawn seemed like the weather was ok but only in southern direction.

1 Like

I just had a bounce around the world, and it worked at all destinations. I then tried to break it by switching live weather on/off, while also changing locations. No luck, I had the correct METAR each time.

The airports I tried are below, but it doesn’t sound like that is relevant in any way, other than these airports have weather stations so we aren’t looking at an inaccurate blend of METAR plus Meteoblue forcasts.

EGHI
TNCM
KSFO
ZSSS

Thank you for this! This is what we’ve been asking for. Very much appreciated.

1 Like

That was im refering to when i spoke some posts above about improving support communication here in the forums.
Thx for a clear statement und keeping us updated by first-hand.