No more VR - Windows update - Reverb G2

Dear all,

Just this morning, I went from version 1909 to 20H2 on Windows 10, and the VR has stop working in MSFS…

I’m using a Reverb G2 with WMR. The headset is working perfectly, all others sims and games are ok (P3D, XP, Condor, DCS, Alyx…). But MSFS doesn’t recognize the VR anymore.

The shortcut doesn’t anything anymore, and the Option / General / VR / Switch to VR button is neither… It’s like I don’t have a VR headset…

Does anyone has an idea about how to solve this ?
Thank you for your help.

Have a nice flight.
Tim

Tim,
Did you check that the OpenXR layer (app) is still there?

I would assume you are launching WMR before starting up MSFS? That’s the order I always have to follow or MSFS won’t recognize the headset and show me the VR option. And if other games/sims are working then it’s clearly something with MSFS not recognizing the WMR running in the background. Maybe try a complete shutdown and restart, launch WMR and then launch MSFS (so don’t run any other sims or games in VR before you try MSFS) to make sure nothing else is “hanging onto” the headset. You could also try deleting and re-installing WMR to make sure it’s clean and the install of the new version of WIN10 didn’t mess something up.

Good call on the OpenXR question. The App is here, but doesn’t start.
I uninstalled the Mixed Reality Portal and OpenXR, restart the computer, reinstall both applications.

But OpenXR still doesn’t start : the openxr windows opens, then close immediatly. And now the sound is broken in the headset (sizzling)…

I tried a new install of all VR apps, uninstalled and reinstalled nVidia drivers, etc… I’m out of ideas… Help !

Everything seems to be working perfectly, headset, games, etc… appart from that MSFS is just acting as if I don’t have a VR headset…

I made a perfectly fine flight just this morning before the update… I went from 1909 to 20H2, build 19042.867.

In the worst case, go to Windows Settings, have your WVR uninstalled and then reinstall it.

Otherwise, you could check in the Event Viewer, Windows Log, Application section.
If OpenXR crashes, there may be an Application Crash entry with, potentially, some clues in there.

That would be the best case ! :wink: I already uninstalled and reinstalled WMR twice yet, without success… :wink:
I will check the event viewer.

P.S. : just checked, there is no entry about OpenXR…

It could be anything. I would like to offer a few suggestions.
Windows has a “fix Windows” that will fix the OS without removing any apps. You might want to try that. (Fix reg error)
Force a Checkdisk on c: (Fix possible errors on the os drive)
Check xbox nat settings/ your connection is working. (Game security)
Reset your time/clock on your PC (Might not apply here, but having an out of sync clock with Xbox nat results in no access to many MS games including MSFS
Plug your G2 into a different USB port. Take note all usb ports come in pairs. To rule out a usb port be sure to plug it into a different pair of usb ports. (Rule out bad port or bad reg entry.)
Re install MSFS (Obvious)
Roll back the windows update. (Last resort.)

Hope this helps
Cheers
PACO572

I rolled back the Windows to 1909, with no success.
I won’t reintall MSFS, as it is working perfectly appart from VR and with my connexion I need 2 or 3 days to install.
The connexion in the sim and XBox is ok.
I will try USB, but it doesn’t make sens to me as the headset is fine in every other game.
I also tried to repair MSFS.

I will try to repair Windows.

I tried to reinstall the “core” of MSFS (the part that install on C: before we choose another path on the update screen of the sim). It’s only about 1.5Go, and I assumed the VR would be controlled there, and not in the “official / onestore” folder.

But it didn’t solved anything.

I really can’t launch anymore the openxr developper tools, so I really guess the problem comes from openxr. But I can’t find how to solve it. I reinstalled it at least 5 times now

• stopping mixed reality portal,
  • unplugging the headset,
  • uninstalling openxr,
  • uninstalling mixed reality portal,
  • restarting PC,
  • plugging the headset,
  • installing mixed reality portal,
  • it tells me the soft is not ready for openxr app,
  • clic on fix it,
  • it tells me it’s ready to go,
  • restarting the PC,
  • launching MSFS…

I’m out of ideas at this point…

It is normal that OpenXR does not launch, it is OpenXR developer who can launch to make the settings.
Je suis sous Windows 10 Pro 20H2 avec une RX 6800 XT et la VR avec le HP Reverb G2 avec MSFS.

Tu dois installer OpenXR développeur. Tu le lances et sur le premier onglet, tu cliques sur Activer OpenXR comme Runtime (Je te le dis de mémoire, mais tu devrais comprendre.

On the other hand, I do not want to break the morale, a RX 6800 XT with the HP Reverb G2 is insured crashes Reverb G2 avec 6800XT Crashing

Thanks for your reply but I quote myself : “I really can’t launch anymore the openxr developper tools

Again, everything was working fine up to this morning, after the Windows update.

1. Right-click your Start menu and select Run .
  2. Type “regedit” (without quotes) and press Enter. This will launch the registry editor.
  3. Find the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Khronos OpenXR / 1
    Do you have that address?
    C: WINDOWS system32 MixedRealityRuntime.json

Yes, I have this address.

If you have this address, then you should be able to launch VR with the Ctrl + Tab shortcut. Unless OpenXR is not activated …

I tried looking for a solution, but other than reinstalling Windows 10 I couldn’t find anything.
If you are lucky enough to have System Restore enabled, you can try to restore before installing any VR apps.

Personally, I have 2 Windows 10 installations on my PC. With one I have no problem, apart from these crashes in VR with the RX 6800 XT and the HB Reverb G2.
On the 2nd installation, which is a clone of the first, I have no sound coming out of the HB Reverb G2.
This is what have been called: The joys of computing.

You can try with the SteamVR runtime (Installs steamVR)

In the registry you change this address C: WINDOWS system32 MixedRealityRuntime.json
By that one
C: \ Program Files (x86) Steam \ steamapps \ SteamVR \ steamvr_win64.json

Check it out, so you never know (I haven’t read it)
Don’t set location of OpenXR runtime with the registry, use OpenXR Lo

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to force steamvr_win64.json, and the performance are really bad, but it works !
So I guess it confirms that the problem comes from OpenXR:

1 - I can’t run the OpenXR Developper Tools
2 - MSFS works in VR through SteamVR

Problem is : I don’t know how to force a OpenXR repair. I really don’t want to reinstall W10 just for a small module fault…

Thank you for your help !

Getting started with OpenXR

Solving OpenXR Problems

The only thing you can try:
To reactivate the OpenXR Windows Mixed Reality runtime, launch the Mixed Reality Portal from the Start menu, and select “fix” at the top of the window. If this button is missing, the OpenXR runtime is already active.

So I guess the OpenXR runtime is already active.
I get the fix buton only on the first start, after a fresh intall of OpenXR. MRP then tells me I’m good to go, but it doesn’t work…

Try installing the earlier OXR version 105.2102.11004.0 after uninstalling/cleaning out your current one. Restart computer, and launch OXR making sure your developer settings (resolution/rendering) are good. Then, restart again. Launch WMR first, then MSFS 2020. I’m not sure what/if any settings you may have manually modified in your register–which may become a slippery slope. Worst case, reinstall Win10 and build MSFS back step by step to exclude software anomalies. I have Reverb G2 and have the latest Win10 update. I noticed when I started WMR it froze up, so I restarted computer, started WMR then MSFS and it worked. Not sure but there could be some driver/codecs etc that were modified in the latest Win10 push that is affecting the interface. The OpenXR guys may need to hotfix it and push an update to accommodate. Best of luck.

Did you try CCleaner? It removes all unused and corrupted registry keys. You can use the free version for this.
It helped me many times when my pc gave me the middle finger.