Non Stop CTDs After SU8

GTX 1660 Super. I’m happy with the performance. Have the frames locked at 30.

Since SU8, I have reproducible CTD, when I am about to land, maybe 500ft AGL. Furthermore, occasionally directly after start. This is happing in safe mode, cleared rolling cache, deinstalling all paid and free addons (FSUIPC, Twin Otter, FSRealistic, etc.) and clearing the Commuinty folder. This happens in any aircraft I have from Cessna 152 to TBM or A320, stock or modded or paid.
Changing/Updating the NVidia driver had no effect, either.

In the event viewer it is recorded that MSFS caused a crash either in ctl.dll or ntdll.dll, but that’s it.
Typically I am flying on med graphics mostly, getting 25-30 fps on a I5-7500/1080 Ti system

My last hope is an entire re-install, but from what I have heard here, I believe that might be a small hope only.

SU7 was super smooth, everything worked fine (at least for me), but the experiment for SU8 failed.
I am feeling like a paying beta tester, not having any influence on what is going on, as there is not even a log-file exisiting, at least., or an option to roll back the versions. This is not professional and not acceptable for the current status of development.

I am flying MSFS since Version 2 to P3D and then XP11, as there was no further flight sim improvement in sight. When MSFS came out, I had the joyful hope that MS would have taken XP11 as a state-of-the-art flight sim and had the target to impove this level further on, at least over time.
With SU7, I got the feeling for the first time that now, the team learned their lessons, but with the experiences since SU8, I cannot wait until XP12 will be relased. From what I have seen so far, scenery is by far not as fine as MSFS, but the planes are great, ATC is quite improved, and assuming that life traffic is at least at the level of XP11, the overall immerison seems to be really nice. And more important: You don’t have to be afraid that after a 6 hours flight from JFK to London you cannot land your big iron.This is a real simulator and not a bing-scenery viewer…

Really disappointed… :sob:
This is the first time ever, I wrote in this forum, and I don’t know if this helps anyone, but my frustration level is out of bounds.

it is understandable, but you have to realise thee are many people flying around wihout
much issues.
and do you really think xp12 will be without bugs?

I managed to find the reason for my CTDs:
A few days before I noticed the problems I had changed the mouse driver from “Logitech Setpoint” to “Logitech Options”. As soon as I changed it back the problems were gone.

Edit 1:
Looks like I was being premature … Still having problems, but not as bad as before.

Edit 2:
After deinstalling Avast Anti Virus all went back to normal.

1 Like

I had two CTDs in a row on first starting SU8. I removed OC on my 2080 GPU and they went away. Re-applied the OC and crashes started again. Lesson learned.

On the 1660, I would go to the lowest graphic settings and keep upping the settings until you get CTDs. My laptop has a 1660 and if I tried to Ultra or high, it would crash.

I’ve experienced CTD’s on the regular since SU8. Removal of community mods (which consisted all of the PMS50 GPS, We Love VFR Region 2, Pushback Toolbar, and Navigraph) did not help. Removing the overclock from both my Ryzen 5600X and 2070 Super didn’t help, resetting the app via windows store/xbox app didn’t help, clean installation didn’t help.

Its disheartnening because I enjoyed the game. I wanted to give it a chance and I wanted to see it flourish. But it just hasn’t materialized, at least not for me. More power to those who have not had issues with this game and please don’t view this as me bashing the title. Is it an achievement for the genera? Yes. Is it incredibly beautiful? Yes.

But for me, and after seeing others rise up in complaint when I peruse these forums for potential fixes every time the game has some form of update and new bugs show themselves, its just not worth it anymore. It was a nice run while it lasted Asobo and MSFS.

Again, regards to those who have no issues and still find enjoyment in this game. I hope you continue to enjoy it in the future.

1 Like

It’s a very strange situation on the whole. I get that there are so many hardware configurations in the “PC space” but it should not be this way.

I have a particularly unusual and actually pretty weak setup, but for me it’s been super stable for a long time (running most things on High) - even through the last two system updates I’ve had no real problems so it seems like a “luck of the draw” situation. Not helped by having a Ninja PC. Maybe a supercomputer even makes it WORSE in some cases. Very odd indeed.

I had one single CTD since SU8 which I put down to a new freeware airport I was trying to land at for the first time. Loading into that airport after reboot and it was fine.

The only thing I’ve had “different” since SU8 is on loading into a plane, especially in UK (where I have most freeware + payware airport add-ons) I get the spinning wheel data read/write indicator at bottom-right for ages and if I fly whilst that is visible I get really bad stutters. Seems better in my most recent couple of sessions, but still there. Only in England though! Not sure WHAT it really means or how to diagnose it.

I’ve noticed many things that consistently expose the fragile nature of this complicated game:

1. Fiddling with game settings while in cruise flight. This - our ONLY reasonable alternative, given there’s NO reference documentation - is an attempt to both learn what’s actually possible within the game and to (ideally) improve performance and appearance over time.

2. Rapid setting selection and deselection. Jumping in and out of real world weather is one example. AP is another. Not knowing exactly what a deliberate (or, more dangerous, accidental) key press does, is another. All can be game fatal when you suddenly have to work the unexpected result.

3. Continuing to naively expect that your previously reliable settings will be retained between updates. This includes add-ons.

4. Trusting that new features will actually work.

5. The developer’s consistent tendency to assume initial external yoke, throttle and mixture value settings, then abruptly and dramatically change flight conditions once you finally activated that control and finally supplied them with a real number.

Most of these can be avoided with three actions:

1. Thoroughly pre-flight ALL game settings and flight control operations before flight. No RL pilot gets to be old by assuming “It’s all good”.

2. “If it ain’t currently broke don’t attempt to fix it.” For long flights follow your standard procedures. Leave experimenting with your game and flight control settings for short test pilot flights where you deliberately start with the expectation that it IS NOT going to work (and I could die because of it).

3. Always keep your alternatives open. Always think: “If my next action goes bad, what I’m I going to do about it?” If you can’t identify a good alternative, don’t do it.

2 Likes

So, as mentioned before, I re-installed up my whole system.
Full deinstallation, reboot, re-install → Vanilla status. Updated to the latest NVidia drivers.

Same reproducable CTD when flying any stock aircraft. Tested at different airports such as Wick, EDDR, EDDF and Gatwick. Every time when I am about or just have landed, CTD occurs.

I am out of my options. Anone any idea what else could be done?

Maybe the report of the Event Viewer helps (sorry in German):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.23.12.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: clr.dll, Version: 4.8.4470.0, Zeitstempel: 0x61b72dcc
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000000000669e40
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x3a40
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d839fe3fdeddd1
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: …\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.23.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: …\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
Berichtskennung: 3e79c49a-b8fc-41d6-86f9-1aacfa8d5ac3
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.23.12.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

I am done…

Hello, try this.

I am getting tons of CTD’s since installing Perfect Flight Beautiful World. I start it and it runs good, until I open VR Map plug-in or RTSS, then immediate CTD. VERY frustrating. Just turned off Motion Blur, which may be helping - not helping.

Also, regarding VR Map (plug-in) v0.0.7, suddenly the Open Street Map no longer works, only the Stamen Terrain. Anybody else with this issue ?

The only way to keep it from happening is to not open RTSS or VR Map plug-in …

Hi, thanks for your hint.

This need to wait for a couple of days as I will be covered up with other stuff. When I was able to try this I will come back and report the outcome.

I completely agree. Application protection from bad code was supposed to be protected by using MS approved drivers and API’s!

What happened?

I’m in CTD hell.

Moved to #self-service:install-performance-graphics

Well since I wrote that I’ve discovered that I have bad (unflyable) stutters in a lot of areas. Not necessarily heavy / big or photogrammetry cities. Only commonality is built up areas (autogen) but even villages or small towns exhibit the problem. This is AFTER the spinning wheel thingamy has settled down. I don’t get it.

Really struggling to diagnose as even with all mods disabled it does it. I haven’t had much time to dig into it this weekend so hope to make some progress tomorrow but it’s definitely only since SU8. Never had problems like this before and it’s really peeing me off now :frowning:

Actually, I did try them lowest settings as I firmly believe this CTD issue may be rooted in the graphics.

Disabling HAGs the last time fixed the issue, then SU8 came along and that didn’t fix it this time. Almost seems like it’s a caching / buffer overflow issue somewhere.

The CTD’s for most seem to happen once the aircraft is active. I’ve noticed just prior to many of my own CTD’s, the graphics slow and tear then I get the CTD. That seems to indicate that perhaps a cache of some sort runs out and kaboom. Dunno.

1 Like

For the heck of it,try to disable the HAG’s setting Windows. This fixed many a simmers problems prior to SU8. It didn’t fix my CTD’s but might fix your stutters.

Sorry I only just seen your reply. HAGS was already off. Tried it switched on just to see and still not good. Seems to be worse when the plane is yawing or pitching very rapidly. In bad wind weather where it’s swinging about and oscillating quickly the stutters come back even when not in dense scenery area.

I managed to make it playable again. Silly me was testing various settings in an area where I had a high resolution mesh (Switzerland 10 or 20 mesh). Removing that helped immensely and still looks amazing so no great loss. That mesh alone was taking my RAM usage up from about 54% to 84%!!!

Problem now is in amongst photogrammetry areas. I am sure it’s CPU limit being hit -
Nothing to do with my GPU (actually it’s a eGPU RTX 2070 over thunderbolt) because if I switch on the CPU Turbo mode it’s a lot less bad and only hits me in those fast moving (change of direction) moments and if I am flying very low. Still super annoying. Had to turn Terrain LoD down to like 35 and Object LoD at 65 to get it mostly smooth 30fps but it still hitches quite often.

On the plus side WU8 has stopped the stupid loading graphic from being on screen for a good 2 mins on loading into a runway. It’s probably just 30 seconds I need to wait now. Really weird software!! Wish I could find the perfect settings hahah

1 Like

Hi all,

my problem could be solved following this hint:

Thanks, MichaMMA who made me aware of this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.