Now if I had one guess about the upcoming World Update X

Satellite data from Moon and the inner planets!
And add a new flight physics to completely leave earth´s orbit like in the great space flight simulator I loved so much in the old days (I think it came out in 2006 or so).

Okay this was just some cool idea, of course you can also do North Korea + China in the next update too :smiley: (skipping installation)…

1 Like

:smiley:
you can’t fly it, but you can land on it

with one of those :wink:

1 Like

I don’t get why it made you watch a two hour show. News sites and media do report things as well, you would have found out like ten minutes after the announcement anyway.

It seems perfectly fair that Microsoft choose to announce things at an event to encourage people to watch and generate interest. The 40th Annniversary edition sounds great to me, and whatever the world update is on the 15th I’m looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Well they’ve implemented some kind of thrusters for the pelican, maybe my moon/Mars bet is actually going to be correct :exploding_head:

I know many want all the focus on normal aviation (I’m usually one of them, eg I haven’t even downloaded the top gun dlc) but I do quite like the idea of exploring Mars mountains and canyons in full scale VR! I believe the photo data and some dem exists so it could be relatively low development time for a big payoff that would increase the Sim’s profile further which is only a good thing.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why everytime someone suggest budget better be spend elsewhere the brigade comes out and yells gatekeeping.

It’s like when you’re building a house, and your wife goes and spends money on christmas decoration, big beautiful tree, crystal balls, artificial snow, meanwhile the basement is flooded, half the light switches might electrocute you and heating only works from 2-6pm. Only the entrace hallway has a nice paint on it, some furniture, so as long as you don’t venture very deep I guess you would never know about the holes in the walls in other parts of the house.

No one wants to deny anyone a little fun with christmas deco, yay holiday spirit. And the house won’t be complete soon, we understand. But perhaps, maybe, you know that money would have been better spent on the fundamentals.

4 Likes

The thing is Microsoft/Asobo have a much better understanding of their own development processes, finances, user base etc than we do.

The criticisms of Asobo and Microsoft sometimes mirror armchair sports fans who lambest a manager for not playing x player or making a wrong substitution. The majority of us, (including myself), have no idea whatsover as to how to develop software, what deals and negotiations are being made wtih third parties, what coding difficulties, Direct X11 to DirectX12 transitional difficulties there are, what MSFS fan base actually is, the value of importing easter egg type content from other beloved franchises into the sim is etc.

Ultimately, we have to accept that they understand their own product a lot more than we do, and that they also have contractual obligations, and perfectly reasonable desire to extend their MSFS fanbase by tempting in new users.

Just imagine the amount of work that has gone into organising this 40 Anniversary Edition, and all of the content that we are going to get for free. They have a potential target userbase of millions of people, on both PC and console. Not all of them them will want the same identical things so they are trying to offer a variety of content. They have done a great job imo.

8 Likes

Someone above there already guessed WU10 we will be presented tomorrow might be the moon. Makes perfect sense to me.
And guess when the next full moon will be in Redmond? There are no concidences…

1 Like

World uptade of the moon? What did you drunk?!

3 Likes

… but only if we can (have to) fly from Earth to Mars in realtime - I mean, it’s all about realism, isn’t it :slight_smile:

If they did and it was accurately mapped that would be absolutely epic in my opinion!

1 Like

What did the Asobo person drink that decided to put a fictional spaceship into the marketplace two days before WU 10? It would make sense.

1 Like

“That’s no moon…”

1 Like

It‘s strawberry moon tomorrow in Redmond

Ukraine and Antonov An-225 as Local Legend I hope :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

Or it’s raspberry. There’s only one man who would dare give me the raspberry …

1 Like

L-O-N-E S-T-A-R-R!

UPDATE: NOW we need this aircraft, too:

grafik

2 Likes

Correct ! As mentioned I have not downloaded the Reno or Top Gun DLCs but do not begrudge them creating it or others enjoying it. The more fans and money into this industry the better for all of us. And who knows, this sim that we are all so interested in may never have been developed at all if it was not for projected additional users through these features. I would be surprised if the funding made sense if targetting the xplane user base only.

2 Likes

By that logic nobody can ever comment on or criticize anything ever unless they are they one calling the shots. They know best, we just gotta trust them.

You are right, we gotta trust that they do what’s best for the franchise, but part of that is voicing our concerns so they have the information. For example, if you’d like them to spend money on creating…I dunno…an x-fighter next, then you can create a wishlist post for it. Personally I’d rather they teach ATC that Europe uses QNH for baro for example…but hey, that’s just me (yes I know they are different teams…but ultimately everything comes down to where budget gets allocated).

2 Likes

Just having a basic understanding of how business works, I’m fairly sure that creating a 40th anniversary edition has nothing whatsoever to do with improving ATC. It’s likely to be an entirely separate budget stream, Microsoft funding a special commemorative edition, with its own budget, release timeline and development schedule.

As a company, Microsoft will want to ensure that their longest running franchise gets lot of publicity, attention and new users to the platform.

It’s like a country putting in a bid to host a world cup or an Olympics Games, and people grumbling that they shouldn’t be doing that until they invest more inner city housing or until they have tightened tax laws for online companies, the two have nothing to do with each other.

That’s a fair point, and I actually agree somewhat. But I also think in both cases the optics of it just aren’t good.

1 Like