NOW RELEASED - Shorts Sd3-30 / Sd3-60 and Sherpa project from Blackbox

Agreed… it was added for “flightsimness” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Performance information and flaps settings in this checklist seem to differ from what there is in the tutorial in regards to takeoff information. The checklists specifies either a flap 4 or flap 15 takeoff, whereas the tutorial tells the player to use flap 8 for takeoff.

I guess it’s the case like with the DC-3 or Antonov An-2. There are as many procedures as there are operators, and as many flying styles as there are pilots (and everyone thinks their way is the best)

Are there any plans for visible cargo? Would greatly add to the immersion.

3 Likes

Would you ever consider splitting the package between all cargo and all passenger?

No i’m sorry … its getting very complex in the file structure already … and what next ?
all red ones and green ones ? LOL

Its easy enough to select a cargo Airframe from the menu

1 Like

This is great fun!

Glad this has finally arrived. Great fun for short hops.

What are the flap/approach speeds for the 360, and what happens if the Electrical Master switch is left in the middle position?

Any chance of engines running at the gate, with Ctrl+E or another option? Everything has a tablet these days.

Pacific Coastal, anyone?

I only ask because some people only fly passenger routes, and others (not mentioning my own name here) prefer to fly cargo because boxed don’t scream when you pull of an I-almost-died-right-before-I-greased-it approach.

But at least the passenger variants provide more AI variety on the ramp!

I use vjoy for the condition lever. have you experience with this? this is the easiest and safest way for nearly all condition only levers. I bound vjoy axis RX and RY to Condition lever 1 and 2 and then use Axis and Ohs to bind the Vjoy Axises to me levers.
With this method, you avoid errors, when they have programmed something fancy on the internal xml with these levers.

Cheers

The more I fly her the loveIm in…)

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, JayDee. I had used vJoy in the past but abandoned it when I started using AAO. Might need to revisit that decision.

1 Like

With respect, at this price point it’s common to have a custom load manager and a couple of custom ground vehicles to handle things like this. I for one hate using the default MSFS ground equipment and ATC menu to get to it and was disappointed working through the tutorial to see that’s how I had to load the aircraft and handle ground power, etc.

A stowable, clickable clipboard, just as an example, that lets you load the aircraft, hide the copilot (without removing the weight), close and open doors, connect some basic GSE, etc. would be quite welcome.

There’s also the route of looking into GSX integration – for example, the Leonardo Maddog uses the GSX GPU for power (but also has a built in alternative for non-GSX users).

3 Likes

Can anyone spot anything here that would make my HSI not display any signal from a VOR? At the time these screenshots were taken I was inside of 20nm of a high powered VOR, should absolutely have been within signal range. As near as I can tell I have electrical power to everything that needs it, I have the avionics master switch on, the VOR is tuned to the correct active frequency, and as I said I was within range. Have been all over the cockpit and manual and can’t find a missing switch. No tripped breakers either.

It seems to pick up an ILS signal just fine but I’ve tried 3 different VORs all of which I was in range of and it does not work. This is in the 360 cargo.

Stupid question but have you checked that these VOR’s actually exist in your MSFS Navdata ?
I have found several that exist in real life and in little navmap but do not exist in the Sim

can you give me the Identifier and approx location of the problem VOR and I will investigate
Also I notice on your first screen cap… there are No Indications in the LED Displays … try resetting the Generators or Inverters

Is that Saab 340 in the background an AI model or a flyable one?

@NightMercury358 - Saab 340/2000 would be a nice project…

Loving this aircraft. Has anyone figured out how to bind “ALT Select” to a hotkey? I can increase/decrease the altitude just fine with my HOTAS but no key binding for arming/selecting the altitude worked.

@NightMercury358

I have been doing some testing with all of the variants now and I see that there are different issues for different variants. For instance, all the valve/relay indicators on the 360 Pax work, but none work on the 360 cargo.

I have compiled a bit of a list of some issues with the different cockpits that I’ve been able to test.

I use Legacy manipulator mode, found a number of switches have the manipulator (arrow cursor) direction reversed…or other problems as noted:

360 Pax:
-Engine start switches work, but the cursor doesn’t change to a hand when you mouse over them, making them seem inop at first glance. Never seen that before.
-Prop Heat L/R
-Internal/External electric master bar
-Passenger compartment light switch
-Fire & Smoke Test switches (L Fire test switch does not animate)
-1D CB Panel light switch (also note this switch is a pole type, but the one one the 2D side is a rocker type)
-2D CB Panel light switch…manipulator is reversed and the switch does not animate.

C23B (blend of 360 Pax and Cargo bugs):

• Valve/bus indicators are working
  • R HYD inlet switch issue from cargo but the indicator works
  • Engine start switches work, but the cursor doesn’t change to a hand when you mouse over them, making them seem inop at first glance. Never seen that before.
    -Prop Heat L/R
    -Internal/External electric master bar
    -Passenger compartment light switch
    -Fire & Smoke Test switches (reversed, but L FIRE test does work in this one)
    -1D CB Panel light switch does not animate
    -2D CB Panel light switch…manipulator is reversed but the switch does animate.

360 Cargo:

• All green-yellow valve/bus indicator lights are inop (doll’s eye replacements). There is some kind of animation happening if you look closely, but it’s the illumination that’s missing.
    -R HYD INLET switch animation and indicator inop but click area is functioning.

330 Pax:

• Electrical master bar switch
  • 1D CB Panel light switch
  • 2D CB Panel light switch
  • Fire & Smoke Test switches
  • Radar mode selector dial
  • Propeller heat switch
  • Emergency light switches
  • Pos light switch has 3 positions but animates as if it only had two

330 Cargo/Sherpa/C23A (same as above, plus…):

• 2D CB Panel light switch…manipulator is reversed and switch also does not animate.
    -F/O fan switch has an animation issue
    -“Flood lights” aka passenger compartment switch has three positions but animates as if it only had two.

Other comments:

• The limitations sticker on the cockpit escape hatch, is from a 330. The 360 has different limitations, and I assume the C-23’s have different limitations yet again.

• Cockpit sidewall textures: Some of the variants, the cargo versions especially, have a marbling effect in the texture of the cockpit sidewalls and ceiling. I don’t care for this…it doesn’t look like grime or anything…it just looks off. The 360 Pax variant, with its plain plastics looks the best to me.

• Some variants have the inverters already turned on at cold & dark, others not. I am not sure which setup is correct as you didn’t provide a checklist or elec. schematic in the manual.

• Passenger compartment lights (all variants): The cabin lights always illuminate in the ON or ARMED position. The indicator light by the switch turns on only when the switch is in ARMED. Arming the cabin lights should mean that they will turn on if main power is lost, so I think the indicator should turn on if the switch is ARMED and the lights are forced on by a main power loss, as that is the way this indicator would work in any other aircraft. With the aircraft on gen or ext. power, and switch in ARMED, I don’t think the cabin lights should be on, nor should the indicator lamp.

• Propeller governors: The governors do not hold the selected RPM without repeated adjustment as airspeed and/or air density changes. (This is true of all variants, but it’s quite obvious in the 360 because of the digital readout.) From my experience with FSX/P3D, this could mean that you are hitting a stop (i.e. beta limit) that you specified elsewhere in the propeller section before reaching the design values in your prop tables.

• Sounds: The sounds are a lot better than most MSFS turboprops! My criticism is that IRL this is a noisy, unsealed cockpit in the Shorts, and yet there we have hardly any/no wind noise at cruise in the sim. I always heard anecdotes about the cockpit escape hatch in the Shorts leaking on the copilot in the rain or during de-icing, so there is no way the Shorts gets away without a constant hissing wind noise. The propeller sounds are too quiet on the ground and too dominant in flight. I think for sim purposes, the extremes of the volume parameters could be reigned in at both ends.

• Beta/reverse: This is properly implemented, however, I would say that beta is not quite enough braking force. What I ran into when flying cargo around the islands (remember those tradewinds gusting 25KT that are always aligned with the runway and therefore pushing you around on the outbound taxi) is that beta–and even a good bit of reverse–is not adequate to keep you from accelerating rapidly when taxiing, if a tailwind is involved.

• A/P: There are various issues being described above in this thread. The two that seem most striking to me are: 1) changing the NAV/GPS switch dumps all existing modes, 2) In GPS mode, the HSI may or may not indicate the course from the GNS. My experience is that the AP will track the GNS course (as if the button was engaging a GPSS mode, as opposed to traditional course tracking), however the HSI does not update to show the correct deflection. I’m sure there are other cases I have not encountered yet.

• ADI/HSI night lighting. Mentioned this above, but stating again because it really bums me out at night. These two instruments need an internal backlight as IRL because the current lighting system leaves them mostly in the dark. I like the cockpit lighting otherwise…very atmospheric.

3 Likes

Thank you for compiling these issues into one big list :slight_smile:

There is little here that we are not already aware of and in fact most of the functionality has already been fixed (as have a lot of the visuals) …

Watch out for V1.1 Update hitting your inbox later today.

We will of course also look through any new items you have raised and address them as we can.

Also … please DM us with your real world experience and a little background as we may want to consider a new Beta Tester for the future :wink:

6 Likes

Bought the plane but cannot get access to the download portal. When I enter my mail address to receive the verification code the following error occurs: “Maximum devices reached. Contact the vendor to add more devices.” So I am unable to download my purchase.
Could you please help?

I already tried to contact support@blackboxsimulation.com but didn’t get any response.

Regards
Joerg

Workin on it … please bear with us

2 Likes