Now you can save and reuse the positions of PopOut windows

I was also very annoyed that the positions and sizes of the PopOut windows are not remembered.
Therefore I have created a small tool that does just that.
As once you have positioned your PopOuts and adjusted their sizes, the tool makes sure that the corresponding data is saved.
At the next flight session you only have to extract the PopOuts by RightAlt + left mouse button.
Then a key combination or a SysTray menu call is used to bring the windows to the desired positions and to the corresponding sizes.

I would be glad if you would be interested in this tool. I would be happy to make it available to you. Because together we have an awesome hobby.

11 Likes

This will awesome!

I use G1000 overlays with AirManager and each time I start a flight I must re-size and re-position the G1000 PopOut Windows. Sounds like your tool will be really helpful.

Thank you very much.

Hi,
Yes, that was exactly the reason that I developed the tool.
I also built a home cockpit to display the PFD and MFD of the G1000 on two 13’ inch touchscreens.
And especially in combination with Air Manager it is quite tricky to position the PopOut windows again and again

By the way, the tool is also capable of removing the PopOut Windows title bars. In the context of Air Manager, a real help. Who needs white title bars anyway?

2 Likes

If you can put this into a GitHub repository that will be good. Happy to help you if you need help.

Thanx again !

Will this work with ATC dialogue pop out also?

1 Like

Oh I don’t know. I will test it

will be eagerly awaiting for this…Thank you

How is this any different than using a tool like Display Fusion?
With it, I can cut my three monitors into smaller displays and assign pop outs to each display.

Jim-Sim

Hi Again,
all PopOuts who have the button: image
should work

Hi, did you make tests with Display Fusion regards Msfs2020?

This would be great for my RealSimGear setup. For sure would be interested in something like this

I’ve been using Display Fusion for some time.
The problem is that MSFS only specifically names a couple windows, such as ATC (#6 below) and Camera (#7 below)… those will position and size automatically each time I start a flight. But the pop-outs, such as MFD (#9 below) and PFD (#8 below) from the glass cockpit have no actual names and they all open the same, so you must click the + to break the window free from the other pop-outs and then I use Display Fusion to send them to their correct locations and sizes each time. Still a pain in the rear.

If each tool, window, menu, pop-out, etc… had an independent name on the screen… you could just use Display Fusion macros to automate the process.

So it’s actually only a partial solution to this problem.
But it’s an excellent tool to chop up monitors into separate screens:

And to spread wallpapers across multiple monitors:

Jim-Sim

I welcome a tool that can automate this even further, as MSFS doesn’t seem to get it.

Yes please, sign me up!!

One question, do you still use Right-ALT + mouse click to get the windows out? Or does Display Fusion do that automatically?

By the way, does anyone know if you can open the windows from the toolbar with shortcuts? Like Scroll for ATC?

Yeah, you still have to pop them out yourself.
MSFS opens the first pop-out, then for whatever reason the second pop-out attaches itself to the first one, and on, and on, until you have everything you want. Then you have to break out each pop-out by hitting the “+” on the top bar… now that it’s a separate entity, you can use Display Fusion to send it where you want it. Display Fusion will place it there and make it fill the chosen window size.

It’s only a semi-automated process, but at least everything ends up the same each time I fly.

Jim-Sim

Ok, I understand. I have not yet found a way to automate the pullout (right ATL+click) for my tool. If there were for example shortcuts or commands in FSUIPC, the problem could be solved.

Display Fusion needs a specific window name or ID to call (which is why this works for the ATC and Camera windows, because they are menu’s).
MSFS opens all those pop-out’s with the same Windows ID, so there’s no way to call them out separately. MSFS just needs to get it together and address the pop-out thing altogether.
Being able to only get the screen contents and not the knobs, buttons, and controls is quite limiting.

Jim-Sim

Well, in Windows OS, Windows are recognized by their Class Name and Title. Msfs always gives the same Class Name (“AceApp”) and an empty Title to the PopOut-Windows. That’s why you can’t differentiate between them.

I have solved this problem. My tool recognizes the content of the window and can therefore assign it accordingly.

I would like to automate even more. Therefore the question about shortcuts or PSUIPC commands.
But maybe it already helps to detect the PopOut Windows - because, my tool can already do that.

2 Likes