nVidia 461.92 drivers released

Saw this on the nVidia Forum posted today, may be interesting and I think I’ll wait for the next update as it appears this driver doesn’t fix the poor Frametime with every driver post 457.30 yet (2070Super here):

User asks:

Hey Manuel@NVIDIA, could you please let the community know about the progress of trying to fix VR stuttering, lagging and poor VR performance in general for the 30 series?
A lot of us 30 series owners are still using 457.XX drivers. It just got worse from there with 460.XX and 461.XX.

Response: Manuel@NVIDIA

We are still working on it. We will require a lot of testing to make sure the changes do not introduce new regressions so unfortunately it will not be available in the next driver update but our hope is that we can have it ready for the driver that follows that.

5 Likes

By now i can see an improvement , my usual flights using rtx3080 in ultra arround 35-40 , with this new version 461.92 im over 48 - 65 fps. not bad. as usual limited by mainthread.

2 Likes

That is a pretty significant increase. I have the 3080, too. I also get around 35 fps. Do you find the flying and cockpit interactions to be smoother, clearer, other benefits?

just tested 461.92. there is an increase in fps, however it doesn’t fix the issue of sudden drops that was caused by the last sim update. I would say it’s a noticeable increase.

4 Likes

By jolly, I hope you are right. I am eager to hear comparison between 457.3 vs 461.92.

3 Likes

The drops have nothing to do with Nvidia, it’s all MS and you-know-who, and they say they are working on it.

1 Like

I also am having better fps with the new 461.92. Everything also seems to be a bit smoother with less (or no?) micro-stutters. I’m not using VR now, so can’t say if it helps that or not. It is a noticeable improvement with the new CRJ and the F15 so far. Will do more tomorrow. I think it is real, but need some more time with it to be sure.
Mark
[EDIT: sorry, I stupidly forgot to say I am using an RTX 3090 FE–obviously important information to know. with i9 10980XE]

1 Like

Am I hearing all this right? That 461.92 is performing better than 457.30 and Nvidia is working on a driver specifically for VR is FS2020?

If that’s accurate, that’s a double dose of good news! If not, someone please tell me what I misunderstood…

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi! I’m new to the forum. I also recently purchased Dell Aurora R 11 with the 3080RTX . I’m getting very low FPS 10-15 average especially in low flying within populated cities. Is this due to the recent issues with Asobo?

No, nVidia are still trying to fix the VR issues brought in with the 461.X series of drivers, nothing to do with MSF2020 specifically just general VR issues.

1 Like

Ok I had time this morning to do some Benchmarks, using SteamVR (OpenXR) - HP Reverb (G1) - 2070Super - i9 9900k - 32gb RAM.

The results are effectively the same as I’ve seen with all 461.X drivers, they are gradually getting better each .Point update but still nowhere near the Smoothness levels of 457.30 as clearly shown in the Benchmarks below.

#YourMilesMayVaryEtcEtc

10 Likes

No improvement on my side, certainly within VR. I’ve reverted back to 457.30.

3 Likes

I and some other guys with RTX 3xxx found these drivers better than 457.30 in every aspect.
It seems nVidia is leaving Turing behind already :frowning:

I have to agree.
I’ve tested both drivers on same flight, same aircraft between Southend and Headcorn (UK), and latest driver is giving me a drop of approx 5 to 8 FPS.
I’ve rolled back to 457.30

I’m on a 3800X Ryzen 7, with a 2080 Super, and 32 G Ram

1 Like

Anecdotally it does appear the guys that have reported significant improvements and have mentioned which card they are using are 3000 series…

Would be great if everyone in this thread posting before/after compared to 457.30 could specify which card you are using?

I’ll give it a try this evening hopefully

1 Like

Yes, see the very large posts in the main section of this MSFS forum about performance problems in general for all users (VR and 2d) since the latest update. Many different hardware setups are all seeing large FPS drops that Asobo is supposedly working on sourcing as it’s all of the place in terms of geography, airplanes, hardware, etc. and it’s affecting many users, but not all strangely. Separate from that, the nvidia drivers have been a problem also for anything after 457.3 for many users of 30xx series cards in VR (and 2d) and so if this latest 461.92 testing actually is better is will be great news. There is a post on avsim.com forum that has some testing done in a controlled way that shows promise but it’s literally a new driver this week so hopefully some more testing my the community over the next few days may prove if it’s time for all of us to move to the 461.92 driver. Oh, and it also looks like some users of 20xx series cards are seeing worse performance with 461.92 and the post on avsim.com has a reply from a representative at nvidia asking for help in testing on MSFS and he links to the software they use to test driver performance in a controlled way that logs a bunch of stuff, so at least one person at nvidia is working on this driver for VR and 2d users of MSFS on both the 30xx and 20xx series cards…hopefully it pans out soon.

1 Like

which posts? The link is to the main page…

Here’s the link, sorry about that.

1 Like

Ooh cool he replied to my thread over there, I’ll do as he asks later

1 Like