nVidia 461.92 drivers released

Reckon the 461.92 are better for new tech?

1 Like

I very much only use my pc for msfs and xp11. I used to play other fps games but haven’t recently. I just wanted a comparison to benchmark against. I’ve updated it with driver 461.72 and you can see that I’m going with that one as it is relatively recent anyway.

Interesting results, but is the 461.72 actually smoother in terms of stuttering? When I tried it, I was getting the same FPS as 457.30, but the former stuttered like crazy (frame timing).

This is on a 3080 and G2 though

I don’t see more stuttering than with previous drivers, even though the stuttering that is bothering Nvidia users for a while now is still there but it makes sense, Nvidia hasn’t fixed this particular issue yet.

It works worst probably because you have a 20 series! Looking at Nvidia strategy (they have waited this release - 461.92) to prominently showcase MSFS 2020 now because their drivers just caught up to make 30 series card worthwhile.
I am adamant that the improvements that I have seen with 3090 FE are not placebo. I have tested GA or airliners with max out setting (Ultra, TLD 190 OLD 190) OXR 100 with my G2.
It’s fluid even in busy airport like SFO. A little bit of stutter initially but then after it’s just fluid. So 461.92 are in my testing the best driver for 30 series owner.
Obviously you need a an i9 processor to avoid bottleneck.

I’ve got a 3080 and 457.30 is definitely smoother for me than 461.92 with identical settings on my G2. I’ve got a 5900x so no worries about a bottleneck.

Tried 461.92. No better. Started having an issue where going into VR, the image would be very dark sometimes. Never figured out why or when…just occasionally.

Give up and went back to 457.30. All normal now…well normally buggy as hell.

@camer, I have zero problem buying a new 30-series. If I could actually get one without feeding a scalper. If they are going to use that as a sales strategy (which is perfectly legitimate in my mind), they need to get their supply chain problems fixed FIRST. Though right now I’m more inclined to wait for the 3080ti (or super, if it becomes a real thing) than to try to get a 3080. And I wouldn’t spend the money they want on a 3090. It’s not that I can’t, it’s that I won’t. Just too much cash for too little of a performance gain.

On a similar note, I’d also wait to buy an i9 (or any new CPU for that matter) until we see what Intel’s 11th Gen brings to the table. i9’s are great, but of limited value to simmers, and what little value they bring to the table comes at a steep price.

@benjit7, I don’t know how much your info is going to help me, but that screenshot sure will. I downloaded and installed CapFrameX, and when I figure out how to use it, it’ll help me do my own analysis, so thanks very much for that.

1 Like

Sure! I am not suggesting anyone to buy anything. I am just trying to make sense of what is happening ie Nvidia launching a series of marketing activities promoting MSFS 2020 now while releasing 461.92.
I had 3090 FE and i9 10900K since launch and my MSFS experience just changed with this driver release.

1 Like

Don’t it will eat up days of valuable flying time :sob::sob::sob:

As an update I’ve tested further and despite my findings for fps numbers, fluidity upon testing in vr I am still finding 457.30 trump’s the others. I am seeing fewer judders and jaggered lines than the other drivers giving more fps

So I’m sticking with 457.30, fps doesn’t mean anything unless it’s translating that into a smooth flight experience.

I’m also finding v24 of Oculus works better, so I’ve gone back to that version too.

Nvidia 457.30 Oculus V24 rift s - 2080ti

1 Like

@benjit7, SOOOO true. In fact, that’s why I don’t even bother measuring what fps I’m getting anymore, as it doesn’t matter. The only thing that matters is are my eyeballs happy with what they see. If the answer to that is “Yes, boss, we do!”, then the fps is completely irrelevant.

The mixed reports keep making me want to test the new one, and maybe I just should, because it’s so trivial to undo it. The other reason is that I occasionally play other games, but those are primarily ACC (Assetto Corsa Competizione) which is several years old and probably won’t be helped by newer drivers, and CP2077, which might. But then, like I said, it’s trivial to switch back and forth. But I haven’t played a lot of CP2077. And I’ve only recently gotten into ACC, but it can grab you by the short and curlies (except nobody has those anymore) and become a total time sink, really reducing your time for MSFS, so I’m torn.

:man_shrugging:t2:

Tried 461.92 on my 3090, tried all settings with hags on, hags off, and the double vision judder is worse than 457.30.
I was even getting judder in 60hz repro on, so back to 457.30 and all is good again.

2 Likes

I did try 457.30 and even with constant FPS the view is stuttering (ie looking at the scenery and rolling the plane left and right). Back to 461.92 and everything is smooth again. I also have better framerate (more constant).
5800x, 3090 RTX.

2 Likes

Reports on how the drivers work on different systems is generally helpful. However, I think the real test is how it works on your own system. There are so many variables at play here that the general experience may or may not be what you get. FWIW, 461.92 was noticeably smoother and less stuttering (and a bit more FPS I believe) for me. I’m using a 3090FE, i9-10980XE (OC to 4.8), 64GB ram, NVMe SSD970Evo 2TB, etc., with 4K monitor, gsync, MSFS high settings, Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19042.685, ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II, and running various MSFS mods/addons, various pieces of other unrelated software, etc. Not using VR right now, so can’t comment on that issue.
Maybe nvidia and/or MSFS will figure out how to smooth things out reliably for everyone some day.
Best
Mark

1 Like

@ MarkManner:
just doublechecking: I don’t see any mentioning that you are playing in VR?

Yes, sorry should have mentioned. I did some VR earlier, but not recently, and not with this version.

@henk4p1969, I am, but on the older drivers, not the new ones…

I also appreciate everyone’s systems are different but thought I’d share my experience with my hardware.

Hardware, software, system settings and tweaks, in game settings and tweaks, internet speed, there are just so many variables at play it’s difficult to say what works for one won’t for another.

I think the latest Nvidia drivers have really helped with the performance of the 3000 series cards from what I’ve read but not so much for the 2000 series. I know Oculus updates apply to the quest 2 as well as rift 2 which is eol.

Much the case of YMMV depending on your own circumstances. :+1:

1 Like

no difference with HAGS On for me