NVIDIA 466.11 drivers released (MSFS VR fix included)

I have mine working better now. I figured out what 33.3 is LOL!!
Thanks Captain.
Motion Smoothing enabled.
2080ti Index
TTA 80 + SS220, 90HZ +Fixed 18fps =33.3
SteamVR 1.16.10

1 Like

Does the 2080ti keeps up good with the G2?

Depends on your settings/render scale I would imagine
 that’s also the case for the 3080/3090

@CptLucky8 thank you again for your instructions. 466.11 does it well also in VR mode.
RTX 3070 and G2
Thx Harald

1 Like

I’m very happy with this driver, I guess, because i was only able to do a small test before the horrible WU4 update destroyed all the gained performance.

If i compare 466.11 with 468.89 (which wasn’t a bad driver either) I don’t think there is a lot of improvements, at least for me not noticeble, only that the fixed the surround settings for my 3 screens.

Back to 457.30 for me, all other drivers cause flickering in my Pimax Artisan on a GTX1080ti

Tried with hags on and off, only 457.30 works smoothly without the screens flickering during the flight.

1 Like

As if there weren’t enough problems, there’s a headline today saying the last MS monthly update may have broken V-sync for gaming. I was wondering why things went squirmy last week just after I got WU4 settings tweaked in.

Isn’t it recommended to turn off VSync for VR in MSFS? What about this broken update should we be on the lookout for?

The whole story is on the PC Gamer and PC mag sites. Basically, they’re saying if you think you took a hit with the last Win10 update, then uninstalling should clear the lowered frame rates and stuttering. I run v-sync on fast with a G2. I fixed things somewhat by de-tuning to keep frames 40+.

My VR (PSVR) performance dropped about 25-30% after the latest Win10 update was installed last week, putting me in the low 20 FPS range. After removing it manually this morning, performance is back where it was at 30+ FPS.

1 Like

Same issue where with my 2060super but mine flickers if I have the sim on along with a browser on.Looks like the last stable driver for me.

Thx for your ongoing support and explainers.
Question: what could be the benefit of pre- rendering 4 frames if the framerate is already locked to low 18?

1 Like

@Fredvasse My uneducated guess is that it will allow the CPU side to send commands to fill the GPU side in advance. In essence, if there is any bottleneck on the GPU side, it won’t halt the CPU side.

Prior, I’ve found 1 was always better in practice. I believe with 1 the CPU is waiting for the GPU to complete the frame prior going to the next one, which was good so far in practice.

Maybe there is another advantage to at least using 2, when you enable motion smoothing. It would maybe give time for the CPU side to burst the drawing commands for both eyes rapidly, and then make the CPU halting until the motion smoothing part does its work on the rendered frames.

I really have not precise explanation though, this is just trial and error about what seems to work better overall. Maybe it is also just because of the last few SteamVR beta releases causing some additional time/frame problems.

With the next driver update and the next sim update, maybe 1 will be better again like it has always been so far.

Ok, I will try several settings to find out which setting would be the best pre-rendering.
As an Oculus user my setup is a bit different but thanks to your posts I have switched to motion smoothing in Steam VR, using all of your settings.

Prior to this I was using the Oculus Tray Tool to do the supersampling. Now I use the Tray Tool only to lock ASW to 18Hz and let SteamVR do the supersampling with your setting of 250% and TAA 100 in the sim. Performs better in most areas but heavy cities or large airports are causing stuttering as always.

1 Like

Thanks CaptLucky8! Tried your settings and feel like I finally have the tweaks I can settle with while using the 466.11 driver
 However, I did find a much smoother flight with the HAGS set to off. I also bumped my msfs rendering to 80 while keeping Open XR render scale to 100. My rig is a JetLine Systems Gravity II from a few years ago with I7, and recently installed RTX2080TI. I just recently started flying VR with the Reverb G2. As of tonight, I don’t see myself going back to my triple monitors and Track IR (which I think is the next best thing to VR, and I certainly did get my money’s worth, so no regrets!).

And for all those debating which is more better or realistic, XPlane or MSFS, just fly the Caronado Seminole (or your favorite GA) taking off from Ociano Co (L52) Rnwy 29 at around 6 p.m. heading out over the ocean with the weather set to Stormy, and then set to Rain. All I can say is WOW! Flying low over the waves
that was incredible! And thanks to you
 very smooth. I think this experience definitely made up my mind. Even after landing, then admiring the external views, along with the movement of my pilot and passenger in the cockpit waiting out the rain looks very realistic! MSFS wins hands down for me. I have a 145 hrs on my PPL. I think the GA models are just fine. And to think this sim can only get better! Thanks again!

2 Likes

How do you enable that frame count overlay in VR? Cheers :sunglasses:

Hey @Zneip - it’s just the Dev Console enabled via the options menu. It’s visible in VR but not really viewable, due to it being high top right in the left eye
 I take my headset off to view/capture it on my 2D display.

I don’t use any FPS counters in VR during flight/etc anymore. as it became a constant obsession for me during my XP11 days.

Thanks a lot mate. I’ll check it out.

Exactly this! If you can’t tell that your frame rate it too low, then it is NOT too low.

With a flight sim, framerates are a handy point of reference when troubleshooting but (once beyond the ‘noticeably low’ threshold) they make no difference. I doubt many people could truly tell the difference between 30FPS and 3000FPS (unless you are a highly skilled gamer, playing a game that favours the fastest of reactions).

It may sound unrelated but since I did not see anyone bringing this up yet. What I have seen making a huge difference with stuttering or smoothness is Virtual Memory. I have multiple SSD and MVne drive. I have moved MSFS 2020 from the default C drive to my E drive. I have noticed that the sim was starting to stutter and become a slide show after a few hours of flight. I went to change my Virtual Memory settings and specifically unchecked the box Automatically Manage Paging file size for all drives. Indeed only one of the 4 drives had the option System Managed Size selected. I selected it for all 4. Now are gone the stutters (not 100% eliminated but mainly gone) and no slide show. For info I have an i910900K, Reverb G2, RTX 3090 FE and 64GB of Ram. All setting on Ultra or high at the worst. I get 26 FPS overall flying VR in most regions for GA planes with or without G1000 or G3000.
Anyone else tried this? What’s your experience?