NVidia claims SU 11 open beta starts on October 17th

Well, this is a little awkward. NVidia is claiming SU 11 open beta starts on October 17th:

Microsoft Flight Simulator’s major updates are publicly tested to ensure maximum performance and stability when they launch to the game’s many players. DLSS 3 support will be launched alongside the next update, which will be available to test from October 17th. To participate in the test:

Download the “Xbox Insider Hub” app from the Microsoft Store
Sign-in with the account you use to play Microsoft Flight Simulator
Click on “Previews” in the left nav
Click on “Microsoft Flight Simulator Beta” in the list of available Previews
Click “Join” on the new screen

When the next Microsoft Flight Simulator Beta launches on October 17th, your game client will update automatically, and DLSS 3 will then be available in-game.

I expected to hear this from the MSFS team before NVidia but whatever. Assuming NVidia is accurate, I guess SU 11 open beta starts on October 17th then.

13 Likes

Well if nVidia hadnt jumped the gun you would have

5 Likes

Exactly. Probably that’s the planned date, but if Asobo feels like it doesn’t fit for the purpose (ie still need some programming before public release) it gets postponed. Nvidia just dropped the info bit early

I sure hope FSR 2.0 will also be implemented to support the AMD GPUs!!!

4 Likes

It probably the 18th, are they not a Tuesday release?

maybe they will drop the beta earlier than expected, qa_upload has just been updated

7 Likes

Yup, I really hope that the open beta can start earlier. The more open beta testing time we have, the better and more stable the SU 11 release will be.

10 Likes

I hope for FSR 2.0 and WASM for Xbox by thanksgiving.

4 Likes

ATM DLSS 3.0 is only relevant for RTX 40xx owners. So I hope that they fix the blur and gosting effect for DLSS 2.0. And for me with a 3080ti also then DLSS is not really relevant. With a 5800x3D im CPU bound anyway. If DLSS 3.0 will really help the CPU the first benchmarks will show in the future…

Furthermore I hope for more DX12 optimizations…

And I will not make any comments on the communication strategy regarding release date of the beta :wink:

3 Likes

I keep my eye on the steam database two or three times per day for the last two months, So I know what to look for when a new bata is going to drop. If you check my posts from previous batas you will see, I have been correct every single time.

One hour ago, branch=qa_upload was posted to the steam database usually a beta drops not long after. So, we may be getting sim bata 11 any day now

10 Likes

Following!

Yippie, can’t wait!

I hope the Beta for SU11 will arrive soon.
I think 17/18 OCT is much too late for testing.

The last Beta for SU10 was much earlier and they delayed the final release of SU10.

1 Like

Probably nvidias 40XX drivers will ‘drop’ on that date. And some wallets will also drop in weight.

2 Likes

It’s already too late for a meaningful beta. Planned launch of SU11 / 40th anniversary edition is the week of Nov 7 either the 8 or 10, Tuesday or Thursday, their typical release days. They’re going to need to have a finalized codebase / package ready the week prior. If the beta dropped today, that would leave 3 weeks of testing, which is inadequate as is.

11 Likes

Was it really that much that changed in the second half of the beta to SU10?
I felt it was pretty stable after a few drops.

Hm, it all depends on what is considered to be tested.

The aircraft won’t be part of the testing - at least ini already told that the A310 will not be part of the beta. Other than that we likely see an unfinished version of the Guimbal and “maybe” one glider to test the basic functionalities. The “core part” of both, besides tweaks, is already in sim since some SUs (CFD, prop simulation and thermals, C172 as being the testbed), so in these cases it’s about tweaks.

On DLSS 3 which will be part of the testing it’s clear that not many people have a RTX 40 card right now and even less would participate the Beta.

Other than that SU11 delivers not that much all new core stuff… some water ballast for gliders, propellers shifted by 90° in each direction so we have rotors, helipad markers which are already in sim just hidden (the Troll A scenery has one) , some minor DX12 improvements on memory handling and basic live traffic data handling.

It’s basically just half this slide if they don’t include something massive and unannounced:

The rest is just packages, something they can tune later if a door handle on the Bell 407 is missing :wink: The largest release when it comes to features and core related things for this year was SU10.

This time it’s mostly about some careful fixes and rather small improvements, even if “helicopters” sounds like something massive.

Also, if something goes all havoc I think they learned their lesson and will postpone SU11 like SU10.

I guess it is. So far helicopters only work with custom tools like airland or with extremely modified standard flight models, but of which seem to lack realism.

That’s the point though, they can’t postpone SU 11. SU 11 is the 40th anniversary edition, a special release, like SU 5 (X Box release) and SU 7 (GOTY release).

Microsoft spends money advertising the release date for these special releases, hence, SU 11 cannot be pushed back, like SU 5 and SU 7 cannot be pushed back. When you spend a sum of money to advertise a release date, you don’t want to push it back because it’s wasted advertising money. So SU 11 won’t be pushed back.

1 Like

This is kind of why I wasn’t in favor of postponing the SU 10 release date during the SU 10 open beta for too long. SU 11 was one of these special releases like SU 5 and SU 7. They never push back the release dates of these special releases, as I explain in the post above.

The longer that the SU 10 open beta ran, the less time there is for the open beta for SU 11. They should have released SU 10 in late August or in the first week of Septwmber and just hotfixed MSFS to make it compatible with the latest NVidia driver for DX 12.

I remember people kept asking for SU 10 open beta to be delayed over and over again, but they never considered that SU 11 is a firm release date, and every extra day we spend in the SU 10 open beta, could mean less time doing an open beta for SU 11.

2 Likes