Nvidia DLSS support

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-Ti-NVIDIA-Computer-Graphics-Video-Cards/27386/bn_7116466367

prices vary, lowest i’ve seen is £245 but they were going for about £800+ before the announcement :slight_smile:

There’s a lot of price movement for sure, think I’ll give it a few months and let things settle, the heat from my 1070 Ti will keep the house warm over Autumn…

1 Like

Does not help that the thermals are notoriously bad on the 2080ti. In fact i believe the 2080TI is one of Nvidia all time most returned cards, don’t quote me on that though.

Adding DLSS 2.0 isn’t prioritizing Nvidia over AMD as AMD will have their own DLSS type tech, but will most likely be closer to Sony’s checkerboarding upscale approach then what DLSS is. It’s just a feature and if the majority of the player base are actually using nvidia GPUs, then it would make sense to improve performance for the majority of players where they can. DirectX 12 will do a lot of things to help performance on it’s own I think. You shouldn’t compare PC versions to the Xbox, they aren’t going to be same tech, and ASOBO have already stated about adding Ray Tracing, I imagine what we have right now, is path-tracing, which is what the Xbox will more then likely be using rather then full blown ray tracing but I dunno, they’ve talked about it at this point other then at launch, DX11 and DX12 later on with Ray Tracing. They wont add Ray Tracing, without adding DLSS, that I can assure you.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it was? The OP said that Asobo/MS would likely prioritise AMD, i simply said that was not the case.

DirectX 12 is a pre-requisite for this: DirectX 12

1 Like

NVIDIA has a 70% market share. That means 7 out of 10 people who purchase Flight Simulator will be running it on an NVIDIA graphic card.

With 2 RTX generations already launched it’s safe to assume that most flight simulator users have DLSS capabilities on their system. AMD will certainly come back with something similar.

From what I’ve seen, Flight Simulator is a perfect candidate for DLSS. Even the powerful RTX 3090 priced at 1500 USD struggles with it on ultra settings.

I’ve taken it from here: https://www.geeknetic.es/Review/1889/MSI-GeForce-RTX-3090-Gaming-X-Trio-24G-Review.html

The most powerful graphic card out there and you can’t do 60Hz/FPS V-Sync on Ultra settings at 4K resolution.

We need DLSS as soon as possible.

8 Likes

Hope it will be implemented with DX 12 pretty soon, the way to go for smooth VR and non VR experience.

1 Like

Yeah Nvidia just came out with DLSS for VR a few months back so this is totally doable when DX12 comes out!

The ‘most powerful graphics card’ can’t do 60fps 4K in Cyberpunk 2077 either (you don’t need more than 30 fps in a simulator either) Peoples expectations seem to be greatly influenced by the Nvidia marketing department. Remember, these are the people who say you can game at 8K with the 3090. Which you probably can, at 4 fps!

4 Likes

Unpopular opinion incoming…

The consoles don’t support DLSS, but they do support the upcoming cross-GPU and open DirectML Super Resolution. That is most likely what game devs will spend time implementing, they get a bigger return on their time investment. It’s also backed by Microsoft.

Can’t say I’m personally a big fan of proprietary features that are locked to a GPU vendor either. I know many people are loyal to a brand for life so it matters less to them, but many others buy both Nvidia and AMD hardware, myself included.

3 Likes

You have no clue what you’re talking about… I have 3080 and on cyberpunk maxed out at 1440p I only get 30fps with dlss off. When dlss is enabled I get 90fps maxed out and the game even looks better. Are you on a 10 series card or on an AMD card? 30 FPS on a tittle that came out in 2020 is unacceptable… specially on high end hardware. I do understand that back in the day when fsx could be push to a stable high FPS people resigned to the fact that 30fps was okay and that’s fine, but we should accept that now days with the amount power the new hardware has. DLSS will absolutely demolish the FPS on this game and make it an amazing experience.

3 Likes

My guess is they will first finish DirectX12.
After it’s released, they will work in DirectML implementation.

And after this, they will work in DLSS 2.0.

I don’t really know (and it seems like almost no one knows this as well) how DLSS 2.0 is implemented in a game from a development standpoint (the pratical in-engine process), but:

“It should be straightforward if a game already supports temporal anti-aliasing (TAA), Tamasi said, and if it doesn’t, enabling DLSS 2.0 is similar to implementing TAA”

Source: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3533463/nvidias-faster-better-dlss-20-could-be-a-game-changer.html

1 Like

I would say DLSS 2.1 is desirable. Especially because DLSS 2.1 adds VR support. Because VR depends heavily on supersampling and even the new 30XX cards are having a hard time achieving anything close to 40FPS in VR. If we could leverage DLSS for the supersampling we could get a pretty significant jump. So lets hope after the switch to DX12 we can get DLSS 2.1.

5 Likes

Hey Asobo :slight_smile:

nVidia got DLSS 2.1 in the Line which supports VR and Dynamic Resolution. I would love to see that, because it can make VR such a great experience. Speaking for myself: i got a 5900X and an RTX 2080, yet the VR Mode is pretty sluggish. DLSS 2.1 would improve that by a very big margin. Even the Mid-End Cards (2060 and alike) would greatly benefit from this. Added bonus is that non VR Players can enjoy higher Framerates at higher settings.

Implentation seems not to be that hard when i talked with a game dev - so give it a shot (please!)

5 Likes

I would crawl head down on my knees to worship this.

1 Like

How dare you presume what a person “NEEDS” in a simulator. I, personally do need greater that 30 FPS when I play MSFS. 30 FPS, to me, isn’t smooth enough for me to enjoy it, If you like 30 or even lower, so be it. You play your game how you wanna play it, but don’t come on here and tell others what they need.

‘How dare you’ … !!

1 Like

go search youtube for 3090 8k gaming. its possible, but who got an 8k screen, right?. 2nd: did you ever play VR? 30 FPS in VR is a nightmare. You need at least double that, or for a perfect experience 90. so yes we absolutley need DX12 and DLSS (or similar) to get there. stop being a grumpy cat, and stop telling people what THEY need.

1 Like

The consoles don’t support DLSS, correct, but the consoles have their own upscaling technology instead which does the exact same thing since the Xbox One and Playstation 4. For the Playstation its called “checkerboarding” and for the xbox its called DirectML on their latest iteration of the console.

1 Like