Nvidia DLSS support

No they didn’t say anything about FSR at all.

Does not work on racing environment? F1 2020 and F1 2021 have DLSS and had huge gains from it :wink:

1 Like

After watching the Q&A, it seems to me that they have not done any more research on DLSS since the last time they talked about it. They still think that:

• DirectX 12 is required. NVIDIA have confirmed it works with DirectX 11/12 and Vulkan.
  • It is difficult to implement. NVIDIA released the SDK to the public two months ago, and according to other developers, it does not take a lot of effort if the game engine already supports render scaling and motion vectors.
  • It does not provide significant benefits over the current TAAU. DLSS 2.2 has made some great improvements, and experimental models are further reducing ghosting issues.

Honestly, I think it’s best to just give up any hope on Asobo implementing DLSS, FSR and XeSS, and instead focus on pressuring them to improve the current TAA and TAAU which still have some outstanding issues.

1 Like

I agree in general that they seem to be overly dismissive of it, but this isn’t actually what was said - he said the render team’s time is currently occupied with the DX12 move, and then will be occupied with fixing the various bugs of DX12… after that there will be time for things like DLSS. I hope there is also then time for exploring the full portfolio of DX12U which will also bring potential significant performance and quality improvements.

So from the Q&A it’s not so much that he thinks DX12 is required, its that until DX12 is out the way the team that would implement things like DLSS are pre-occupied with what he considers higher priority stuff so he is not willing to task anyone with it.

He said “we need DirectX 12 to work well first” so I guess it could be interpreted either way. With all the other inaccurate and outdated information that was presented in this and the past Q&A, I’m inclined to believe they still think it’s not compatible with DirectX 11.

I completely respect that the engine team are still very busy and I’m fine with advanced upsampling methods not being a big priority, but there is just so much wrong in their explanations which gives off the impression that they don’t really want people requesting them anymore.

For example, he said “temporal upscaling is going to provide the correct data, DLSS is not”. Like what is that supposed to mean? Both rely on the same input data and motion vectors, the latter just has a more advanced reconstruction method. Makes me wonder if they’re thinking of DLSS 1.0 which had hallucination issues.

Yeah that struck me as odd too - DLSS is also temporal upscaling afterall.

Anyway, it’s about as clear an answer as we can hope for, even if it’s not the one we want. Things like DLSS are probably coming but alas no time soon.

1 Like

Not my experience, at least with RDR2. There was a noticeable deterioration of AA and some ghosting when moving as well. I turned it off eventually.

I think I believe them when Asobo say the payoff may not be worth the investment.

Give it another try with the latest DLSS beta DLL, apparently it changes a lot regarding the ghosting issue. DLSS Research | NVIDIA Developer

Source: I installed Nvidia's prototype DLSS builds and fixed Cyberpunk's most annoying visual bug | PC Gamer

2 Likes

Yeah they are completely oblivious of what DLSS is and what can it do and how it’s implemented. I really think they haven’t ever did any testing

1 Like

Most of the people popping off about DLSS in this thread clearly do not know exactly what it is, what it does, or how it works. DLSS would offer very little benefit to an open world sim of this this nature. Sad to watch a community chase it’s own tail out of ignorance and point their fingers at Asobo. Sad to watch so many people run their mouths with reckless abandon and yet seem so proud of themselves.

2 Likes

So you never played No Man’s Sky on monitor or in VR I’m guessing? One trillion more planets proceduraly generated, all different, character walking in interior base station or flying in cockpit or external view on various space ships, no loading time, smooth transitions. Tons of environment rich and various, crossed at walking or flying speed, all altitude including space.

DLSS in NMS is simply perfect. I’m an old game dev and still develop for companies. I know what DLSS (or FSR) can afford to a fly sim like MSFS, and that’s far from little benefit. Every users with capable GPU can take benefit of it, from 1080P to 4K, to VR headset. Each time you’re GPU limited DLSS will shine. If not, the quality of AA will be anyway spot on.

Saying that and answering another post, I didn’t play RDR2 with DLSS, but viewing the quality of render RDR2 afford, really hazy and kind of blurry, I’m not certain DLSS may help for it. Comparison video still positive mainly through (for 4K monitor).

Devs said a long time ago they already tested this technology, and that’s the problem. That’s mean they tested it when MSFS was heavily CPU limited, before the optimization they made recently. So yes, in that case, it’s obvious they didn’t catch any benefice. Not sure they have any wish to implement DLSS or FSR if nobody in the team are enthusiastic and understand really what is it…

4 Likes

In one of the latest Q&A they talked about DLSS, and why they haven’t implemented it now: trees and objects look “ugly”

If that’s the case, we need to take a look at DLSS 2.3, it delivers better performance and visual output than the input. I am not a technical expert, but I think we are close enough to add DLSS without having a bad looking Simulator.

1 Like

So why would DLSS Not benefit the MSFS ?

People think dlss is some sort of magic. But it’s just another technology they’d need to support cross platform. They already have various super sampling technologies and I’m sure they trial and consider other options. But just pushing dlss because its today’s cool thing is bad engineering and priority management.

1 Like

Great. Farming Simulator has DLSS now. Because you need 120 FPS when you’re driving a tractor. But we don’t have it for air races at 300 knots.

7 Likes

Great video - flickering and ghosting look to be almost eliminated with 2.3…

This statement is so wrong and judgmental :sweat_smile:

Hey, I just saw something on this and it reminded me of the discussion - further to my reply a while back saying it’s now on the roadmap for ACC, it seems DLSS is imminent in ACC with support in the latest driver (now just awaiting the game update to drop at some point).

The video I saw, imo, shows just how much improvement has happened to DLSS - very challenging fast moving high contrast scenes and looks great in terms of lack of artefacts, and certainly a good performance boost for relatively marginal loss in quality. Unfortunately no indications on specs or DLSS mode (quality? Performance?) Either way, looking forward to getting my hands on the update, can’t wait to see how well it works in VR particularly.

It’ll be a useful analogue for MSFS I think. ACC is also a very demanding game on both CPU and GPU that taxes even the latest hardware, particularly in VR, and suffers from similar TAA “softness”. Will give a pretty good insight into what DLSS may, or may not, be able to do for a game like MSFS.

1 Like

From video title screenshot, car in background has significant loss of details and even shape.

Sure, and also the writing on the back of the car is noticeably worse in the early stages of the video… but it is getting often over 1.5x and up to 2x more performance (eg at 00:39 it’s 36fps off and 78fps on) so might well be in performance rather than quality mode. I would expect much less performance gain from using quality mode, so it seems likely to be the visually significantly worse performance mode to me, we will have to wait and see until we get the game update for ourselves I guess to be sure.

The main take away for me was the lack of motion artefacts in fast moving scenes which plagued earlier versions (and other TAA solutions, temporal ghosting can be very visible at times in MSFS - none more so than in the most recent Reno feature discovery video!).

Either way it will be interesting to get my hands on it - as mentioned I think it will be a good test case for whether it would be good for MSFS in general too: being a demanding cockpit based game with both relatively static up close fine detail and text, and sometimes fast moving scenery/objects and also with similar existing TAA upscaling solutions built in to compare DLSS options with.

Edit - will also be interesting to see how DLAA and TAA compare in the games that are enabling it From NVIDIA DLSS 2.3 To NVIDIA Image Scaling: NVIDIA’s Full Stack Of Scaling Solutions For Gamers | GeForce News | NVIDIA