Nvidia DLSS support

Nope, it doesn’t in any noticeable fashion. But the whole sim runs at a much higher, more consistent frame rate. My CPU is still being pegged at 100% on the main thread, but since it’s dealing with a smaller data set related to graphics, it’s likely able to process other stuff a lot better. It’s still maxed out, but its resources being allocated elsewhere.

Well that’s the opposite of my experience. As far as I understand it’s rendering the same data set – same models, same quality selection etc. All the pixel processing is done on the GPU and never touches the CPU.

The CPU is what passes all that stuff to the GPU. It doesn’t read it all by itself.

As I’m playing with it here switching between scalings, I’m also noticing a much more consistent frame rate at the lower scaling. At full resolution, it hover in the 32 ± 5 fps. At 50% scaling, it runs pretty consistently at 45 ± 2 fps.

This is what DLSS or DirectML could bring to MSFS in terms of performance, minus the graphical quality degradation we get just using render scale.

The CPU sends the same data to the GPU and runs in the same amount of time, limiting the frame rate to about the same amount. My fps don’t improve much because it’s still limited by the same main thread – see the screenshots above.

In my case, DLSS would provide no noticeable improvement other than reducing the power draw of my GPU by rendering fewer pixels…

Out of curiosity are you measuring using the developer mode fps tool? Or eyeballing it in Task Manager?

(The reason I ask is that if your main CPU thread is maxing out a core, but is still a lot faster than the GPU rendering time at 100% scaling, that would explain why you get much higher fps at 50% scaling.)

I’m using the dev mode counter. I’m away from the sim now since but will check the timings once I can get back into it in a while.

1 Like

Thanks! Sorry for all the follow-ups, it’s just been driving me nuts trying to fix bottlenecks in this thing and understand it better. :wink:

I understand. It’s frustrating. I’ve basically given up trying to figure out the why of things in relation to this sim. I focus more on how to make things work as well as possible for me. Much is trial and error using the dev mode tool to gauge what results changes I make have. In the end, I run at an acceptable frame rate. (30-40 depending on the area) with drops to about 25 in really busy areas. I can live with that for the time being.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s about what I get at 2160p with between 100% and 80% render scaling: around 24-26fps in heavy built-up areas like big airports in big cities with photogrammetry, and more like 30-40 out in the middle of nowhere (such as spawning near the Uluru POI in Australia).

I’d love to just get 30 consistently in the built-up areas I like to fly in, but can’t without going to low-end settings and leaving my GPU mostly idle.

I think that won’t be happening, regardless what hardware we’re running, until Asobo can do some more optimization.

2 Likes

Interesting side note on CPU-limited frame rate – it turned out my home-built PC was running the RAM at the wrong frequency, which actually is a common problem for new machines with DDR4 memory because of the way RAM is configured by default these days. Out of the box it clocked to 2133, but the vendor had rated it for 3200.

I was able to get a real (but still very limited) boost to the CPU main thread times, and thus frame rate, by switching on the XMP settings for the RAM in my BIOS/UEFI configuration. I also had to install a BIOS upgrade to get it to run stable after that.

Now when I reduce my GPU usage by setting render scaling to a lower value like 50%, I get 32-35 fps flying over Manhattan instead of about 25-27 (exact values depend on how close, where, etc - beware). A sweet spot is around 80% render scaling, which looks great at 4K base resolution.

A slight, but noticeable improvement. But serious improvements in frame rates won’t come for most people until Asobo is able to fully multithread a lot more of their current main-thread code.

[Hmm, now it’s back to lower frame rates in Manhattan. Maybe still higher than before. Who knows! MSFS is mysterious.]

1 Like

Having just tried VR with my moderately-low resolution HMD (original HTC Vive) on the PC I built 1 year ago with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and GeForce RTX 2070 Super GPU, I am realizing that DLSS is an absolute necessity for VR. I set every single setting to Low or Off in the graphical settings and I still had to decrease the resolution to something far below the headset’s native resolution in order to have a mostly consistent framerate. This is pretty recent and medium-to-high-end hardware and it is barely playable. So for VR to be viable, we really need DLSS.

2 Likes

Is this something MSFS could adopt and use in the sim, feels like it could have a better result than DirectX 12 which according to the developers wont have in game effect people expect?

Why not both DX12 and DLSS?

1 Like

Why not, seems feasible,

Is there any DLSS on Xbox? Is the XBox running on NVidia?

The latest Navigraph survey is showing 85% of the simmers* answering are running on NVidia (and it shows in these forums, at least in the VR forum, where there must be a couple few AMD discussion in a sea of NVidia). But let’s cross our fingers though, they are saying it is a simulator for simmers

*not all are on RTX though.

Xbox is built on an AMD platform.

People really need to get it through their heads that DLSS is a proprietary nVidia technology, and you will NEVER see that in a title that has XBox as a major goal. Never. Done deal. No matter how much they whine about it.

Unless it’s a DirectX API tech that will run on AMD hardware (and the XBox Series X/S), it simply will never appear in the sim.

That’s why during the last Q&A when the question of DLSS popped up, the panel all had looks like someone had asked them the meaning of life. They have little familiarity with it because it’s not an AMD / DirectX compatible tech and it’s not even on their radar.

2 Likes

Here’s the issue with super sampling and flight sims. What if it guessed wrong while you were glancing at your instruments? If they are pretty “small” in your view, one or two mistakes in the AIs guess could cause issues and make the numbers look quite “weird”

This was asked in the last twitch session - you should review it. Basically they shrugged their shoulders when asked.

1 Like