Nvidia Driver 465.89 VR performance

Probably, up to a certain speed. You’ll still have LCD ghosting causing some of the juddering artifacts, but this is where using a 144Hz headset like the Valve Index is helping a lot:

I know exactly what you’re referring to. If you rotate your head left right, it’s fine. If you pan with an input device it’s not. Try it in drone mode.

If the fps monitor is on, you can see the frame drops.

Seems to only drop frames at 30 → 90 repro with 2 interpolated frames…not with 45->90.

Same question as dbuz1805, why lock to 38 fps?

Noticing a bit of strange behavior:
Motion reprojection off in OpenXR, my frame rate is 35-45, which is playable in my G2 with this driver, although not super smooth. (but somehow feels a lot better than with the 430.70).
exit, reboot computer, start wmr, then OpenXR:
Motion reprojection on in OpenXR, frame rate drops 28 to 30, there is some stuttering when it switches from 3 to 3+ and back again.
I don’t understand how switching on OpenXR motion reprojection is causing an fps penalty.
Specs:
Ryzen 5800x
32GBmem
RTX 3080
No overclocking

It was saying the Sim was waving between 30 and 45Hz and create stutter during those phase changes so I guess by locking at 38 it will prevent the Sim or better the driver to try to go above and will stay at 30 with headroom. I could have wrong but it sound logical like this… I experiment this when I have an apps which can’t maintain the 90Hz of my headset and kick ASW On (retropro) to fall to 45 and then few seconds later go up again to 90, etc. better to lock at 45 to avoid this.

1 Like

It is not a fps penalty, it is matching fps to an integral divisor of 90Hz and this is both normal and expected.

Why do I prefer 30fps stable with juddering rather than 90fps with motion smoothing

1 Like

For me 465.89 at first seemed better than 457.30, but after a few flights I am realizing that I’m having more micro stutters than I ever did before even with HAGS on. I reverted back to 457.30, turned off HAGS and the issue went away. This is with a 3080 and 10700k.

5 Likes

Hags off for me too. Much smoother.

1 Like

Sorry for the stupid question. How to enable or disable HAGS ???

How do you set a value for motion smoothing in steamVR. I only see an option to switch it off or on?

Go into Windows Game Mode area by searching for that at the bottom left of the main screen on your desktop (don’t turn on game mode once in there), and in that page is another option for something like Advanced Graphics settings and in there is the toggle on/off for Hardware Accelerated Graphics (hags)

1 Like

Yep works great. But what needs to be addressed is the Cockpit Judder/Ghosting. It annoys me the most!

2 Likes

Well the strange thing is that if I get a stable 35 to 45 fps without repro, switching on repro should lock to 30 or 45 and give 90Hz. But with repro on, it cannot reach this 30 (drops below 30 a lot of times) and when it get’s below 30 it cannot do the x3 multiplying. Then it stutters. My question is how can I have stable 35-45 fps with repro off, but with repro on it struggles to reach 30 and drops below 30 all the time? Same happens when I set the G2 to 60Hz (then it won’t switch between 30x3 or 45x2) or when I lock the fps at 38 in the nvidia control panel. Somehow repro on is causing an fps drop. Maybe the repro taxes the cpu or gpu causing the fps to go down.

I have this exact problem. When I go to 60hz and think “I know I can acheive 20fps” it’s struggling at 17ish and repro never can kick on.

Turn projection back off and it will be up to the mid 30’s again. I’ve given up on motion projection for the time being.

If you figure it out let me know.

For me this behavior is the magnified in the glass aircraft. Steam aircraft I can usually make work but the same drops occurring.

I believe it’s by design as it’s taxing the cpu more to calculate the reprojection.

Nothing is free! Motion Smoothing requires some computations, and I gauge them to represent about 25% of the frame time. In other words, at 35fps motion off you’re short and don’t have enough room left for 30fps motion on.

Also remember: the higher the OXR scale, the higher the motion smoothing computations… You have to find the right balance between OXR scale and rendering settings so that your frame time is not too large and fits the 30fps goal.

Having said this, trying to do this until the next update is moot, given the many perf issues still remaining despite the latest update.

3 Likes

I think this statement will hold true for the next 10 years :joy:.

3 Likes

Ah that explains a lot, will try lowering render scale in OXR.
Thanks cap!

1 Like

well seeing some people saying this new driver works great and even better, i decided to give a try. It is a no go for me on my rtx2070 super full of stutters, unplayable. have to downgrade one more time…

2 Likes
  1. The same for me. 457.30 is still the best driver for vr with my specification (RTX 2080 Super, 32 GB RAM).
1 Like

This is disconcerting indeed. Why is it some people with 20XX get better perf with newest, some people with 30XX also get better perf with newest, but an equal amount of people with 20XX or 30XX (not a specific metric, but just an overall feeling of the reports I’m reading) are having worse perf as well.

This tells me there must be something else contributing, probably besides the simulator. For example are people with worth perf with newest driver using “only” 16GB RAM vs others with better perf using 32GB? Or is it those with worth perf are running a monitoring problem in the background they don’t even know it is running? Or those of you with better perf are you installing GeForce Experience as well?

In addition, are those with better perf with newest driver and FS2020 also have better perf with other simulators or games? Or the contrary? For example I’ve seen a lot of reports the newest 465.89 makes P3D5 or XP11 CTD for a lot a people?!

Those conflicting reports are begging the question to me, but I’m not sure how the best we could gather the information and process it efficiently so that we might eventually spot a few culprits and solutions.