Nvidia driver 511.23 with HAGS on causing guaranteed CTD anyone else?

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version? ms store

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? tried both but crashes either way

Brief description of the issue: With nvidia gpu driver 511.23 same as with nvidia driver before the previous if I enable hardware acceleration it causes a guaranteed crash for me when loading into an airport. With Hardware acceleration(HAGS) off it works fine and doesn’t crash.

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered: With Hags switched on load into an airport…

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant: Pc specs rtx 2070, I9-9900k 64gb 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: 1.21.18.0

Just tried it saw no issues at all. Newcastle to Teeside in the UK. I am using a 3090 with an AMD 5950 with 16GB memory.

Having no issues here even with HAGS on and most of my addon’s back installed.

I hate hags but I’m also forcing other stuff

1 Like

I had a CTD first time I tried it for Flightsim. Worked second time but not sure if it a random crash or that it happens more often . HAGS off add on installed .Device name MSI
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable) Win 11 latest Dev update.

yes… horrible feature since ages… but what should the msfs develops do here ? It is gpu stuff…

Let HAGS disabled => Bug fixed

1 Like

HAGS is for really old or just plain not good video, if your PC is absolute garbage from decades ago turn it on.

I know it has a nice name but for all that is good and pure on earth if you think your PC is worthy of turning on DO NOT USE IT.

It reminds me of the other bane of my existence the “low pressure tire light” I keep putting air in but it still says my pressure is low?

No it says your pressure is wrong and now you have 110psi in all four tires and I have to spend twenty minutes letting air out while fearing your wheel exploding and degloving my hand.

2 Likes

I’m still on 496.76 (I think it is?) and after all the poo with tryig to update it to 497 and crash after crash I don’t plan on updating it any time soon. For a long time in MSFS I was just automatically updating the driver whenever a new one came out, with no problems. It was the 497 driver that changed that, and now I’m back to the P3D “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” theory of GPU driver updates. :man_shrugging:

Same for me, 511.23 crashes with HAGS on, and seems stable with HAGS off, but with regular pauses of 1 or 2 seconds, and more stutters than 496.76. Rollback to 496.76, this 511.23 driver is no good for me.
Windows 11, Ryzen 7 3700X, RTX2070, 32GB ram

1 Like

I actually find with using an rtx 2070 and i9-9900k on 4k monitor that you see a reduction in performance in other games with Hags off. I’m also sure I see more temporary pauses/big drops in fps when Hags is switched off when it loads in new scenery as I fly.

2 Likes

The latest driver with HAGS on is giving me a small bump in frames and very good smoothness (system is a 5900X with 3080 Ti FTW3).

Edit: others are seeing this too

With Hags on, its like I’m underwater. Don’t understand how some see big improvements with a similar system that I have. But right now, I’m finding it’s never been better!
(i7-10700, GTX3080, 32G, G2)

I’m having the exact issue. With 511.23 and HAGS enabled I get guaranteed CTD when aircraft loads up. When I disable HAGS I don’t get the CTD but the graphics seem to take discernibly longer to load up. I’ve rolled back the graphics driver for now and everything is working perfectly. (i7-10700, RTX2080 SUPER, 32gb, Windows 10 build 19043)

1 Like

I flew for just over 6 hours today. Did 3 legs without ever leaving the Sim.

Re fueled and planned on the ground and took back off.

Latest driver, windows 10, DX11 and HAGS on.

No issues at all on the 3090.

1 Like

This driver caused terrible stuttering on the left and right monitors of my triple monitor setup. Unusable, went right back to 457.30. Actually had been fine until this latest 511.23 but just went back to 457.30 because it was the easiest and quickest way to test if it was the driver causing the problem.

Just to be certain (I am a cautious person) I reinstalled 511.23 again and LO and Behold it works perfectly now. I have no idea what happened the first time I installed it. So many strange things happen to me with MSFS 2020 I have given up looking for answers to happenings like this. I have been programming computers for 57 years and MSFS 2020 problems leave me feeling like a novice.

3 Likes

OK HAGS for your card is rubbish or top of the line then.

For my 3060 it’s been continually not good.

1 Like
1 Like

I did quite similar tests as you. Yesterday, 511.23 crashed systematically, HAGS ON. Rolled back to 496.76, then OK.
Today, reinstalled 511.23, after having previously cleared the shader cache (some posts suggest it may improve the things).
Launched MSFS, HAGS ON, no ctd after 5 minutes, very smooth. Beliveved the shader cache cleaning did the trick.
Wanted to check again if the problem was solved. Restarted MSFS, same flight and ctd after 10 seconds of flight.
My conclusion : Unfortunately, a long time without ctd does not guarantee it’s OK with this driver. The same flight can crash immediately after restarting msfs.

1 Like

After flying all day yesterday without issue, I had my very first CTD since starting with the sim in August. Flight was KJAN to KLIT and CTD just before touchdown onto 04L.

Reverted back to 496.76 which has been stable for me, cleared shader caches and rolling cache and re-did the flight.

Landed without issue.

Hard to say its the driver, but everything worked great with 496.76 so I’ll stay there.

Clouds also looked way better (REX) on that version.

Installing a new graphics card driver can solve all problems