Nvidia Image Scaling NIS and VR

Is it me or are the colours and lighting more realistic using this?
For instance when flying in thick storm clouds my plane would be lit up totally unrealistically, now it’s completely dark and I have to put my instrument lights on to see anything.
Brilliant!

1 Like

See my older explanation here. In-game scaling should be 100% and you should prefer the use of NIS over in-game scaling.

These tips will all be condensed in the upcoming beta thread.

3 Likes

The issue is my Quest is already at the max possible in the application. So i cannot increase the slider any more. So even 0.9 scaling with NIS decreases the clarity even if it gives me some FPS. :frowning:

In oculus Software scalierung 90 Hz an factor 1.5 and you have a higher Resolution in game

Yes that’s exactly what i am at. I think NIS at this point can be used to increase performance at the cost of visual fidelity.

You should see better image quality with Render Scale 100/NIS 0.9 /OXR 100 than what you see with Render Scale 90/OXR100 while the application and OXR render pipeline draws the exact same amount of pixels in the screen.

Thus the net effect is either more FPS with same image quality or same FPS with better image quality.

Just to say after a few more flights (and the latest alpha) I now think there may be some advantages for me as Quest 2 user to use VD Ultra + 0.9 scaler (row 3 on my grid). I have similar FPS as VD high and similar cockpit readibility (maybe fractionally more aliasing), but I am noticing a better sharpness of some distant objects particularly hills on the horizon, which I did not look for or notice on my first test.

ok wait a minute… so I though using Ctrl+F1 was to turn your mod OFF, well that is not the case… well when I use Ctrl+F1 there is big difference in text clarity when I first tried the mod it was blurry I used Ctrl+F1 it looked better I use “Shift+Z” mod to display FPS this mod’s text looked better, and to some extend lettering on A320 displays seemed to look better.
What I am getting at is your mod defaulting to the Bilinear or NIS scaling it seems to me it is defaulting to the bilinear why not make it default to the NIS.
The Bilinear did seem to give slightly better performance, but I cant tell for sure from little bit I was testing, would like to know what is the intend of this mod to give the bilinear or the NIS.
Overall your mod does improve performance on my PC definitely I am little puzzled only by the Ctrl+1 function, also scale function does not seem to make any difference for me, I will play some more over the weekend.

Btw that goes without saying thank you very much for your work to improve our simming experience.

1 Like

Unfortunately you cannot disable the scaling entirely because it requires the game to recreate resources, and it’s not possible from outside the game code itself.

It definitely defaults to NIS. Not sure what you are seeing.

1 Like

Mostlikely not needed to said, but, let us know on this thread with the new beta thread starts.

1 Like

All good, I’ve just found your other post. You have now answered all of my questions, thanks again. Great job.

I can’t find the new post about NIS addon - please give the title.

Thanks

You are on the main thread now - but the main info is a bit buried:

As for the new thread, it hasn’t happened yet.

Beta is looking ready to ship - however there is a little concern at the moment about the new NIS 1.0.1 shader., so it’s delaying things a little bit.

9 Likes

@Rug4Ever What were your pre NIS settings? and where was your avg framerate in game for your GFX/CPU setup?

So:
In oculus app you set the super sampling from there, you didn’t also in OTT as well? you left at 0 for pixel override? I assume when posters say 200% OXR the are referring to Pixel override i.e in Oculus OTT 2.0 = 200% and in your case 1.2 = 120%?.

Are you also using the Oculus OXR,json or steam?

Can any one do a definitive guide on how to setup this up?
I’m using Quest 2, but not sure which runtime to actually use.
I’ve installed the NIS and get the correct details in the log file, but I really don’t know if it is working or not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a functionality check whack ctrl+F1 in flight and see if the graphics change. If they do, you’re good to go.

Hi - I suspect some of the confusion with the cntrl + f1 is because sometimes the first time the control key is pressed during a flight, it alone toggles the mode without the F1 key needing to be pressed. After that, both control and F1 need to be pressed

I would love to find a better key combo. Reminder: I don’t actually play this game lol. Can someone suggest a combination of keys that is unused and easily doable while wearing the headset? Thanks!!

CTRL + F1 is just fine. I did disable all the keyboard bindings for CTRL, F1 and combinations that had either CTRL, F1 of both. No problems whatsoever.

Yeah maybe I got confused and pressed it once before, there is no indication weather you’re using Bilinear or NIS once you press it (that I know of), but yes after trying again text does seem to be crispier at the initial load, hence defaulting to NIS, more time playing around with it is needed :slight_smile: