Nvidia Image Scaling NIS and VR

Anyone who tested it already? It could possibly give more fps without reducing image quality too much.
Afaik there is only a steamVR version out, so I can’t try as I am running WMR.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to run NIS on my 2D display but it’s an ultra-widescreen 2560x1080 monitor and there isn’t another resolution supported by FS2020 that has the same aspect ratio so even if NIS gives me a boost the display is all wrong.

1 Like

Or you can change your desktop resolution to a lower one right before launching MSFS? I guess Windows have other resolutions for your aspect ratio? And does turning ON NIS add like for me new resolutions in the NVidia Control Panel?

1 Like

MSFS uses OpenXR, not OpenVR, so unfortunately the FSR mod won’t work no ?

This is already being discussed here in detail…

I’m not a VR user but just seen a You Tube vid that mentions a new Open XR version is out today, if that’s of any use to you VR guys n gals.

1 Like

A new version is due out by end of the day, not out yet from what I can see.

I’ve checked the other resolutions available and none of them is the correct aspect ratio. I suppose I could manually create one and add it, may try that.

Edit: I did it :slight_smile: Many thanks for the suggestion. I created a custom 21:9 resolution in the Nvidia control panel, applied, it and now NIS is giving me a significant FPS boost.

2 Likes

Are you talking about vr or monitor flying?

Monitor. I’ll try VR at the weekend.

Even more complicated, for Reverb G2, MSFS uses WMR OpenXR - because SteamVR OpenXR doens’t work well. So all tools that work in SteamVR games don’t work in WMR, despite the supposedly same OpenXR standard.

There is a similar issue with Leap Motion / UltraLeap hand tracking hardware. Somebody needs to write a driver for WMR/OpenXR.

1 Like

I did understand, that NIS isnt working with FS2020 (VR), because it has to integrate by Microsoft/Asobo to the game itself (via SDK).

1 Like

That’s not how NIS works. It should work in any game without integration.

But it wont work in VR. It need some kind a integration from Asobo to NIS work in VR.

1 Like

I don’t see why that would be the case. VR is rendered on the screen like anything else.

Confirmed that NIS works in VR with MSFS. I added the “NIS” overlay to verify. It is definitely running. How well it works though, I’m not too certain. Didn’t notice much improvement in FPS. Need to test further.

Lowering the resolution in the sim should kick in the NIS scaler. Should be a relatively simple test. Lower the res, see if the frame rate goes up, while maintaining a relatively decent picture.
I’m going to try this today.

1 Like

Nope, NIS doesn’t work in VR. Quest 2.

It does kick in for the VR projection of the MSFS on the monitor. I see the NIS indicator light up green and can definitely see up-scaling and sharpening of the VR image on the monitor, but inside the headset the resolution is whatever you set it to in VR settings and I’m not getting any FPS boost. Same framerate as before.

Running my desktop in 1920x1080 which idicates (50%) upscale in Nvidia
Same resolution set in MSFS for the desktop mode.
Changing resolution for the VR, below 100, degrades image quality as expected and I do not see any up-scaling or sharpening happening within the headset.

using steamVR ?

No, running it through the Oculus and AirLink.
Will test in SteamVR, and I’m guessing I would need to run it through the VirtualDesktop to get it running through SteamVR’s OpenXR runtime.

Update, so MSFS doesn’t have the “openvr_api.dll” to replace with the modded one, so this won’t kick in in the headset itself, regardless whether its Oculus or SteamVR I would run it through.

NIS is enabled only in the desktop mode via Nvidia settings and not the mod, so it affects only pancake images.

1 Like