Nvidia NIS did you try it out yet?

Hey guys,

Was wondering how you guys experienced Nvidia NIS so far with MSFS.
For me personally it was quite a blurry mess and sharpening looked bad on all levels.

Maybe cuz the sim doesnt run in exclusive full screen?
Anyway it’s basically FSR u can use on any game.
Try it out and share your thoughts, tips & tricks here.
Might help others and myself included hehe.

My native res is 3840x1600 btw

1 Like

I just tried it. Not at all what I was expecting. I enabled sharpening and set to 67 as that is apparently what Nvidia recommend. I play in VR with OpenXR set to 100 and in sim render to 85. I didn’t change either of these settings.

I didn’t notice nay perceptible increase in frame (I didn’t measure just relied on subjective feelings) but my clarity in VR considerably improved. I have no idea why as I figured this would make the image slightly worse but it doesn’t everything was the sharpest I’ve ever seen it. The pixellation in the clouds vanished as well. Very strange results, but pleased so far!

I have not change any settings just updated the driver, I notice the cloud aswell and it seemed smoother and no ghosting of runway light stands as I pass them

Ok, I’ve just learnt that Nvidia scaling doesn’t work in VR, so i disabled it again and reloaded. It still looks great without NIS on, and the clouds are non pixelated. So, either I’m going crazy and am imagining a placebo, or the clouds and some other visual improvements are from the driver and not NIS itself, at least for VR.

I have no idea now!

So I did turn it on at 85%, sharpening at 100. With my other settings the same (DSR @ 4k, 70% render scaling in-game on a 1080p monitor, 200s on LODs), visually I see no difference, and my GPU render latency stayed exactly the same, maxing out just under 32ms on the ground.

However, and this makes NO sense to me yet, my CPU render latency has smoothed out considerably. At JFK and over Central Park, where I would normally start to see little spikes of red on my main thread, it just didn’t. I even set my in game vsync from 30 to 60 to see if I get those small stutters from the main thread struggling to keep up, and I never saw it spike or stutter. 43 fps in flight on a 3060ti, all GPU settings maxed.

Is NIS supposed to be a pre-processing enhancement? Are we supposed to see the benefit on the CPU side, or am I just drinking the snake oil? Because I really can’t believe the results I got.

Update: upon my approach back to JFK, I ended up turning vsync back down to 30 fps due to some light stuttering and a couple of fps dips below 30 due to CPU load. Once the vsync was set back to 30, everything was back to smooth and silky. So, in conclusion, I’m not 100% certain that the NIS is doing much of anything, at least at 85%.

is there any benefit to this?

1 Like

I have a pretty low-end system and there was talk of it being best for lower-end systems but let me get back to you after testing.

1 Like

Thanks! be interested to know.

I tried it and it seems that image scaling is not working as MSFS does not run in pure full scren mode.
The sharpening works ok nevertheless.
To conclude, I think this is useless for MSFS.

No it works. You have to set the desktop first on a lower resolution. And then start the sim. In the sim set the display mode the same as on your (lower) desktop. for example i set my desktop and the sim on 2176x1224 (monitor native is 2560x1440). The overlays shows green and i got a frame boost from 10 Procent. Check also (in Devmode show fps) that your FPS are not limited bij the CPU. Only if the FPS are limited bij GPU gives a frameboost…

Doesnt work on Widescreen monitors unfortuantely, so i could not test it.

it does, i tested it on my 21:9 38 inch ultrawide.
but it’s bad tbh, in-sim render scaling is better than nvidia NIS.

DLSS would be better

I do not see the advantage of doing this.
Finally you display your sim at a lower resolution than the native one of your monitor
As a consequence, you have a boost in framerates.
But the object of NIS is to upscale a lower résolution in game to the native resolution of the monitor.
And in your process, this is not the case.

What is this? Its like ReShade?

Yes. But thats actualy the benefit of this new Nvidia upscaling method (Google for it). The image scaling does a nice job to upscale this lower (desktop)image to the native resolution of the Monitor. The image is much better and displays on the native full monitor scale. Also the NIS scaling gives som extra scaling resolutions too choose from for your desktop.
Because MSFS is a borlerless window that’s the only way its works. There are tips elsewhere on this forum to use a MSFS full screen (edit the config.opt file) but that doesn’t work for me.
So the MSFS image is with image scaling much clearer as on native lower resolution.
Try it out!.

Hm, strange. Never worked for me or it ended on CTD after loading a flight…

Also check this out,
works awesome

1 Like

I tried it out on my 4k monitor and was able to gain 10 or so FPS without being able to notice a drop in IMAGE quality. I only went with a 20% sharpening as this was recommended for 4k.

Can’t wait to try it once they fix the latest gpu driver.
Id actually argue it looks slightly better with NIS.

I do not understand how this works…
Is it possible to have a clear explanation?
The description in github is also not clear…

Its simple a (program overlay) dll that uses Nvidia upscaling method (NIS) also for VR. NIS works normal only on a normal (not widescreen) monitor but gives a great FPS boost. I got in VR from 19 FPS to 25FPS. Ofcourse DLSS method is better but this also dont work on VR (and so far not useable in MSFS). It is possible in VR but much more effort is needed. Mabe somebody (or #Asobo?) gives it a try?

NIS is also much better then the scaling method in OpenXR tools or the scaling in MSFS itself.
Also this tool is (for now) only usefull for WMR VR. But the author is working on a Steam VR method.

Yes it is a bit technical but “Google is your friend”.
If you have a WMR VR headset try it out.
Also try the standaard NIS on your desktop (it is free in the newest Nvidia drivers) . This gives a nice frameboost on your monitor and is also very usefull.