NVidia's GEForce Experience degrades graphics performance

I ran across this YouTube video Msfs2020*Huge Performance Increase w/ this Hack*De-Bloat your Nvidia Driver & Gain FPS! Game CHANGER - YouTube regarding a simmer that developed some optimizing activities around the NVidia drivers and configurations. He pointed out that a typical NVidia driver installation created several objects identified as NVidia Containers in Windows Task Manager and posited that these containers might be causing performance issues. He used 3rd party utilities to perform a clean driver install and installation options for the drivers. These activities were successful in improving the graphics performance in MSFS. These manual activities would have to be done every time the graphics drivers are updated.

I thought I might accomplish similar results if I just uninstalled GEForce Experience in Windows Apps. I ended up with just 2 containers, down from 5, in Task Manager, and the performance results were simply amazing. I could fly through the skyscrappers in New York City without stutters, completely smooth sailing. Without the knowledge/tool, I can’t provide deltas in FPS.

If you can do without the services of GEForce Experience, uninstall and be amazed!

2 Likes

Hello,

I agree with that ! My FPS around 40-50 constantly and lot of stutter when moving the camera and Geforce Experience was the cause. See my post below :

Would you report this to NVIDIA so they can fix it?

Same here. Enabling the GEF In-Game Overlay causes crippling stutters when panning.

For me, I didn’t even have the overlay enabled in-game and got stuttered. Only uninstalling the whole program (GEF XP) solved the problem.

2 Likes

Uninstall it…

GeForce Experience is a well known hog, but you don’t need to do anything special to get rid of it.
Just uninstall it, and when you update the drivers next time from Nvidia, just don’t select it to install, as well as do a clean installation.

There is also no need to muck around with these “special cut down Nvidia driver installations” you’ll read about, either. There seems to be a whole cult built around these. Keep it simple.

3 Likes

we have some topics about these “vodoo video”. It seems you simple missconfigured somewhat. Often the users have “highlight background recording” enabled, or “game auto optimization” etc. which can cause different performance results. GeforceExp cause normaly no issues or negative performance.

But in case you not need e.g. shadowplay , or other features likes filters or auto-driver-update … then of course you not need to have it installed :slight_smile:

yep :slight_smile: … and not less reports about “killed windows” because of these “special versions”

1 Like

that makes it easier to remove nvidia telemetrie (container files & services)

Disable-Nvidia-Telemetry

Well, same here before in other titles… i simply uninstalled Geforce experience, as my experience lead me to believe that the graphics looked different from week to week, as the settings got autoupdated as someone else saw fit… it was rediculous…
So, every time i get a new Nvidia driver, i choose custom install, Do NOT install the Geforce experience, then “clean install option” and do a quick reboot afterwards before i start up any games.

Sometimes i mess around with graphics settings, but mostly they are good for the games i play, GFEx just changes the settings every once in a while as it sees fit, whereas my system hasn’t changed one bit… Anyways… hope more dare to walk the path to enlightenment.

Also, i’ve contacted Nvidia before about why one of the Nvidia containers was scanning my harddrive… apparently it was looking for new games, with a HDD skip every like 5 seconds… drove me nuts. They couldn’t/wouldn’t give me the answer i was looking for, (he probably hadn’t come across it himself yet) but deleting GFEx was the solution. And yes, only 2 containers left now.

woof ~ Woof & Salute

Steiny

Are you sure GeoForce Experience is making the changes? Somehow MSFS changed all my settings to Ultra and my FPS cratered and CTDs happened about every other flight. I was changing just about everything and found all settings at Ultra. I know GeoForce Experience didn’t change the settings because when it does, all the settings were changed to Low.

Geforce experience only changes your graphics settings if you have the Automatically optimise option ticked. Just make sure this option is not ticked

I have tried removing Geforce experience in the past and it has never made any performance difference to my setup.

As I like to use the Freestyle filters to tweak the visual quality of MSFS I keep it installed.

The only time I have noticed any effect is in the latest SU10 beta, If I use the performance overlay to display FPS etc… it causes major stuttering which continues for some time after you turn the overlay off.
Not a major issue as I can use other methods to check FPS etc…

Hopefully a future Nvidia driver or MSFS Sim Update will fix that issue.

5 Likes

Even if i´m happy with my performance (at least in DX11), just out of curiosity, I could try to see if it is the cause of my stutters in DX12.

But there is a problem…

I can´t stand how over-exposed MSFS looks if I don´t use the exposure / gamma filters in GeForce Experience (the only reason why I have it installed). Any alternatives for this?

I stopped using GE a while ago for exactly this reason - there was a noticeable degradation in performance, without allowing GE to interfere with FS2020 settings. As confirmation, on a recent driver update I ended up re-installing GE accidentally by carelessly pressing the wrong button. The performance degradation (marked reduction in FPS and repeated stuttering) returned immediately. I uninstalled it - normal serice resumed. I am in no doubt that GE reduces FS2020 performance.

1 Like

There is a program called reshade which many seem to prefer but I didn’t have much luck getting it to work.

still with enabled “game auto optimization”, or ? :wink: … as @XTCQuinn mentioned, thats the first thing which users should disable and in case games are already optimzed, choose in main-dialog the “reset optimization”. Then check whether highligt-recording in enabled ( should not be per default ) and thats it.

If users also not like the GFE overlay , it can also be disabled at all within the settings… of course some features then no longer available.

2 Likes

Can someone point me to the process of manually upgrading the drivers?

Go into the userconfig.opt (open with notepad) in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ (for the microsoft store version)

and play around with the postprocess block…
Here’s my settings right now, not saying theyre good, just saying they are not overly anoying.

{PostProcess
Enabled 1
EyeAdaptation 1
ColorGrading 0
Sharpen 0
Fringe 1
LensDistortion 1
Dirt 1
LensFlare 1
FilmGrain 0
Vignette 0

I believe the overexposure comes from the colorgrading set to 1… but… expect a bit more dark and gloomyness when you put it to 0. Also, in the lower, VR Settings, i’ve got everything to 0, as that works best for when i fly with the quest 2 every once in a while.

Hope it helps.

After having set all the settings in the nvidia control panel manually for years, then running nvidia’s Geforce experience since they first came up with it, i’m pretty confident that some things changed over time, sometimes from week to week, without me touching the “optimize” button(yeah, no auto optimize enabled here :wink: ). But once i started hearing my hdd click, i first thought my hdd was failing, but after watching the nvidia containers activating the HDD with “only” 1.5% occupancy on the cpu, it was just enough to make me wonder if that anoying noise was triggered by nvdia’s doings, in an otherwise pretty silent room and watercooled system… i deinstalled GFEx and the problem vanished… since then i’ve come to the conclusion that most games run just fine, i dont get anoyed with jaggy edges that appear without a driver update, which has happend to me quite the number of times with GFex… and the clicking noise that all HDD drivers fear, has vanished. But since it was there every like 8 seconds and it’s not there now, that counts to me as a result. Whatever you do with my result is upto you. As for your system, your specs are nice to run msfs pretty good, and for your information, i’ve got a regular 1080, not the ti, and i’m running everything ingame on ultra with terrain on 200, resolution 100, fps set to either 30 or even 20, which i’ve found is pretty fluid, as i’m running 75 hz on the monitor, the 20fps thing actually gives me a steady 25 fps all round, and on 30 it gives me 37.5fps which fluctuates a bit, but doesn’t stutter much. (stutters only in tight turns and turning on the ground, somehow it just cannot keep up.but what do you expect, it’s a 1080 as the 3080’s are still waaaay too overpriced and also powerhungry. hahaha)

yeah, sorry i didn’t say so, but i had that option off from the start, so i could hit “optimize” at my own will if i wanted to see what nvidia “thought” was best for my configuration. As i expirimented with it, i just noticed that it’s just not giving the settings my system can handle, rather underrating it’s abilities, which resulted in screentearing… but again, as i mentioned, in “other games”. Haven’t run msfs with nvid Gforce experience, just saying i’m staying quite the distance away from it. :wink:

I’m just glad the Original Poster found solice in not using GFex to provide for himself a better userexperience in MSFS2020, sorry for the confusion, just wanted to get my impulsive 2 cents in.

You can manually download the drivers here: Official Drivers | NVIDIA
Just make sure you select the correct graphics card you are running.
Then just Check my previous post m8, you are still using the same driverupdate exe from the Nvidia drivers website, you are just not doing the automatic install process, just a couple clicks, that’s all.

Woof ~ Woof & Salute!

Steiny

Short message to my former self, and those like me:

Sky! I’m you! From the future! If you’re reading this, keep doing so!

I thought I needed Geforce Experience for the post-processing filters. I needed them a lot.

Turned out it was BECAUSE of Geforce Experience that I needed those. Finally giving in to this advice, deleting GefExperience, and I gained some 18 FPS on average (from ~32 to ~50 fps now) and it’s perfectly sharp.

Forget all the cleaninstall stuff. Just go to your programs/apps and delete Geforce Experience. If it doesn’t work for you like it did for others, simply reinstall and you had nothing to lose except for a few minutes of your time.

sorry, but that I cant believe. Can you share some more informations about your system and may be additional settings. If all user lost 50% performance , the big internet would be full of reports. And as some users mentioned too: I can not see any performance impact. So, would be intressting what the reason in your case was/is.

EDIT: one note, the usage of some kind of FreeStyle Filters are of course not “for free” , if you had one enabled :slight_smile: