NXi Screens Go Blank in Flights that Transition Daylight to Darkness - REPRODUCIBLE

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

We have had sporadic reports since SU10 of the NXi going blank in the middle of the flight. This has happened on the C172, the Bonanza and the SR22. It appears related to two factors - one is lighting changes in the sim - particularly during transition from late afternoon - to dusk - to early evening while flying. The other is the default setting of the NXi to Auto-Brightness and 90 percent on both the PFD and the MFD.

What happens: During a flight that occurs from late afternoon into early darkness, the NXi will suddenly go black on both the PFD and MFD screens. Note that if you use either ESC or SET PAUSE ON, you can see the screens restore themselves - but you can’t do anything since you’re in a Pause state naturally.

You can partly resolve this by moving Real Time back or forward until you get to Daylight again. Then the screens are visible. The more permanent way to fix this is to go into the PFD Menu and turn Autobrightness OFF on both the PFD and MFD, and set the brightness values to any number greater than (>) 70.

This issue goes back quite a while in time. See also this thread on the Working Title Discord where the defect is encountered and troubleshot in detail:

https://discord.com/channels/750764704175226992/869745834940583936/1035279786039320636

UPDATE - I was able to video-capture the phenomenon during a startup of the Bonanza.

https://youtu.be/w7VRtt-_7HU

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

You can see in the first screenshot that the aircraft is still powered electrically - otherwise the ATC window would not be offering me options.

Second screenshot - showing you the time workaround - I’ve wound the clock back to daylight hours and the screens restore themselves.

Third screenshot shows you the more time-friendly way to WORKAROUND this defect - change the Autobrightness settings to manual and greater than 70 percent. I did this while the screens were visible during daylight as in the second screenshot above then, turned Real Time back on.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Start a flight in a default sim aircraft that uses the Working Title G1000 NXi which is now part of core sim code. Make sure to use Real Time and be flying during a period of transition where daylight moves into darkness (i.e., late-afternoon to dusk to early evening). Also use the MENU option the PFD to ensure that Auto-Brightness is ON both the PFD and MFD and the values are 90 percent. While not completely 100 percent reproducible, the screens will go black shortly after dusk and just before it starts to become completely dark outside. Use either ESC or Set Pause ON and you’ll see the screens restore themselves - however, you can’t do anything with them since the sim is in a Pause state. Using either CTRL-P or Set Pause Off to return to the sim, and the screens disappear again.

There are two ways to restore them:

1. Change Real Time and move the time either forward or back to full daylight (i.e., noon local time) and the screens reappear. However, your flying session continuity is disrupted because of the artificially induced time change.

2. Instead of changing time, go into the PFD Menu and turn Autobrightness OFF on both the PFD and MFD, and set the brightness values to any number greater than (>) 70.

UPDATE - I was able to recreate this 100 percent using the G1000 SP Skyhawk. Start a flight in Real Time and ensure it’s dark outside. Try following the checklist per the screenshot below. Note that BAT and ALT are ON, yet PFD is dark.

Drag the Real Time to Daylight and watch the screen appear.

See the supporting screenshots above.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU10

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

Flying from South Bend to Chicago Midway in the DA62X Mod, about 10 minutes after the sun had set while on final approach, both PFD and MFD went blank.

My screenshot is in the DA62X Mod thread.

Yep

It reproduces in the same way consistently.

Yes

No Mods.
Shyhawk 172 glass.
Live weather On.
In flight from mid day to early evening. Just after sunset, both pfd/mfd went black.
I missed the exact moment, but just after sunset as it became dark outside.
Panels briefly came on at touchdown(0.5 second…ish)
Panels returned at shutdown.
**Systems/AP all felt as working, just black panels… ? auto-dimming too far ?

On at shutdown

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

N/A

Brief description of the issue:

a weird issue where the aircraft displays are somehow linked to the day night cycle in some GA aircraft. If I set it to night the screens go black set it back to day and everything is fine.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

simple load into the SR22 or the Baron load into an airport and switch to night. Screens go black boom

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

N/A

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

like SU10 reported it before back then and showed prof and ofc it was of no help

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

We are currently unable to reproduce this issue in the latest build - would anyone mind confirming if they are still experiencing this?

Thanks!

I had this issue with WU13 1.32.7.0 recently. Two hour flight started before sunset, screen went dark on descend just before approach. Brightness was set all correct, on/off avionics switch didn’t change anything. Worth mentioning two things.

• I didn’t try to revert time back as I wasn’t aware of this raised bug. I voted on the day.
  • I’m using SR22 realism mod by MGouge425 but changelog mentions only changes made to the engine and flight model parameters, and the aircraft weight and balance.
  • Using core G1000, no mods for it installed.

Yes I experienced it just now in the SR22. As soon as day turned to night the screens went black. I can only turn them back on by changing the night back to day.

1 Like

I had the problem today (with everything up to date) in the DA40, but since I didn’t know about the bug that time I wasn’t be able to do the fix.

But I have something to add: If I switched on the ESS BUS red switch then the right panel went completely black and the left had some glow but nothing was visible.

The same bug i h have had on Xbox. As day light turns into nightfall, screen get blank on Nxi

Was this fixed? I am experiencing this bug in the Kodiak. Today with 1.33.8.0

Dev Team couldn’t recreate, so I don’t think so. Status is still Feedback Logged.

Me too same prob with 1.33.8.0

The issue is still present!

Even uninstalling all mods and add-ons from MFS, every single aircraft using the Garmin glass cockpit presents the same black-out screens when transitioning from daylight to night time.

I hope we can have the Dev Team helping us around this issue!

I am still experiencing this issue exactly as described by the other members.

OK, So I verified this issue.
The screen brightness continues to decrease when it gets darker, such that the brightness level sinks below 36%. Once it hits 35%, the screens are too dark to display.

I do not know if this happens when weather/time of day are set and adjusted to night. I have not experienced it starting a flight at night.

How to reproduce:
Dusk flight.
Press PFD Menu.
Change PFD Display set from Auto to Manual. You can now adjust brightness down to 35% and it go dark, turn it up to 36% and it is back on. Set your preferred brightness.
Fly into the night and see the MFD to dark when it reaches 35%.

If this happens to you, you can remember the “cheat sequence”, as described here, to restore the PFD/MFD.

Cheat Sequence
Press PFD Menu.
Large knob 1 right.
Small knob 2 right.
ENT (Enter)
Lage knob 1 right.
Small knob right, one to many, turns until the PFD reappears.
Now you can see the PFD again. Adjust the MFD to manual and above 35%.

Solution for Asobo is to prevent brightness from going below 36%??? Or figure out why to goes dark at 35%.

Weird: Starting a night flight sets the PFD/MFD auto brightness to 30%. I can adjust the brightness down to 0% and up to 100% and it stays on.

1 Like

I’m unable to reproduce this. Can you suggest an airport, date, weather and exact time of day to reproduce, please?

In this video I am flying the Kodiak. I have had this happen in the DA-62 and Bonanza, too.

As noted, I do not think this happens flying from day to night (Brightness is 100%). It happens when the flight is started within a certain time frame before sunset (Auto Brightness is less than 100%.

My flight was about one hour long and the display brightness descends to 35% when it shuts off. If I start too late, or too early, I can manually adjust the brightness from 0% to 100% without an issue.

Not airport specific. I start from a parking space, cold and dark and Live weather, etc.

Now I am having a hard time trying to reproduce it, too. Looks like it may be associated to a specific time when it occurs??? I remember it being shortly after 0 UTC when it happened, in the mid-west (Indiana/Michigan).

Actually, I once had this happen in California in the DA62.

Things I have tried to replicate it, but failed, so far:

• Starting cold and dark, or hot on runway, at ENBO and KTEX at times from daylight to night when auto brightness starts at ranges from 100% to very low. Then manually dimming screen to 0% which happens smoothly with no blackout.
  • Starting a flight at KTEX in DA-62 just before dusk, when auto brightness was at 100%, flying south until night. (Spawned in air in DA-62 above KTEX, 12:30 UTC on september 6th, AP flight, 13k feet, heading 164. Live weather, but then selected clear skies after 5 minutes. Auto brightness hit 30% at 2:10 UTC and still fine. Could then manually smoothly dim down to 0%).
  • Same as previous, but started 1:54 UTC, auto brightness around 50%.

I would love to be able to see this happen with the behaviourdebug open, but I can’t get it to happen at all :frowning:

Bumping this, the issue is still present after SU 13. Frustrating because this has made any G1000 NXi aircraft unusable for evening flights.

1 Like