NZ weather missing

For NZ, only NZAA, NZWN and NZCH METARs are published publicly. Meteoblue does not include any METARs for airports outside of these three. This makes FS2020 weather, in New Zealand, pretty poor compared to real conditions.

Please can Microsoft & Asobo get Meteoblue to contact the New Zealand MetService to agree an arrangement to include the METARs for the rest of New Zealand?

Maybe that is because they are the only airports in NZ that use METARs. METARs Aviation Weather

Iā€™m a real pilot in New Zealand :slight_smile:

There are many more METARs than those three. I know the guy, at MetService, that the Asobo/Meteoblue guys need to talk to. New Zealand doesnā€™t give the METARs for free to the public, so they need to be purchased.

As much as i like your suggestion i doubt MS/Asobo will pay for the data for NZ weather. Say they did indeed make a commercial arrangement, How will this cost be past on to users? Will NZ be a subscription only, and becomes a no fly zone if you donā€™t pay.

Meteoblue, who provide the weather services to Asobo for FS2020, are a commercial entity that offer real-world services. Frankly, Iā€™m very surprised that they do not already have a commercial agreement for weather data in New Zealand.

Iā€™ve never had accurate meteorology in NZ, Even with Active Sky or REX in FSX/P3d. Iā€™m not getting my hopes up with MSFS either. But if MSFS manages to get good coverage itā€™s a bonus for us down under.

Iā€™ve been talking to MetService about the flight simulation use case. Theyā€™re looking to revamp their licensing model and, as part of that, are considering a ā€˜non-operationalā€™ licence. Thatā€™d help give ActiveSky etc. access to the data.

3 Likes

This explains why I have a clear sky flying in nz last night

Makes it hard for us because MSFS weather will never be accurate with 3 weather stations in NZ. Active Sky in P3d did an ok job with interpolation previously but was no way near accurate when say between Auckland and Wellington, Having said that REX Weather Force for MSFS gives better results intermittently on occasions but is slightly more precise than Meteoblue data being feed into the sim currently.

Need to get this upvoted enough so that it gets on Asoboā€™s radar - then they can hopefully get this resolved through Meteoblue.

3 Likes

Got my vote. Would be great to see the NZ aviation weather publicly accessible from the provinces to make regional flying more accurate!

1 Like

It has been like this forever. Simmers canā€™t get free access to MetFlight or MetJet so the best we can probably hope for is estimated weather through global weather models like WIndy.com.

Or just let us input custom METARs.

Or, as Iā€™m proposing, Asobo can get Meteoblue to talk to MetService and come up with a viable arrangement to get access to those METARs. Iā€™ve already talked to MetService and theyā€™re looking at a ā€˜non-operational useā€™ licence that will be more cost-effective for sim developers.

Been flying round NZ quite a bit recently and noticed issues with the weather. For example in the menu the screen suggests it will be overcast but i am met with bright sunny conditions.

Similar in Brazil I got storms in the menu and then scattered clouds with some lightning!

MetService has adopted the ā€œuser paysā€ model with aviation weather ever since it was pushed by the last National government ~10 years ago. I donā€™t see the likes of HiFiSim ponying up cash to provide simmers with accurate weather for NZā€™s regional airports, when they can easily be auto-generated.

Easily auto-generated? On what basis? Interpolation is really poor when there are only three source METARs covering the whole of NZ.

But, I agree with you that itā€™s unlikely that HiFi Sim and others will purchase these METARs from MetService. Meteoblue, however, operate a commercial aviation service that Microsoft are paying them for. Therefore Iā€™d expect that to include the NZ METARs. Surely their other paying customers would want this too?

The weather variations and cycles times are a big contributor to realism when flying on these uniquely variegated islands in the hemisphere with only really Australia and South America as a source zones and typically low Ricardsons numbers. Got my vote for sure and 100% easy and probably cheep fix with a chat with the right person as ady mentioned.

Easily auto-generated? On what basis? Interpolation is really poor when there are only three source METARs covering the whole of NZ.

Iā€™m talking about global models like the ECMWF, which Windy.com uses.

1 Like

Any update on this topic? A new website has been setup to replace MetFlight and is free for everyone. Gives METAR & TAF plus heaps more from all aerodromes around NZ. The website is called GoPreflight and can be accessed here. https://gopreflight.co.nz/

The free version is for non commercial use but hopefully could be a start to getting this info available for injection into the sim?

With the next world update being NZ, would be a great time to get Asobo to get on this.

3 Likes

I just found out about this issue with NZā€¦ Many restarts after found out that i donā€™t have an issue with my FSā€¦

Pretty surprised that this is still a thingā€¦