Oculus Quest 2 vs everything else

Question centres around the connection method of Quest 2 vs the others. From what I can deduce the Quest 2 links to the computer via a USB cable (3.1 Ideally) and presume the other VR headsets connect via the GPU?

If so what effect does this have on the output on the OQ2? Presumably the graphics are therefore reliant on the processing of the OQ2 rather than reliant on the video card?

Advice would be helpful as considering the Quest 2

I connected by cable
Worked 1st time no problem

Straight into UsB

No perceivable latency (& I’m sensitive to latency ), no pixelation it becomes 100% a PC VR headset

I do have a 3080 Gpu
Make sure your cable tests in oculus usb test over 2gb , mine is 2.1gb

I super sample in oculus 1.6 , 90hz

Not tried wireless yet no real need as all ok as is & cable also helps charge

Good luck

Good advice, thanks.

But just so I am clear - as you are not plugging the OQ2 though the GPU it is not reliant on power of GPU, is that right?

Of course Link connection of Q2 relies on your PC’s gpu power, it would not make sense otherwise. The usb connection just transports compressed image data.

Yes correct

Quest link only plugs into the USB port
1 socket only

The headset uses power from its own battery but my pc charges too at about 50% rate eg the headset battery slowly runs out , last twice as long due to usb

Your GPU is still used in same way even though headset is plugged into usb

Thanks both,

I think you have answered my query. When I said GPU power I meant the processing power (1060, 2060, 3070 etc as example) rather than electrical power.

I understand that it draws the compressed image data from the GPU though the USB and therefore the processing power of the GPU is relevant and the image data isn’t simply processed at the headset (albeit i understand that there is some processing carried out at the headset to produce the two images for eyes).

And to you first response @Adystealth it appears that there is no penalty for doing it this way as oppose to plugging in directly to the GPU.

Thanks both.

1 Like

I would not say there 's no penalty. You probably need a bit more processing power than with a comparable headset which is connected via gpu. Also you may find that Link and MSFS isn’t complete hassle free.

Re. Link encode

But RTX especially 3 series pretty much handles it without effecting performance
The overhead is very very small

I did read somewhere that 3 series handle this separately causing no effect on the FPS

That’s how I understand it anyhow

My quest 2 is pretty much always linked to PC now

Note : I have no other headset to compare but quest 2 is giving me super sharp visuals no noticeable latency performaing well , plus 120hz update coming this month apparently so I’m very happy
It’s swings & roundabouts with headsets,

the quest2 being only 299 & next gen headsets coming maybe next winter or during 2022 , right now quest 2 is a great place to be imo

If you use the link cable with the Quest 2 then your data transfer is fairly compromised on account of the link cable only being USB and relatively slow. A lot of data needs to get sent to the headset very quickly. A USB connection is not optimal.

You can connect wirelessly and get a better data transfer if you’ve got 5Ghz wifi.

There’s pros and cons to both methods, which are discussed heavily in other threads here. It depends on your hardware capabilities as to what will suit you.

For what its worth I’ve got an RTX 3080 and a Ryzen 5 5600X and I get better and more stable performance in the sim currently with the virtual desktop via wi-fi method of connection. I recently went back to the virtual desktop method after a long while of using the link cable and for me the performance is noticeably less stuttery and generally more consistent.

2 Likes

What data transfer was you getting on your link test Mobias ?

( using the oculus usb test )

I might give virtual WiFi link a try although
I’m getting decent results with cable link
2.1gb transfer on the test

It runs racing sims & onward VR high settings
with around 50% headroom -according to steam

fs2020 decent but odd glitch in heavy areas

Hi. Network Engineer checking in. This is 100% incorrect. The best case throughput you’re going to get through 5ghz wifi is 1.3gbps. I’ve never anything close to that performance in real world consumer grade though. The poster has already reported receiving speeds of 2.1gbps on the cable. In actuality, USB 3.1, which most decent modern boards support can run at up to 10gbps. The authentic quest cable uses fiber specifically so they can support rates at that level. It isn’t currently performing at that speed, but it should be possible.

So wifi has a fraction of the potential throughput, somewhere between 1/5th and 1/8th what the cable can offer.

Edit: To add, if your computer is stuck on USB 2.0, then you would be correct. But 3 is pretty common now and is superior to wifi in every flavor that I’m aware of (3.0, 3.1, and 3.2).

1 Like

Do you belive that the oculus cable at £80 is worth it for the guaranteed speeds?

Fair enough but all I know is that I get noticeably better performance at higher settings with the virtual desktop wi-fi method than I do with a USB 3.2 connection via my link cable. It seems to be quite a common experience so either a lot of us have dodgy link cables or there’s something else going on.

I don’t think it yet does have those guaranteed speeds, unless something has changed. I’ve never heard anyone recommending one. I’ll be the first to get one though once its reported there’s a big difference with one.

I have to admit I’m in the same boat with the connection through Wi-Fi and Virtual Desktop, where Wi-Fi is a lot smoother and less prone to stutters than through link.

My Wi-Fi speed is 866Mbps,and through the aftermarket USB 3 link cable I have it’s 2 to 2.1GB so a mystery why the faster connection causes the biggest issues. I don’t have the official link cable so unable to say whether the issues I have had would be resolved if I had one.

My link cable connects into the USB C port on my motherboard as my GPU doesn’t have one, so not certain whether that makes a difference as well.

1 Like

To add

My link cable was £20 off
Amazon , not the official one ,
Just USB to elbow USB-C
5 mtrs, works fine again 2.1gb in the speed test

Care to share a link to it on Amazon? Thanks

There we go, current price £29
Still cheaper than oculus version though
Just as quick but but thicker/heavier I understand , fine for me though.
Instant detection USB 3 by headset assuming your USB port is pukka

PS this was the 2nd cable I ordered
I returned the 1st attempt (different brand of cable) as it wasn’t good , only showed up as USB2 in oculus software , worked but restricted headsets potential

Looks similar in spec and price per metre to the one I got which was £20 but only needed a 3m one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FY1VPV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, thanks both. You have been most helpfull today.

Ordered my OQ2 and will pick it up tomorrow after your guidance.

Thanks again.

@LincolnSixE @Adystealth

1 Like

No worries, just for info there’s a pretty good video here that compares the official cable to an aftermarket one and may give you some more info. Not my video by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp2p_usoZb0

1 Like