Oculus Quest 2 with MSFS2020

My apologies if this is in the wrong location, however I have spent hours of reading and can not seem to find the simple solution to setting up my Oculus Quest 2 headset. Could someone be kind enough to explain what I’m missing?

I installed the Virtual Desktop. With my headset on, I can see my desktop, I can see and fly around in MSFS2020. But, it’s not in VR mode. It’s the same as if I’m sitting in front of my monitor?

What am I missing? Selecting CTRL TAB does not put it in VR mode?

Chris

1 Like

Isnt it Ctrl-Spacebar ? ( or maybe the default is Ctrl-Tab). Is the Oculus itself working ?
you dont need the virtual desptop to fly in FS.

Fire up your windows in 2D, then just load the Oculus app. (just on your 2D desktop)

go to settings in you Oculus app, and make sure you enable the ‘public’ test channel.
when you do that, a new version of oculus will start installing ( updating). let it finish.
(You just have to do this step the very first time.)

then load MFS 2020. (not from the virtual desktop, but from your 2D windows desktop).

Once your flight is done loading and you are in the cockpit, you can press Ctrl-Spacebar ( or whatever the default is, maybe it is ctrl-tab and i just changed it to ctrl-space, i dont remember now)

After 5 or 6 seconds loading, the view on your 2d monitor should then change to the double images ( as seen in VR). If VR is working/ activated , you will see it on your 2d monitor, ( the double oval images), and you should be in actual VR when you put on your headset.

You will still have to center your view when you get inside the cockpit in VR mode ( it usually positions you in weird, off center locations) .

for me, i set it to middle mouse button . Make sure you look straight ahead in your real room, at your yoke and screen, keep ur head still, and press the VR reset button.

Good luck.

1st make sure you can get into the cockpit in VR, then you will need some additional tweaking to center your view inside the cockpit: -

(for me , i use front, back, left, right arrow to translate the view to center it, and i use + to raise the seat height, minus to lower it.

You will have to program these as keyboard buttons in the options/control menu in FS.

I may be missing a step or two depending on if you have steam or not, but there are youtube videos that can guide you. Its been a while since i set up my VR, and i dont remember if

1 Like

You’ll also need to have SteamVR set as your OpenXR driver

1 Like

“Fire up your windows in 2D, then just load the Oculus app. (just on your 2D desktop)”

When you say start your windows in 2D. Are you talking about the headset or on my PC desktop?

I found that I have to launch a “simple” vr game from the virtual desktop app first. Then I close this and then I switch to msfs and hit the keys for vr. I don’t know why that works for me, but it does… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You need OpenXR to point to the SteamVR runtime.

Start > Regedit
Go to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

Replace the ActiveRuntime value to:
[SteamVR installation folder]\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\steamxr_win64.

Flobud, thank you but when I go in to the regedit, Khronos is not there.

I can see the desktop, fly in MSFS2020, hit the keys and nothing happens.

Alright then you need it installed. No OpenXR installed is why you cannot switch to VR.

Do you have OpenXR installed?
If no, install it from the Windows Store: Get OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality - Microsoft Store

Do you have the Oculus software installed?
If no, install it and run it:
https://www.oculus.com/download_app/?id=1582076955407037
Then opt-in for Beta in the settings. It will install everything and the values will appear.
If yes, opt-out of beta/opt back in for beta.

Once you have the values, you can make the change in order to use SteamVR for Virtual Desktop.

But to be honest you should play MSFS with the Link and use the Oculus runtime. I did try playing via SteamVR runtime (not even wirelessly) and it was a stutter fest with almost 10FPS less than with Oculus.

Alright then you need it installed. No OpenXR installed is why you cannot switch to VR.
Do you have OpenXR installed?
If no, install it from the Windows Store.
Done. Open XR installed.

Do you have the Oculus software installed?
On my headeset? Yes, and works good.

If no, install it and run it. Then opt-in for Beta in the settings. It will install everything and the values will appear.
If yes, opt-out of beta/opt back in for beta.
Confirm where to have it/placed/installed…

Once you have the values, you can make the change in order to use SteamVR for Virtual Desktop.

ok.

But to be honest you should play MSFS with the Link and use the Oculus runtime. I did try playing via SteamVR runtime (not even wirelessly) and it was a stutter fest with almost 10FPS less than with Oculus.
I currently run between 180-217 fps in my games so I’m really hoping it doesn’t kill it too much. So do you really think buying the link cable is better? I’ve been doing lots of reading and get mixed measages about both.

When I ask if the Oculus software is installed I meant the one on your Computer. I added the link to the install above. But if you have the values now in Regedit, you should be good.

MSFS is a beast but give it a try with Virtual Desktop and see what suits you.

There is no need to buy the official expensive cable in order to use the Link, I have this one and it works flawlessly (USB-A to USB-C):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087RB14HF/

Note: If you ever need to switch back OpenXR to the Oculus Runtime, the easiest way is to opt-out of Beta and opt-in again.
Or you can go back in Regedit and change the ActiveRuntime value to:
[Oculus installation folder]\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json

When I ask if the Oculus software is installed I meant the one on your Computer. I added the link to the install above. But if you have the values now in Regedit, you should be good.

Just installed it, thank you for explaning it

MSFS is a beast but give it a try with Virtual Desktop and see what suits you.

There is no need to buy the official expensive cable in order to use the Link, I have this one and it works flawlessly (USB-A to USB-C):

For that price, I went ahead and bought it. Thank you. It will arrive April 8th.

Note: If you ever need to switch back OpenXR to the Oculus Runtime, the easiest way is to opt-out of Beta and opt-in again.
Or you can go back in Regedit and change the ActiveRuntime value to:
[Oculus installation folder]\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json

Is there a special order I should be firing up everything? Suggestions?

Well, I’m certainly getting closer. I installed SteamVR…changed the path…now it says " No headset is detected" (when I attempt to switch to VR mode in MSFS2020 using CTRL Tab)

I might have launched things in the wrong order or I don’t know where the headset needs to be installed.

Hi Flobud,

Any suggestions on where to go from my last post?

Ok, still playing around with it. Now i get the following error.

"The initialization of the VR failed.

Please check that OpenXR is installed on your computer and your headset can use it."

So, I opened and ran OpenXR, got it going and tried it again.

No Headeset can be found.

I noticed that after running OpenXR, it changes the path in the registry to openXR, so i changed it again to the steam one and boom, back to Initialization of the VR failed. I’m going in circles…help.

Hmmm sorry but I’ve never seen this message before.
So Oculus is installed, Open XR is installed, it points to the SteamVR runtime. :thinking:

Usually, you have nothing special to do, just start Virtual Desktop, go to SteamVR which should start in your headset and start your game, that’s all…

Flobud, thank you again for taking the time to help me out.

Oculus is installed, yes…Open XR is installed…yes…it points to the steamVR, yes…

This is what I needed to know…the steps…

1. I started Virtual Desktop
  2. I started SteamVR
  3. I put the headset on and turn on the headset…I’m now in VR mode standing in a room that says welcome.
  4. I took the headset off to see my desktop to start MSFS2020.
  5. I put the headset back on and I now see the Virtual Desktop. VR has jumped out. to Virtual Desktop.

What am I missing at this point?

Hi
Just load you flight and hit fly.
Ctr and tab
You should now be in VR

I had a bit of trouble as well and this is how I do it after messing around for a bit…

I should note that I tried the OpenXR route but am using SteamVR due to the Headset not found issue.

Start Virtual Desktop on desktop

Start Steam VR beta

Start Virtual Desktop in headset (You may have to select the Reset Headset option that comes up in the Steam VR window on desktop)

You should be viewing your desktop from your headset at this point, no need to remove headset.

Launch MSFS from your desktop link or start menu (I have not tried launching from Steam directly but should work).

Now you should see the loading screen through your headset

Pick your flight while still in 2d mode.

Click Fly.

Once you’re in the cockpit, hit ctrl-tab to switch to VR or hit esc and go to options - VR settings and Switch to VR from there.

If it comes up stereo image or not in VR, Click the menu button on your left controller to bring up the Virtual Desktop options in your headset. There should be an option for “Switch to VR” on the left hand side.

You should be all set

*If you never see the loading screen or MSFS through your headset, close MSFS from desktop and relaunch from your desktop through your headset… if that makes any sense lol

When I said I’m using SteamVR, I was referring to the OpenXR runtime setting:

1 Like

I think my main issues were:

1. Making sure I was viewing my desktop through my headset and launching MSFS from there. If you’re in the room that says welcome, you are doing something wrong… at least for me.
  2. Waiting until I was in the cockpit before hitting ctrl-tab.
  3. Using the left Oculus controller to bring up the VD menu in headset and clicking on “Switch to VR”. Not sure why you have to “Switch to VR” in 2 apps but this is how it works for me.