[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: French Riviera

Pictured above: Monaco

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @Jummivana, @SeedyL3205, @Pieter1982NL, and @zkdos.

When: Friday, August 27 @ 1900Z for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

This week, we’ll be exploring the picturesque French Riviera. Take-off is from Marseille, France’s second-largest city, then we’ll fly eastbound along the Mediterranean coast and just barely cross over the Italian border for a full-stop landing at Albenga. En route, we’ll fly over beautiful Cannes, Nice, and Monaco.

Flight plan: LFML → LFTZ (Touch & Go) → LFMN (Touch & Go) → LIMG

Pilots on the PC platform can download the .pln file for this flight here:
Community_Fly-In_2021-08-27_French_Riviera.pln (2.3 KB)

For Xbox pilots, I will spend the first few minutes of the stream quickly explaining how you can create your own flight plan using the World Map. Alternatively, you can simply fly along with the group without using a pre-defined flight plan.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cessna 172, X Cub, Pipistrel Virus, VL-3, or similar.

We will be starting at LFML. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Day time

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

4 Likes

Went on a trip to Côte d’Azur a few years ago and it was lovely. I haven’t checked it out in the simulator yet due to performance issues around big cities previously, so this will be a great opportunity!

2 Likes

See you all Friday again

4 Likes

Same same… Travelling off-season to Nice and Antibes was one of the best choices we did, just a few months before Corona kicked off…

Now with LFMN performance issues not being so drastic, flying there is big fun. Especially the VOR DME approach for 22L/R is quite scenic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, what an incredible fly-in! This flight plan had it all, some gorgeous cities, coastlines and airports (handcrafted LFMN looked great indeed), with some really nice mountains on our last leg as well. I’ve been to all these cities, and they looked just as amazing from the air. Thank you to the hosts, guests and everyone that joined!

5 Likes

Thanks all for another Friday of fun flying, have a great weekend everyone and see you all next week.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Cool livery knight4841! Thanks for another great fly in guys.

6 Likes

Fun flight tonight, thanks everybody

6 Likes

Thanks for the fun flight! :grinning:

6 Likes

Hey, a question/suggestion for the community organisers here. Would it be possible to push for you to always be present/persistent in game if you’re the organiser? By that I mean, when there’s a lot of people on the server you’re fading in and out, and whilst it’s nice to just go for a flight, and chat to people on the discord while listening to the stream (can’t watch it as I’m in VR), I think it would be nice for people to feel like they were more of a part of it. Maybe some sort of sign up for those that want to, and then we could create groups where we can see each other in the flight at all times… and for the community leads to always be visible. Also, could we get the audio into Discord somehow? I’ve noticed that some of the people on discord aren’t watching the stream and we kind of have to relay what’s going on sometimes… It’s not a big issue at all, but I think it would help if people felt like they were more involved with it. Otherwise I’m tempted to just download the pln and go fly it at any time.

1 Like

Very good point. ATM the simulator offers no tools to properly highlight a certain user while in flight, but I hope it’s something that can be added into the future, which would greatly help in the many group flights organized in the forums.

For the discord, there is the possibility of using a bot to broadcast the twitch in the voice chat, but could have the potential to impede on conversations. I assume people could mute off the bot if they don’t want to hear the stream. In the end, it’s the user’s choice.

Thank you to the CMs for inviting me once again in these fun flights, always a blast!

2 Likes

Agreed, it would be really helpful if the hosts were always visible but sadly it’s not possible as in-game they are not represented any differently from other players.

It is said that the Reno Air Races pack will significantly improve the multiplayer netcode, which should help with this matter if it’s ported into the standard multiplayer mode as well.

1 Like

Is there going to be a recording for this flight put up? I cant see a VOD on the twitch channel.

The VOD is there (they are uploaded automatically on Twitch), it’s just using the wrong title. Seems to be a leftover from the flight lesson before, I guess the title was changed after the stream began.

I would like that too. I didn’t have the bandwidth to stream the Twitch video, I’m sure some audio-only would have helped to understand what you guys were doing !

If you are on Chrome, you can use this extension for an alternate player which allows you to select an audio-only stream. Less bandwidth than the 160p video, and full-quality audio.

Alternate Player for Twitch.tv - Chrome Web Store.

It was suggested by Coppersens a while back and it is incredible! Without it I couldn’t listen to the stream and fly at the same time.

2 Likes

The part of the flight where there was a race track was that an add-on scenery because looked more plain (basic looking) for me or the setting was set very high to see race tack?

Hi @IcemanAMD,

We only used the stock scenery from Asobo during the stream yesterday, not any 3rd Party addons. Be sure to download all the free world updates from the Marketplace for the full Microsoft Flight Simulator experience. Specifically, yesterday’s flight featured World Update IV: France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg.

1 Like