[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Namibia Day

![A mystery in the world’s oldest desert - BBC Travel - Google Chrome 2022-08-24 1_14_24

Flying over the sandy dunes of the Namib Desert in Microsoft Flight Simulator

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205

When: Friday, August 26 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2022-08-26T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

Friday, August 26 is Namibia Day (also known as Heroes’ Day within Namibia), the national holiday for this southwest African nation. To commemorate the event, this week’s community fly-in will see us fly over the majestic Namib Desert, a uniquely beautiful part of the world where windswept dunes meet the Atlantic coastline.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
Community Fly-In Friday 2022-08-26 Namib Desert.PLN (2.5 KB)

We will be starting at FYWB. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: CubCrafters X or NX Cub, Cessna 172, Pipistrel Virus, Flight Design CTSL, Pilatus PC-6 Porter, or any other plane of your choice with a cruise speed of about 120 knots

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

5 Likes

Can these Please be at Better times…6pm est? 6:30?

Hello @CupOJello,

Please be mindful that we have a huge audience of players from all over the world, not just the United States and Canada. There is no single time that will work for everyone. Accordingly, we schedule our Community Fly-In Friday events to be at a time that is accessible for the greatest number of players. We carefully chose 1900Z because it fits the following criteria:

1. Friday evening for players in most of Europe
  2. Friday afternoon for players in North and South America
  3. Saturday morning for players in Aus/NZ and East Asia.

Unfortunately, there are some parts of the world where 1900Z is in the middle of the night (such as Central Asia), but this is the best possible time we could have picked for our global playerbase.

If we hosted this event at your suggested time of 6pm EST, that’s midnight for players in France, Germany, Norway, Sweden, and many other European countries. That’s obviously too late a start time for them.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

2 Likes

Your forgetting several time zones,

PST users cannot attend a fly in due to the time…

We have many players from the Pacific time zone who join us for the Community Fly-In each and every week.

Time is good in my opinion. Server? That’s a different story. I get we want people from all over the world, but the SE Asia server (240ms) is very slow at times vs say the US East (40ms). I realize those are my times and not indicative of worldwide numbers. I guess using the Asia server means everyone is pretty laggy so it all works out I suppose.

Wait - can this all be delayed a few minutes until I finish my dinner. That would be great.

I’ll be free to fly at 1910 Zulu time.

Hope that doesn’t sound too selfish.

Thanks
PoshLuigi

P.S Yes it’s Mopane worms and Zambezi Bream.

1 Like

Had to miss this due to Skool

Good times (though all of us in this group were on SU10b, we couldn’t see @SeedyL3205 or FactualGull).

3 Likes

Great fly-in Friday! The views were unbeatable!

I am still cracking up about the Dad Joke about Ham, and then HamDad2116 flies by :joy:

1 Like