[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Oshkosh

Some of the thousands of planes and pilots who gather at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh every year

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, and @Pieter2427

When: Friday, July 22 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2022-07-22T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

EAA AirVenture – the world’s largest air show, fly-in, and gathering of pilots – runs from July 25-31, and several members of the Microsoft Flight Simulator team will be there in-person! To recognize this colossal celebration of aviation, our Community Fly-In Friday will see us travel virtually to Oshkosh, Wisconson (KOSH), which for one week every year becomes the busiest airspace in the entire world.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
Community Fly-In Friday 2022-07-22 Oshkosh.PLN (2.6 KB)

We will be starting at KSBN. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

There is an optional freeware scenery enhancement for KOSH available on flightsim.to here. Installing this addon is not required to participate in Friday’s Fly-In.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: CubCrafters X or NX Cub, Cessna 172, Pipistrel Virus, Flight Design CTSL, Pilatus PC-6 Porter, or any other plane of your choice with a cruise speed of about 120 knots

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

6 Likes

What is the “slew” and can I use it on Xbox?

2 Likes

Thank you @SeedyL3205, @Pieter2427, and @Jummivana for putting on this-I had a lot of fun :slight_smile: Look forward to another one on August 5th!

2 Likes

I am sure it was fun for you all. I flew into OSH using MSFS, AIG, PSXT, and Real Traffic and as so many small airplanes use ADS-B now, I was able to fly in with other real airplanes using the airventure NOTAM, now called NOTICE since they had to take out the word "M (man).

Please tell me this is happening again this year, it was so much fun last year.

Seems so! Practice runs tonight.
Times are showing as GMT+1 for me. That would be 5pm EST?

Not the same, that is not the big official community fly like we did last year. Hopefully @SeedyL3205 can shed some light if there will be one

Ah!
Fair enough. I did the Forder one last year, and that was great fun too.

1 Like

Any info [MOD EDIT: please do not tag the Community Managers] about if this is also happening this year ?

Ok so we cant mention the people that organised this, but can we get info if this event is done again ?

I really hope the team will shed some light on this if we are getting an event again like last year. This was the most fun event of the year so we will really miss it if this is not done again. I mean we did one in 2021 and in 2022 even a small one during beta in 2020. Would be missing it if not done this year.

They talked about it on their fly-in today.

What did they say ?

They are doing a fly-in there next week I believe. I wasn’t paying at lot of attn at the time, but I DID hear it mentioned. It would make sense since it’s running the 25th to 31st. Look for a post about it Wednesday. That’s usually with the Friday fly-in details are posted.

1 Like