[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-In Friday: Year of the Tiger!

Flying over Lujiazui (Shanghai’s Financial District) in Microsoft Flight Simulator

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter1982NL, and @simtom2

When: Friday, January 28 @ 2000Z for two hours.
2022-01-28T20:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

Get your fireworks and lucky red envelopes ready, because February 1 is the Lunar New Year! In recognition of the upcoming Year of the Tiger, we will be flying in China this week with a beautiful flight ending in Shanghai, home to one of the most spectacular skylines in the world. To all our players who celebrate the Lunar New Year, the team at Microsoft Flight Simulator wishes you happiness and prosperity in the upcoming year! :fireworks: :red_gift_envelope:

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
Community Fly-In Friday 2022-01-28 Year of the Tiger Flight to Shanghai.PLN (3.7 KB)

We will be starting at Z08T. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: to celebrate the Year of the Tiger, we suggest using the Pilatus PC-6 Porter with the default tiger stripe livery. If you prefer a different plane, anything with a cruise speed of about 115-120 knots is suitable for this flight.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

9 Likes

Really looking forward to this. Is there anyway you could share a flight plan screenshot for us Xbox users?

2 Likes

I’m new to this. Please advise where to put the flight plan file to load it up.

Also, could you please create a calendar entry for the event so there’s no ambiguity for the time.
For me, one time is appearing to be 10 p.m. and another to be 8 p.m.!

I am in CET.

Fun fact: Z08T airport is no longer exists for a long time in real life

2 Likes

Hello @ZILLNIAZI17,

You can save the .pln file to any convenient location on your computer that you can remember (Desktop, Downloads, it really doesn’t matter). To load it, press the spacebar when at the World Map in Microsoft Flight Simulator, then browse to the location where you saved the .pln and select it.

There already is a calendar event created for this flight. The reason you might be seeing two different times is because one is listed in UTC (“Zulu time”, used commonly in aviation) and one is automatically converted to your local time zone.

Here you are:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the time you took to explain me all of this.

I certainly know how to use the Load / Save file option. So I’ll load the flight plan file through there.

I so understand the Zulu time. However, it’s still showing me time with two hours apart : 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.! I’ll have to work it out somehow which one would be it.

Never have been a part of a community fly in before. This would be the first time. Hence, quizzical and excited.

Thanks once again.

Where can I find the calendar entry?

What I meant was that I could click on the calendar entry and that would save into my phone’s calendar and/or Google Calendar and/or Microsoft Outlook Calendar.

Where are you seeing different times? It should show the time in Zulu (UTC) and your own local time zone as set by your computer and forum account. For example, here is what I see:

I live in the Mountain Time Zone (UTC-7) of North America, so 2000Z (8pm UTC) is 1pm for my local time.

Looking forward to this!

Bringing out the Otter, see you on the tarmac!

true, as a chinese, I have to say We need to have a China update

2 Likes

We are switching it up last minute - Please join the Southeast Asia server.

Thanks!

Totally agree. Not even the Great Wall is a landmark! Not to mention so many more historic and religious landmarks.