[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-In Friday: Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, and Reno

El Capitan from forum user @oldradar

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Pieter1982NL, @simtom2, and @FactualGull1036

When: Friday, November 5 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2021-11-05T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

Enjoy this scenic flight through the beautiful Yosemite Valley, over Lake Tahoe, and arriving at Reno-Stead Airport, site of the famous Reno Air Races that are coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator on November 18:
Community Fly-in 2021-Nov-05 Yosemite to Reno.PLN (8.0 KB)

For Xbox pilots, I will spend the first few minutes of the stream quickly explaining how you can create your own flight plan using the World Map. Alternatively, you can simply fly along with the group without using a pre-defined flight plan.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cessna 172, XCub, Pipistrel Virus, or similar.

We will be starting at KMMH. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Day time

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

6 Likes

id love to join this but every plane I try at Yosmite wont take off or climb. take off full power and flaps and i still run out of runway before I reach rotation speed. I’m not new to fs but I cant get a bird in the sky from this airport it must be the altitude. so I’m afraid sadly I wont be able to join you.

I haven’t tried it myself in the sim or IRL, but you would typically want to lean the engine for max RPM before takeoff from that elevation. And keep in mind that even common temperature/pressure/dew point combinations could easily result in a density altitude a few thousand feet higher, potentially leaving very little performance margin in low-powered planes.

Also check the default payload/fuel that the sim starts you with.

1 Like

Is it possible to join with the Carenado C182? First time I try to join an event like this, so sorry if that’s a noob question…

You can fly with any plane you like, but we recommend choosing an aircraft that can cruise at around 110-120 knots ground speed. That way you won’t get too far ahead or behind of the group.

1 Like

Ok thnx, I was wondering if using 3d party planes would be an issue. Should have been more specific about that.

Thanks for the super scenic flight plan guys. Could only make out about 50% of of the chat due to echos, classic that it was fixed in the last 5 minutes :laughing:

4 Likes

Fantastic trip! A lot! :yum:

My screenshots :point_down:

3 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks to all!! Great places and nice fly!

3 Likes

I did manage to join the the flight in a cub. that and the extra both took off fine. really enjoyed the flight. I was a bit slower than the pack though. I need to sort things so I can hear the chat as I couldn’t hear anything from the other pilots and my mike on the quest 2 has stopped working, something else I need to resolve. thanks for the reply.

Can we do another day of another trip?

Every friday there is a different community fly-in

I would love to fly in this event. I’m a total beginner though. Is it friendly enough for complete beginners? I’ve just been flying the C152 so far and have been trying to get used to the controller/keyboard/HOTAS.

Hi @Evoke777,

Yes, these events are open to everyone regardless of experience or skill level. They’re relaxed, friendly, and chill group flights with the community. For this particular event, the Cessna 152 is a touch too slow, so you’ll probably need to fly a moderately faster plane. I suggest giving the Cessna 172 a try; it’s the slightly larger, slightly faster cousin of the C152 and should feel very familiar to you.

1 Like