Official Discussion: Gamescom Announcements

We just announced several updates coming soon including:

• World Update 6
  • Local Legend I: Junkers JU-52
  • Volocopter
  • Reno Air Race expansion

Read more about it here.

We are excited to share more details on the Reno Air Racing update during our next Dev Q&A on September 8th, mainly to talk about how our work on this project has led to updates coming on the flight model and multiplayer. Improved formation flying capabilities and more coming!

Please use this thread for discussion, thank you.

Level of interest in the new Reno Air Race update. 1 being no interest and 10 being highest interest.

0 voters

Level of interest in flying the Junkers 52. 1 being no interest and 10 being highest interest.

0 voters

Level of interest in flying the Volocopter. 1 being no interest and 10 being highest interest.

0 voters

39 Likes

Just announced at Xbox Gamescom. Launching this fall. Competitive multiplayer option.

3 Likes

Looks like you’ll be able to go the route you like, either sim or game.

3 Likes

The volocopter is cool, shame it obviously won’t be free.

The Junkers 52 is all right and the Reno Air Race doesn’t interest me much.

1 Like

For me personally, the Junkers 52 will be the most interesting part of the update. The RaRa will be interesting to see how competitive flying will evolve in the sim.

14 Likes

The Volocopter is fascinating! Note in the video, how the hand-controller acts very much like the desktop joysticks many of us have - a twist control for what would be anti-torque on a traditional helicopter, the hat switch provides throttle and potentially collective pitch, and the stick handle movement itself provides cyclic pitch. Note how many times he takes hands completely off and the ship stays stable. Should be interesting when it arrives:

10 Likes

Man you guys really know just the right things to say :smiley:

Kinda hints towards helicopters being a thing sooner than previously thought?

2 Likes

Overall, I think it’s great news . More " stuff " for the sim . Will be interested in both new aircraft , and will check out the air races .

( P.s I think the air race release is great news , especially for console players , seeing as they have limited options in this kind of area ( ie no OnAir , Pilots Life, etc etc ) .

3 Likes

Volocopter is a compromise I think - VTOL capability but with a less finicky fight model (and potentially an easier entry point for new flyers in terms of handling) than a traditional helicopter. And that’s fine. I like the idea of flying an eVTOL - that could be a fun city hopper and definitely for touring PG areas.

9 Likes

Yeah it did look a bit ‘on rails’ in the trailer, so wel’ll have to see

Watching this forum is like riding roller coaster, when the frustration reaches certain level, they will announce something exciting and make you forgive all the bugs these update have created.

4 Likes

The Junker looks amazing. Curious to how the multiplayer racing will work. Will it have timings and leaderboards?

It’s on the rails because in real life, it’s also on the rails. That’s 18 fixed pitch propellers (you’ll see more videos now that it’s been to EAA in the US this year), so it’s definitely a good choice for new flyers who typically get frustrated balancing cyclic, collective and pedals all at the same time. Watch the videos, the pilot literally can control this with one hand, no pedals. And it’s extremely stable.

7 Likes

Will give it a watch, sounds awesome!

This is the EAA close-up video of the autonomous version of the Volocopter:

3 Likes

Literally on rails, yeah. Freaky looking actually.

Er, why not both?

Activity led content doesn’t harm simulation and adds ‘more things to do’.

Sounds like good news to me. :blush:

18 Likes

Don’t have too many details on this yet, but we do plan on answering some questions about it during the Dev Q&A!

The developers have been chatting with Reno air pilots for the past many, many months during development in order to more accurately simulate the specific maneuvers and techniques used in these races.

11 Likes