Official Discussion: May 26th, 2022 Dev Update

Check out the latest Development Update here:

Friday, May 27th update: The Marketplace update has been added to the Development Update.

Please use this thread for feedback and discussion. Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m disappointed to see that the feedback snapshot was not included in this week’s development update. It was scheduled to come out last week but didn’t. My hope was that it would be included this week to make up for last week.

I appreciated the days when the feedback snapshot was updated weekly, instead of bi-weekly, and when they had a Release column. Even if an item said “2022” instead of giving a specific sim update, at least I had an idea of the target. In a recent Developer Q&A (I think April’s) I believe it was Jörg who said that the team meets about the feedback snapshot all the time. If they do, it makes me wonder why the frequency has been halved and a column removed. I feel like a lot of transparency has been lost in this new format, and that saddens me.

19 Likes

Actually this is the third week without a Feedback Snapshot update, and in the last two blog posts it was completely absent without any explanation. It would be nice if we got an official statement on how often we can expect it to be updated from now on.

It didn’t feel very useful to me. The release dates just kept shifting all the time, many of the releases stating a specific update have been flat-out wrong (like the tree LOD improvements for Sim Update 4 and past event playlist for Sim Update 7) or just kept getting postponed (like the approach flyback bug and vegetation draw distance slider), and several things slated for 2021 just got bumped to 2022 when the year was coming to a close. It was creating too many false expectations.

However I think it would be a good idea to simply let us know whether the completion of a bug fix or request is something we can expect in the next few updates (especially if it has been already solved for the next one), or if it is something for the longer term.

1 Like

Methinks the Xbox stability issues must have upended their whole timeline and Asobo is/was in crisis mode over it. No other good explanation for why we haven’t been getting updated feedback snapshots or a new timeline for releases.

6 Likes

They have switched to a bi-weekly schedule. The feedback snapshot schedule is documented here and you can see that it’s now bi-weekly:

1 Like

Hi @N316TS,

Between the release of the 1.25.12.0 patch for Xbox players on Saturday and the release of the Top Gun: Maverick DLC yesterday, the team has been extra busy the past several days and was not able to update the Feedback Snapshot in time for today’s Development Blog. I agree that it’s unfortunate we haven’t had an updated snapshot for two Dev Blogs in a row, but it’s certainly not our intention to keep this information hidden or to purposely reduce the frequency of its publication.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

16 Likes

Definitely don’t think it’s an intentional sleight, and I’m sorry if I came across that way. But I really did appreciate the times when it was released weekly and with the Release column intact. I feel like something has been lost with this new format.

5 Likes

Thanks, this is something I hadn’t noticed. It doesn’t help that the roadmap slide is not posted in every update anymore, making it more convenient to find the most recent one.

1 Like

Everything has felt sloppy and slapdash lately from lack of promotion of the world update to marketplace updates missing their weekly mark.

6 Likes

I think we just have to respect that everybody is working like 12 hrs a day to fix that nasty xbox bug. Someone messed up and everybody is paying the price now. Not a fun time, I think, to be honest.
Let’s support them by not getting in too hard at the moment, and give them some slack to sort things out.

7 Likes

Well, to be fair, there are a number of announcements that no one can say anything about until June 12th. I expect that some of the development snapshot involves some of those items that can’t be mentioned as yet.

What is coming in the announcement is what is the June World Update, what is the June Local Legend, what is the June surprise. But they are holding onto that information until the XBox/Bethesda event.

1 Like

Unless I misunderstood what was said I think the team have completely missed the point of the menu system rendering utilisation. I think the complaint was the current menu system requires 100% gpu load to render 4 boxes. Somehow this seems to have been interpreted into a desire to have a low power mode that reduces FPS by a factor of 4.

That may well help the menu system, true but it sounds like it will be across the hole platform and who wants 4x less FPS in game. All I think the request was of why does the menu create such a load?

Unless I’ve missed the conversation totally.

5 Likes

As for developing the in game A320. The state of all the airlines was a major disappointment for me personally at launch. Me, on PC I think the airliners are now a lost cause thanks to the recent excellent third party launches.

This leave a sour taste as we all purchased the airlines and in my opinion they were not fit for purpose. However I’ve paid up to fenix and I’m very grateful to FBW for all their great work.

The bigger issue is Xbox. If they don’t have access to third party airliners such as the two Airbus planes they are stuck with the original ones. And that’s not good at all in my opinion. But as I dont have Xbox, I would sooner fix other stuff. Bet I lose though.

2 Likes

Whilst I found some aspects of the Q&A disappointing, I definitely noticed a shift in the general mood from Jorg so I think the pressure is real. As he said, this is supposed to be a hobby so I don’t want anyone getting stressed over it all so I am indeed willing to cut some slack.

5 Likes

We know why. Because the hangar and aircraft is being rendered at full speed behind the menu. I find that completely unnecessary and wasteful of energy and heat. Okay for the winter, but not for the summer.

2 Likes

I documented my experiences of it here. To my mind this is an easy fix as they already have the code in place to do it.

1 Like

Lack of promotion of world update? What do you mean? I feel like they’ve marketed Italy a ton.

1 Like

Re: this week’s Q&A, I noticed the general mood of the customers/chat has definitely changed against MS/Asobo. Against is probably not the right word, but you know what I mean. I think everyone is starting to get frustrated with the lack of progress (perceived or real) with bugs and/or wishlist items from September 2020.

I did appreciate Jorg saying to the chat “we need a balance – we can’t keep asking Asobo for new things while also fixing things that haven’t been addressed yet.” I hope they stick with that sentiment because, no offense to anyone, I could care less about another local legend or another GA plane. I want performance better, DLSS implemented, DX12 optimized, CTDs fixed, weather radar implemented, working AI and ATC, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

14 Likes

True, to a point, but we all did pay for a working product and when people continue to get CTDs and performance tanks after a 2 hour flight, etc. – those things get frustrating, especially when it seems there’s a new world update or a new GA plane they’ve made every month now.