Official Discussion: September 2nd, 2021 Development Update

@CasualClick
Thank you for sharing this information, it is much appreciated!

If I may suggest something:

I know what the “Offscreen Terrain pre-caching” new setting is intended for, and the explanation for ULTRA is great. However:

• Does it mean it is just the “Terrain” which is cached at “full quality”?

• In this case what is “Terrain”?
    → are these ground textures only? Mesh? Both?
    → does this affect also Buildings? Trees? Photogrametry?
    → if ground textures only, does it mean full quality regardless of distance?
    → if ground textures, does it also mean regardless of “Terrain LOD” setting too?
    → if mesh only (or as well), does it mean full quality regardless of distance too?
    → if mesh, does it also mean regardless of “Vector Data” setting too?

• And what means “full quality” ?
    → Does it mean regardless of “Terrain LOD”?
    → Does it mean regardless of “Vector Data”?

• And how is this settings supposed to address the issue which is first and foremost late-reloading and redrawing of the surroundings when turning the head?
    → Does it mean it is always 360 degrees pre-cached, but the settings defines only the “quality”? the “distance”?
    → or will WU6 also provide the requested setting (not this one) which increases or decrease the lateral angle culling instead?
    → which will therefore also kill 2 birds with one stone for Pimax users for example?

etc…

I can’t stress enough it is very important these are clearly detailed and explained so that end users can know what to look for, what to expect, and what to measure and compare for their own hardware.

In addition I’ve raised this question because “Vector Data” setting explanation and its possible setting values are showing something which seems illogical to me, which means I can’t make sense of what it is supposed to do nor what it is doing in practice. It is all detailed (and more) here:

Could you please explain what some graphics settings are really doing? - Community / Dev Q&A: In Review - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

[update]
Just to let you know @Jummivana has now answered most of these questions here:

This is still not answering it all but since there is a dedicated topic about this, I’ll further my questions over there!

14 Likes