[OFFICIAL] Weekly Dev Update Screenshot Challenge: 40 Years of MSFS

It’s time for another screenshot challenge! The idea is to collectively explore different parts of the world together - areas that may be very familiar to you or perhaps a new place you have never flown before. Feel free to find others to fly with to capture the challenge, or go solo!

Last week’s winner from Microsoft Fright Simulator: @WinterBand54341

This Week’s Challenge

40 Years of MSFS - In only 8 days from this post being made, we will be releasing the Microsoft Flight Simulator 40th Anniversary Edition update. While we count the days ahead, we’re also going to turn our eyes back to the past!

To this purpose, we’re opening up screenshot challenge submissions this week to all previous Microsoft Flight Simulator titles.

This week’s theme is open-ended - entries this week need simply be a celebration of 40 years of flight simming with MSFS. This can be anything from screenshots showing us what you love about the series, to ones that show us just how far we have come.

If you have any screenshot challenge ideas for the future, send @Jummivana a DM!

Rules

1. Any time of day
  2. Any type of weather
  3. Code of Conduct appropriate liveries
  4. Default aircraft and scenery, or aircraft and scenery from the MSFS Marketplace
  5. Up to 10 entries (screenshots) allowed

The rest is fair game! Use your creativity! We will pick the top 11 shots. 1 will be featured as the main photo of the next dev update and the other 10 will be featured in the community section.

You may also add a watermark or username to your image if you wish.

How To Submit Your Screenshot

Just post them below here in this thread, or if you’re on Twitter you can tweet your photo with the #MSFSchallenge hashtag!

Note: This thread is for screenshot submissions only. Unless you have a particular question about the challenge, please do not engage in casual conversation here. Thank you!

2 Likes

18 Likes

FS9 a.k.a. FS2004
A free Boeing 777-300ER mod made by Project OpenSky.
I took this screenshot because I saw aurora in game.
This screenshot was taken in the year of 2006.

3 Likes

Wind Farm at Mojave, CA at night.

1 Like

2 Likes

To celebrate 40 years of flight simming, here are 40-ish years of flight development:

1909 Bleriot XI

1916 Nieuport 17

1919 Junkers F 13

1925 Dornier Do J Wal N25

1927 Fokker F.VIIb-3m

1932 Gee Bee R-2

1932 or in case of D-AQUI 1936 Junkers Ju-52/3m

1943 Supermarine Spitfire LF.IXc G-IRTY

1946 Douglas DC-6B

1954 (Prototype) Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

5 Likes

“Looking back at our history” - Meigs Field, SubLOGIC Flight Simulator II for Atari

5 Likes

My first civil sim was Microsoft flight simulator 95

3 Likes

From FS4 to MSFS - This has shaped my entire aviation career…
It all started for me at Meigs Field…

A bit of a blend of then, and now…

I still have FS4 on my machine, running the original files (copied from medium to medium over the decades) via DosBox.

I’ve had some fun with these creations!

And some comparison pics:

And finally something a little bit fun:

I will be releasing it at the same time as the anniversary update!

19 Likes

Venire, videre, vicere

Also getting lost is the best way of sightseeing
Tlod 400
Olod 10 off yes
Buildings low
Trees low
Grass and Bushes off
Train your sim by flying over a couple times of pg
Not bad i think for a 8 gb card (gigabyte gaming 3060 ti)
Can’t wait for helicopters to come for they fly slower

Asobo, Microsoft and partners, and flying community congratulations with 40th anniversary

1 Like

Now this is a challenge I happily accept! Being a digital pilot since the old Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.1 days I have spend many hours in the skies. However I sadly couldn’t find any pictures prior to 2006:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 9:

Flight Simulator X:

5 Likes

A great idea to allow screenshots from older MSFS versions. I started with FS5.1 in 1996 when I was 12 years old and had every version since then. Unfortunaltely most pictures were lost as creating back-ups wasn’t a priority for me back then and the PCs changed frequently. However, I still found a few screenshots from FS98.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 98

Believe it or not, but this DC-3 was my very first payware addon. I paid the equivalent of $35 in today’s money for it. And even while it was very rudimentary (e.g. no animations at all) I had lots of fun with it. Years later I talked to the developer and he told me he had sold 100000 copies of this DC-3. Impressive.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004

Microsoft Flight Simulator X

I really can’t wait for the 40th years anniversary edition!

5 Likes

FSX v. FS2020

2 Likes

Good day everyone!
My first Microsoft Flight Simulator experience was back in the late 80s. PC was an IBM PCjr with 64K RAM and a 640x200 four color RGB display. Things have certainly come along way…

3 Likes

As real as it gets…

1 Like

2 Likes

Fall storms over the Sedona and the Verde Valley in Arizona.

2 Likes

I specifically use this picture since it was the first time I ever used a Flight Simulator. Bad idea starting out with a CRJ700!

3 Likes