Offscreen Terrain Pre-Caching Not Available in VR

also have to say that this is very disappointing! I only fly VR. Far too little love for VR. Somehow I’m speechless …

3 Likes

Ok friends…just tried the ideas of Gordonreig and acutally numbernumber481.

I have changed the setting in the config data.The name is cfgdata.

And I can say…I am “just” 2/3 disappointed. The growing trees and buildings disappeared. And my memories are still free. I have 32 GB Ram and 24 VRAM.

Therefore, there are still 2 points. The menu for setting precache is not available…so why?

And the popping up of (parts of) the mountains or coasts is still around.

But really…after changing the precache…I can say “wow” already.

Thank you to the 2 colleagues who mentioned this solution.

But I have to repeat…still disappointed.

My friends are going to visit me next weekend and I wanted to show the VR flight. So…

If you have any idea, I would be glad to read it.

And last but not least…I hope, the next successful and complete patch comes out soon and it will be not too late after 7th September 2021.

Regards and thx again

Dirk

Hi Siedo, Is that the UserCfg.opt file? usually it can be found in:
C:\Users\blahblah\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator =Steam Version
C:\Users\blahblah\AppData\Local\Microsoft Flight Simulator = MSstore version

1 Like

I have used this path

C:\Users<Username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

I guess it’s better to use this one. In case you move your data of MSFS to another drive.

But usercfg.opt is correct. :slight_smile:

Edit: I have the disc version.

1 Like

Your right… the pre-caching helps a lot with fluidity of panning your head around but it does not solve the LOD issue.

If that screenshot is from your file, only thing I can suggest is cranking up the LOD sliders. They are 1.0 (%100 in the sim) in that screenshot. Try %200 (sliders maxed in sim). If you have 24GB VRAM, that means you have a 3090…as do I. You can go farther than 2.0 by editing the “Terrain” and “ObjectsLoD” values directly in the config file. I also have a 3090 but I start to see serious performance loss past %200

@Jummivana this needs Devs attention please.

1 Like

You are right as well. 200 is no problem. I didn’t try more by changing the usercfg. But even if I slender to 200, this lod issue is still around.

I really hope they solve it soon. 2 D is working already. I have tried it at San Fransico, the mountains beside the golden gate bridge. 2 D with in ultra…no problem…no lod. Just VR…

I also changed terrain data to ultra…and minimum…no change.

But actually…this lod problem should not appear in any setup.

I guess, waiting for a patch is the answer. :-/

1 Like

With RTX 3070 and Valve Index i didn’t have any problems when rotating the head quickly before the patch. I have tested setting precaching option to quality=3 for VR anyway. I didn’t notice any difference in terms of performance actually nothing changed. But im now hitting VRAM limits, which seem to result in ground textures being exchanged constantly and its quite annoying. Later today will test disabling it completely again. As i didn’t have issues when turning the head before anyway, disabling might work better with me.

You have to set the quality of the setting to 3.

1 is set to Low 3 is Ultra. If you set it on the pc side you’ll see how to set the numbers for the VR side as well in the file

Be happy if you don’t have any problems.

When you are back in quality = 1 FOR VR, then fly between two cities or forests where you can watch far. And pls do this close to the ground. Then watch fast out of the left window and observe the trees or city-skylines…then move FAST to the right window and observe again. In my case, the trees and skylines (whole areas) rebuilt and rebuilt.

Maybe it is the gpu. It could depend on how far you can watch with your gpu board. (I hope you understand what I mean!?)

But back to the topic of this thread: do you have popping mountains or coastlines while flying around and watching them? Like for example the top of a mountain or hill suddenly change the shape? The others say, this is a lod problem. If no or if you have found the solution for removing this phenomena, please let me know.

I have noticed it in the alps just yesterday after setting precaching to quality=3 where i was hitting VRAM limit and observed other issues too. I can’t remember seeing it before the patch. Later today when i get to it ill try disabling precaching and see if its better.

What do the numbers on “Quality=” mean? Is 1 ultra or low?

Just set mine to Low. Exited MSFS and looked at the file. Quality=0

Correct numbers, therefore, are:

0=Low
1=Medium
2=High
3=Ultra

2 Likes

Just because they are in the config file doesn’t mean they are hooked up, which could explain the lack of UI. Be interesting to know if this worked.

It definitely works - no popping in VR with this set to “3”

1 Like

Ya…trees and buildings in the far are not growing anymore. I confirm.

…what about single parts of mountains. One mountain, the top changes the shape after a few seconds of flying.
Do you have this kind of problem in VR?

Fly to the golden gate bridge…right side…
I fly there…every 5 seconds a new shape. :-/

My specs
I9900 watercooled/outside cooling
Rtx 3090
32 gb ram
Msi z390
50 mbit line
Reverb g 2.
My mem is not at the limit. Maybe 40 percent.

My VR quality in the usercfg is on 3 all the time. (Where is 1 now on the pic

)

Yes - terrain morphing is still a thing unfortunately. Well known issue:

At least it’s logged

1 Like

Ok…it’s logged.

Thank you…I wait.

But cannot wait…

1 Like

tested again with disabled precaching (Enabled 0). I don’t have any problems with it. When moving my head everything is there. All the objects, terrain textures etc… nothing being culled away and then popping in again. This might be because i have quite fast internet line (2,5 Gbit/s) ? I can download tons of gigabytes in no time. Without precaching im having slightly better performance as im not so quickly coming short on VRAM. So i prefere switching it off for now.

However i still have that popping up mountains in the alps. When i come close to them they begin to “move” or “grow”, being flashed out to higher elevation resolution. I guess its not related to precaching.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.