OLED vs Q-LED in dark room

Trying to decide one of these, 65 inch.
Will be playing mostly in a dark or medium light living room.

I am aware the main differences in panel type and even the risk of OLED burn in.

This was actually one of the reasons that gets me leaning to Q-LED, but at the same time, I haven’t seen much feedback of this type of screen when in darker room and low screen brightness.

I’m not expecting it to be OLED level in these conditions, but if it’s acceptable enough ?
Any experiences ?
Thanks

I use an OLED and love it. Don’t know about QLED but I think you would be very happy with the quality of the OLED. I’ve played with the lights off at night and its stunning (the liquid blacks)

for me, someone that uses my TV as a computer monitor which is ON almost all day long, I ended up getting a 65" QLED 120hz - mostly because I didnt want the risk of burn-ins on OLEDS.
Samsung also has a burn in free warranty for 10years on most new qled models.

qd-oled:) better than both for games and movies. it’s brighter than oled and darker than qled. so in any way qd-oled. what i seen in youtube:)

OLED owns all in Movies, the blacks are darker than the plastic frame, it looks like you could throw something at the tv and it would go off into another dimension right through it. QLED is good, but seems like a 40% surcharge money-grab pricing it even, if not higher than OLED. And still not quite there on the infinate-angle viewing of an OLED. They look great, but it just seems like you’re getting hosed for it. I’d probably only really concern myself with burn in if you are playing racing games or strategy games that has that emblazoned gauge or menu ALL the time in a stationary state. MSFS, even when you are in cockpit for hours, you’re never really just leaving the ‘camera’ stuck in place on anything a dangerously long time. And if you fall asleep, xbox never really has anything that will just sit in place without a screensaver.

If you are not going for an ultra-expensive setup, and want a normal ‘nice’ TV that does it all well, the best buy is still the LG 65". I have a fancy pants Sony A90 in the living room, but only the kids game on that occasionally-and we’re talking the switch. I have my personal 55" that articulates for my racing/flying/desk FPS and couch gaming down there, and only have a Hisense U7G(because the sony $$ upstairs), but it’s just me sitting in front of it 2" from the yoke/wheel. Main thing that stinks with that cheap hotrod is the viewing angles are terrible, but for the one sitting in front it’s great. Wouldn’t use it for a ‘room’ tv though(unless absolute budget).

You’re not going to break a C1 with XBOX, and at Costco or on sale, it’s still the absolute hero for a GOOD $1200-$1500 ‘normal’ TV. Funny thing is the C1 just IS, and there’s like 30+ other TV’s trying to be like it.

2 Likes

How is the Q-LED in dark room with low brightness settings ?

Is there enough contrast , any issues with screen uniformity ?

I have a Samsung 55" Q70A class Qled (QN55Q70AAFXZA) and love it. It works well in low light environments and has been reviewed as very good for gaming in the dark (see link). As a matter of fact, this QLED is probably better suited to gaming over normal TV viewing!

It also has other excellent features like a 120Hz screen refresh, supports HDR10 along with MSFS, HDMI 2.1, the latest Freesync premium pro standard along with many other gaming features. Beware, though only the 55" model and up support some of the key gaming features but this would not be a problem if you’re looking to get the 65" model.

One of the things I really like about this TV is the AI upscaling engine is excellent so you can set up MSFS as full screen, 1440p and render at 100 and let the TV upscale to 4k. This will take some of the burden off your video card and the output looks great, so good, I’m not using FSR/DLSS (perhaps FSR/DLSS will be better in SU10 but I have a plan B :-).

Not sure if you use HDR10 with your current monitor but it looks amazing on this QLED!

Only reasons for not getting an OLED are if you are viewing in extreme bright conditions or the price. QD-OLED would be my only exception for not getting a regular OLED. The true blacks can’t be beat.

1 Like

If you’re doing mixed use between gaming, TV watching, etc. Burn-in will likely not be an issue.

If you’re exclusively using it as a PC monitor and will have the taskbar and some windows in the same place for hours at a time every day, burn-in may be an issue.

Blooming in dark scenes or if you’re using a dark background and moving a cursor around on any backlit LED display is still an issue, it will be even more obvious and distracting in a darker room.

OLED is easily the way to go as long as you can minimize the burn-in risk.

1 Like

I must admit burn in is a concern, but not a major one. On MSFS I may sometimes leave cockpit screen for a while on longer flights. There should still be some small motion though.

Being a living room TV, I will Is use it for some Netflix , Prime or sports, as well as other games.

I at this stage I read many of the reddit and YouTube comments on the differences between these panels, but somehow the low brightness performance of the Q-LED has not been brought up many times.

I am afraid it could be underperforming in these conditions, as everyone is saying QLED are more suited to bright environments.

I usually avoid OLED, especially for gaming. Don’t get me wrong, OLED produces the best picture quality, hands down… No argument there. But the burn-in issue that plagued all OLED is just too much of a risk for the longevity of the display. I’d rather pick a slightly inferior image quality for a panel that I can use for 5-10 years without issue.

So out of the two options that you have, I would pick the Q-LED just because it doesn’t suffer from the burn-in tendency of OLED.

OLED is good for movies where every frame is different. For gaming, is a bad idea, because you get a lot of static images being displayed. Things like HUD, cockpit camera where you’re facing the same spot over 50% of the time. these persistent lights that stay on the OLED pixels degrade that pixel a lot quicker than other pixels that go through the phase of on/off due to it keeps refreshing new frames that display different images. And Burn in-happens because it no longer able to switch pixels appropriately due to it having different degradation level compared to its neighbouring pixels, thus giving you the illusion of the ghosting effect, or lingering text or images from previous frames.

And when you find features like “anti-burn in cycle”… It’s not what you think it is. It does not ‘rest’ the pixels to restore them to peak performance like brand new. On the contrary, it’s actually normalising the degradation of all other pixels so that they’re at the same level of wear as most degraded pixel. For example, if you have an area of pixels that you display persistent images like Windows Taskbar, HUD, etc for so long that the pixels at that location degrades into 80% of their initial state. The “anti-burn” in doesn’t restore that back to 100%. It actually makes all the other pixels that are at 95%, 97%, 100%, and deliberately wear them down to the same 80% level. So your entire panel is now at the same level of degradation, and the burn-in effect is eliminated.

But I guess if you can afford to switch and change your OLED display every 2-3 years, then burn-in will not have enough time to settle to be an issue for you. So If you can afford it, go for OLED.

Low brightness performance of the Q-LED? Brightness of the Samsung Q-LED screens are not an issue as far as I’m concerned. I have a 2nd Samsung Q-LED in my family room which is a large open area additionally encompassing my kitchen and dining room. One of the key requirements from my wife was that the TV must be easily viewable across this large space from the kitchen (about 35ft away). I can say she is extremely happy how the Samsung 75 inch Q-LED brightness, colors, and clarity pops across this space.

Quite frankly, I find myself turning down the brightness in my den while using my 55 inch Q-LED w/PC as the brightness will almost sear your eyes sitting only a few feet away! That’s something you should consider also as I ideally wanted a Q-LED that was only 40-50 inches since I knew I’d be sitting just a few feet away from it at my desk. Unfortunately, the gaming features I wanted like Freesync/G-sync were only available on the larger Samsung Q-LED’s 55 inches and up.

Pls have a read of the article from my last post which is a very detailed review. Sometimes you need to be careful of the YouTube/Reddit/social media “professionals” who mainly provide just opinions and no real data.

I own OLED TV and knew more expensive Q-LEDs ( called Neo from these manufactor ). The dark-sceneries of a OLED is a different world than QLED and as a home-movie-fan the OLED is still the best what exist.

But a QLED can be much brighter and is much better suitable for static content. Also if the “burn-in” for new OLEDs is more or less no longer a topic, they do that with some tricks ( e.g. auto-darken the screen with no/less movment in content , pixel-shift, etc. ). I played games on my OLED per Playstation ( yep, sorry, nothing with xbox :wink: ) for realy long hours and there are no issues with burn-in, but on other side that are more likely games with more movements as a static cockpit. The image quality of QLED is not bad , but the viewing-angle is not as good as OLED ( but realy also not bad and not relavant for gaming, where you sit in front ).

At the end, what would my decision… I think again for the OLED, also for gaming. The prices for OLEDs are far away from first generations and the more expensive good QLEDs are not realy cheaper. And I not play games in very bright rooms. In case I would need bright TV ( living room, playing while sun shine direct onto the tv, etc ), then QLED is may be better the choice ( or if you realy want hours and hours have the cockpit of an airbus on the screen, with zero movements )

I use an LG CX OLED as a desktop monitor. Bought it before covid hit, many, many, marathon gaming sessions during the quarantines. According to the service menu it has 7,720 hours of use. I don’t take any steps other than changing the wallpaper periodically, and for a while I hid the task bar (don’t anymore). I’ve even disabled the brightness limiting features with a service remote

I have no burn in. The pixel refresh routine has launched itself twice.

I love flying from dusk to dawn. You can see an amazing amount of stars in MSFS with an OLED, because even stars as small as 1 pixel will illuminate and be surrounded with pitch black pixels. Flying from Miami to Key West along the Oversees Highways is one of my favorite chill out flights. So many constellations overhead.

1 Like

What I meant to say was how is QLED performance, when set to low brightness and in low light room.
I didn’t mean it has an issue with overall brightness being low.
Do you notice any issue with screen uniformity for example, or loss of detail, colours, when brightness is let’s say at 20 or 30% ?

This sure looks tempting to go for OLED !!!
Encouraging to hear your experience so far after more than 7K hours.

I was in the same position as you, and had the exact same questions before I ended up with a 65" Samsung QLED. What ended up making that descicion for me was 2 things. Scared of burn-ins and OLED pixels (at the time I was investigating) are made of organic material so they get worse over time and will eventually suffer a failure, its just a matter of time.

Now maybe those things are gone with todays newest models, I havent checked but they were still a thing couple years ago (around the time of the LG C1 hype).

I honestly have nothing bad to say about the QLED picture. If anything its almost a little too bright and colorful, so I tend to drop the brightness down a bit.

The only thing I will say is that it has a tiny bit of blooming in dark scenes from the white light, even thought its much better now and of course depending on the model. (this is where model and type matters)

But again to summarize, I knew I would be using mine as a computer screen that would be on many hours a day, so the burn-in-free warranty made that choice eventually for me.

If I were you, I would check out some models and see if you think the picture on one is better than the other, and then look into things that worry you - and then go from there.

Money decides everything

When you drop the brightness to 20%-30%, in low light room conditions, how do you find the image ?
Besides the obvious dimming, do you feel it is lacking somehow in comparison when you have the TV brightness popped up ?
Any issues with screen uniformity, or black crushing in low brightness settings ?

No issues with screen uniformity.

I dont have any noticeable issues with uniformity at all.
Or any issues with black or white crush.

I dont want to comment too much on those details as it was not really something I was checking out in depth. I needed a 4k 65" with high frequenzy (120hz) and no burn-in risk as I knew I would be using it a lot. The only thing I have noticed is a tiny bit of blooming in dark scenes.

If it wasnt for the pixel life expectancy issues and burn in issues on OLED TVs, I might have at least considered to buy one. If those issues are far gone today maybe it is worth looking into a OLED, but again I have nothing bad to say about a quality QLED.