Only 30 fps with rtx 3080

Hello everyone!

I recently got a pre built pc with an rtx 3080 and when I spawn on the runway I only get around 30 fps max.

• It is the same with v-sync on and off
    -The frame limit is at 60 fps
    -I do have the latest nvidia driver
    specs:
    I9-9900k
    32gb of ram
    MSI - Geforce RTX 3080 VENTUS 3X 10G
    (I was at KSEA in a C172 4k resolution)
3 Likes

I’m extremely surprised. I got an I9 9900k with RTX 2080 Super and running the sim almost all at Ultra very smooth even around busy areas.
There must be some issues with BIOS setup or some software running in the background that slows the PC or use resources.
I know new PCs coming preloaded with a bunch of unnecessary apps overloading even the most up to date computer.
Sometimes it’s BIOS settings or memory settings configured wrong.

Anyway… very strange.

I read a review of pre-builts saying that they had to go into bios and enable XMP for the ram to run at the correct speed. Could that be it?

2 Likes

also check that the glass panel refresh rate is set to ‘medium’. That should be the preset for the Ultra settings, but maybe you changed it.

edit: I also see quite a few multiplayer/AI aircraft. All these need calculations as well. Maybe test first without multiplayer / AI aircraft and see how it does.

1 Like

Could be, but many things can cause it. Usually memory even working at default settings would not effect your system that badly.

And by the way even the glass refresh rate barely effect my performance. Also i noticed that you running 6 pack.

Another thing…Check your GPU and CPU temps… if they get hot they will throttle down.

It’s perfectly possible to get 36 fps on an RTX 3080 in MSFS.

5 Likes

tbh, based on that PC build I would expect between 40 and 50. So yeh, might just be a busy airport.

If he is running at a very high resolution and has the render scaling set to max, then certainly even an RTX 3080 is going to tank.

6 Likes

render scaling preset should be at 100% though for the Ultra profile right?

I don’t think render scaling is tied to a preset. In any case, he didn’t tell us what settings he uses.

Turn it off.

3 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with your PC. If you turn on the dev mode you’ll see that you are limited by the mainthread. All the ai planes around you sucks up and somehow binds your CPU performance. It’s a bug that Asobo are currently working on and is expected to release tomorrow. I have the same issue with I9-10900 and rtx 3080

7 Likes

I only get 25fps at KSEA with 3080, i7-7820x @ 4ghz

And turn all three sliders from 200 to 100 and keep the rest at max settings in graphics settings. Visualy you won’t see a difference but the performance will greatly increase

1 Like

What is your resolution? If you run in the developer mode you will probably see that the limitation is on the CPU-side. I read somewhere that the devs are working on a DX12 version that will probably be better off loading CPU-work better (than DX11) over multiple cores.

Stop spreading this. The devs have stated that DX12 will bring very little (if any) performance benefits.
I think they’re rolling out some optimizations with the patch tomorrow though, but don’t expect wonders.

9 Likes

How many FPS do you get in the menus? If it is also 30 then you are frame limited by something, could be your display settings, could be a tool, could be MSFS.

If you are running in 4K resolution the 3080 will not be sufficient to reach 60fps, so you should either lower the resolution or display settings or turn off v-sync.

2 Likes

I found this article at Digital Foundry quite helpful
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-flight-simulator-optimised-settings-for-next-gen-experience
I’m sure with some tweaking you’ll get better fps.

1 Like

I don’t understand why people pretend to play in 4k in 2020 and not in 2k (ultra wide is better).
Problably 4k will be playable with Hopper… probably.

Because we can and because we dont like low resolutions. Once seen a Read Dead Redemption 2 in 4k and you will never ever again go back. Thats why.

4 Likes