Only 30 fps with rtx 3080

If you prefer 4k@30 than 2k@75…

1 Like

Yes I do.

This is not a first person shooter. I fly an A320, so I don´t do aerobatics, there are not fast movements that require 75 fps, so I´m perfectly fine with 35 fps at 4k with my 3080.

I use a 40 inch display. With that display size, 2k looks explicitly pixelated, and particularly, text in the cockpit is much worse, and readability is compromised. I love using 4K now, and being able to read and program the MCDU or read the constrains in the ND without having to zoom my point of view. So much more comportable, natural and relaxed.

If you can accept 2K, good for you, I hope you enjoy it.

But don´t tell us what we should use. We know what we are missing at 2k, and… we won´t be going back anytime soon, thank you…

9 Likes

I have a i9-10900k rtx 3090 64gb ram
I’m also experiencing low frames but that’s not the issue because 30 fps is already good.
My issue is that I get stutters

3 Likes

Same here with the stutters. We just have to be patient. A couple of months from now I’m sure this will be fixed. Right now it doesn’t matter how powerful PCs we got. It’s a game issue, not the hardware

2 Likes

I ereased the most of the stutters by changing power management settings in the nvidia system settings (not in the game) from optimized to adaptive. Dont remember where I have heard or read this but helps here a lot. Now I run here allmost over 50fps on nearly all ultra in 1440p with e very (very!) few und short stutters with my 8600k and 2080ti.
It also helps a lot for me to reduce the refresh rate of the garmin panels to medium (I allmost fly in the cockpit view).
LOD should stay at 200 for best visuals, render scaling 100 is ok.

How did you change the power settings in Nvidia?

I’m getting 42-45 with 16gb Ram, Rizen 7 3700x and GTX 2070super. If you’re not using an SSD, I’d say that’s a part of the issue.

1 Like

If you try to run the game at 2560 x 1440 on a native 4K monitor, it will always look terrible. Pixel interpolation for a resolution that can’t be divisible by 2 is always terrible.

But if you run 4K and use a render scale of 70%, you’re essentially rendering at 2K and upscaling to 4K to display at your display’s native resolution. That gives a nice increase to frame rate without causing the horrible aliasing and pixellation you get forcing the panel to run at 2K.

It’s up to you really if you’re happy with your 4K performance. But you should give it a try nonetheless.

1 Like

Should also mention I’m running 1440p, high-end settings on an LG UltraGear 34" 21:9 so you should def be getting better fps.

What render scale would you suggest on a 4K monitor?

Use can use render scale 80. This guy will get amazing fps once he actually flies out of KSEA. The custom airport and nearby city is what’s hogging the CPU. Not to mention the 4k res. I switched out my 4k monitor for 1440p and it’s the perfect sweet spot.

If you use 50% scale, you’re rendering at 1080p and upscaling to 4K for display. If you use 70%, you’re rendering at 1440p (more or less should be 66% for an exact 1440p interpolation). Try different rendering scales and find the best balance of performance to visuals that you’re willing to deal with. Just don’t go above 100% and you’re golden.

With a 10900k and 3090, with a 70% render scale, you should be able to see consistently high 40 frame rates or even higher with everything at Ultra.

Stutters are caused by different things. Sometimes it’s because there’s network latency with streaming data. Sometimes it’s just a heavy spike in processing due to a busy environment. It’s not all about fps. So there’s no guarantee that it will fix all stutters. But finding that good balance of quality to performance will help. The higher your base frame rate, the less irritating stutters will be when they do show up because they won’t tank your frame rates as low.

In New York I had 40 - 55 FPS, high settings, 4K with RTX 3080 + AMD 5900x + 64 GB Ram. 100% RS. Something is holding your machine back.

I noticed my ram is clocked at 2200hz it can go up to 3200, do you think that’s the issue?

Not sure how Intel is reacting on Ram clocks, AMD Ryzen gets a boost, mine is at 3600Mhz

Could my ssd be holding me back? I have sn550

I have it installed on the exactly same SSD, and I also haven an MSI 3080, though it is the Trinity, still 30 fps is too low for your machine.

Try the nvidia Geforce Experience, and let the software chose the right settings for you, and check what fps you get.

Tomorrow we hopefully also get the CPU Patch, that should improve things aswell.

Thanks for the tip.

I just tried it and must admit it works much better than native 2K, and better than I expected.
Exterior views, in fact, are surprisingly good, close to actual 4K quality. If I was using the sim for VFR flight, spending a lof of time looking at the exterior, this would probably be a very good quality/performance compromise.

But… I fly IFR with the A320NX, and spend a lot of time reading text in the cockpit. And there… the result is better than expected, and better than native 2K, but the text is significantly more blurry than at native 4K, obviously.

All in all, I will continue to use full 4K resolution, for me, as an IFR simmer, instrument readability is improved more than enough to compensate for the reduction in performance.

Bear in mind I have been simming since FS98, so I know what 8 fps on a high-end computer is, so I just cannot share all that drama about FS2020 being “only” 35 fps… For me, that is buttery smooth. I don´t feel I´m giving up anything by going 4K. Quite the contrary.

Thanks again for the info.

1 Like

How does an SSD affect performance once the flight is loaded in and aircraft is standing on runway?