Only 30 fps with rtx 3080

How mamy times we have to realize someone that fps doesnt mean anything on simulators like p3d/x plane/fs2020 ? Stutter free 30fps is a target for you i think. All your bottlenecks on high end pc are gone after locked your frames at 30hz and then turn on vsync. I dont have any problems at high/ultra settings 4k@30hz/60 render on my i7 9700k@5.0/GTX 1080ti/32 ramm 3200mhz. This is not a fps gamę where we need these high fps. Greetings from Poland from every one.

2 Likes

SSD helps in how fast fs will load up. That’s it

My 64gb ram was clocked to 2133mhz
I went into Bios and boost it up to 3200mhz

Note my max speed for my modules is 3600mhz but the sim would start crashing at that speed so I lowered it to 3200mhz

Okay thank you, I will mess around with the render scale when I get home.

But, wouldn’t lowering the render scale cause some missing objects, buildings in cities and airports?

That helps a lot. My RAM modules are rated at 3000 MHz, but anything over 2666 and they crash as well. If you go in and play with the timings and such (a pain in the @ss at the best of times unless you really know what you’re doing), you likely won’t get them to their max speed. Not impossible, but it takes some tweaking to reach that speed.

And no, render scale doesn’t remove objects. It just renders at a lower resolution. But give it a try and see how it works out for you.

To be honest, I think a 2080 super already deliver all fps possible for this game…so, GPU is not a bottleneck to your setup, nor the CPU. I think the “problem” is called “optimization”. Maybe we will see some better results after the update 7.

That’s not entirely accurate. While yes, it will drastically help load times, the game is constantly loading and processing data. If you were to see what the game is actually processing it’s just a ‘cone’ of the line of site from the camera. The faster it can load the graphics as you fly/move the faster it can load and display the graphics.

As far as 30fps on the runway, IF it was programmed this way it would be smart to reduce the frame rate when the plane is stationary. Why do you need 60fps for a near-still image? That’s part of optimizing. It’s like the Apple watch vs the Galaxy watch. Apple optimized it for battery life by refreshing the screen once per second depending on the face because why do you need a high-refresh to tell the time?

No. The render scale simply increases the resolution the game is rendered at, and then downscales it back to your monitor’s resolution. It is a nice feature to use on a 1080p monitor (it basically creates some better anti-aliasing).

If you’re running at higher resolutions (1440p, and especially 4K), you’re only slowing down your system with little to no benefit.

The other two scaling sliders (terrain and buildings I believe) will increase the range that terrain and buildings get rendered at. So you’ll get benefit from increasing those if your system can handle it.

So, if you’re running at 4K, render scaling should never be over 100%, maybe even a bit below depending on the frame rates you’re targetting.
Terrain and building details can be at 150-200% if your system can handle it. If you’re getting lower FPS or stutters, reduce them down to 100%.

@Crunchmeister71 @MortThe2nd
That’s odd because if I remember correctly when I was doing some testings with the render scale at Vancouver International using the payware scenery, I remember that the lower I set the render scale, the more objects would start disappearing. That is why I’m concern if lowering any scale would result with missing objects on land and airports

then you’re remembering wrong.

As said; render scale just forces your PC to render more pixels, and then downscale it again.
Only the terrain/building scaling slider influence at what range and at what detail stuff gets rendered at.

You really need to make your mind up. I see you make tons of posts about low framerates and stutters.

• If you’re really that concerned with framerates and stutters, you need to accept you’re going to have less visuals on the screen.
  • If you’re really that concerned with the graphical details, you need to accept you’re going to have lower framerates and/or stutters.

So which is bothering you most; adapt to that one.

Maths examply; render scale at 200% forces your PC to render 4 times the pixels
vs
. .
. .
If your monitor is 4K, that’s roughly 8.3 million pixels (enough to make a top of the line system really sweat)
upscaled to 200%, that’s roughly 33.2 million pixels.
This will kill any PC.

Regardless, running at higher resolutions; DO NOT increase render scale over 100%. And at 4K, you’ll likely have really nice visuals at 70 or 80% render scaling if you’re worried about your framerates.

last point: custom sceneries are probably not your best bet for performance benchmarks. They’re normally very detailed (and, as such, very taxing on your system). If you want to run smooth at custom sceneries, expect to have to drop detail settings even more.

1 Like

Mestruation?
The thread is “ONLY 30 fps with rtx 3080”, I reply to the thread, not to you.

Render scale is the same as if you were to switch your monitor’s resolution. You don’t lose items in the game world as a result of running at a lower resolution. 4K at 50% render scale means the GPU renders the image at 1920 x 1080 (meaning the GPU and CPU are less stressed, so you can crank detail higher) and then upsamples it back up to 4K, applies antialiasingn then outputs to your panel at its 4K native resolution.

Test it out for yourself. Just don’t increase your render scale past 100%, because that means you’re rendering at higher than 4K and stressing your GPU with no real gains in image quality, but will deliver lower frame rate.

BTW, render scale does basically what nVidia’s DLSS does, only in software instead and without the AI to help smooth things out.

Alexis Mansuy

Alexis Mansuy2 months ago

This doubled my fps:
pop up the vfr/gps window and pop it out to make it a standalone window

The above to give Alexis credit…

1. Press the “v” key on your keyboard to display the VFR Map.
  2. On the top right in the middle box, select it.
    A new window displays.
  3. Move it to anywhere on your screen that you like.
    Your Framerate (fps) will almost double. Mine doubles.
  4. You have to do this each time you start flying
    (usually at the runway and ready to takeoff).
  5. You must keep displaying it at all times.
    If you close it, fps drops back.

Note: The “v” key is only active after you select “Ready to Fly” to
start the simulation.

do you think it would help my fps is i increased my ram speed to 3200?

im pretty sure all it does is display the fps of the map no?

Sorry, but that’s complete BS. It was back then, it is now.

Frame rates are 100% wrong when using external tools like Steam Overlay, MSI Afterburner, etc to measure fps when panels are broken out to other windows. It may tell you you’re getting higher fps, but the experience is noticeably choppier and lower performance.

The only accurate measure you’ll get is using MSFS Dev Mode window. If you use that tool, it will accurately show you that you’re losing fps for every panel you break out to another window. Personally, I lose about 5fps for each panel I break out to my second monitor.

If you say so.

II don’t know what you mean when you say - break out to another window.

It is just the VFR Map within FS2020.

If I am fooled, then, I am a happy fool or was one.

But I was flying over NY City at 1200 feet at a previous fps of 12
(MSI Z390 MB, I7-9700@4.7G, MSI GTX 1660 TI) with severe stutter
and jumping.

And after displaying the FR Map and “exploding” it, it was very smooth
with the increase in fps to 22. Faint stutter and no jumping.

I’m not an expert. It appeared to help as stated.

My ram is running at 2200 hz I can up it to 3200hz, do you think I should and will it have an effect on performance?

1 Like

Open up dev mode, fire up the FPS counter and verify for yourself. That takes the “I feel” and “I think” out of it and you get solid, reliable numbers right from the only source that matters.

And I just tried it. Opened the VFR map and “separated / exploded / whatever you want to call it” out.

I went from 36 fps to 30. I did the same with the ATC window. Dropped down to 24. Did the AI Control (copilot) as well, dropped down to 18 fps.

There was no doubt about it. It went from buttery smooth to choppy as hell. THat’s on a Ryzen 2700X with RTX 2080.

Can’t. Don’t know anything about Dev Mode and do not have it.

My knowledge is limited to only being able to press the “v” key and
do a couple of mouse clicks.

But you do make me wonder about another matter.
I see all of the “Tech” sites with their reviews and their screens display
the statistics that look identical the MSI Afterburner display.

Do they use the MSFS Dev Mode to produce theirs?