Opening the VFR Map makes the AP turning back the plane to the previous waypoint in the flight plan

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

2 tags are required: One for platform, and one for aircraft.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Which aircraft are you reporting an issue about? (Please also add the proper tag for it)

Tested with C172 & C208 but I guess will happen with all airplane equipped with an AP

Which aircraft version are you experiencing this issue on? (You can find this listed in the Content Manager under the Aircraft Name)

Brief description of the issue:

Under a specific flight plan (I am unable to determine which conditions), flying using the AP and NAV functionality, when opening the VFR Map, the plane starts a 180 turns and go back to the previous waypoint in the flight plan, then once arrived at that waypoint makes another 180 turn and resume his route.
Test done with community folder empty (safe mode) and with 2 stock aircraft. I did same test with the Carenado M20R equipped with the GNS530, same result.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

This is an example of flight plan causing the issue:

If opening the VFR Map during the SID procedure and before the 1st waypoint BNE all good, plane is following the route. Close the VFR Map.

Passing the 1st waypoint BNE, plane is on track to the 2nd waypoint DPE but as you can see in the background, as soon as the VFR Map is opened, the AP starts a 180 left turn

Plane is going back to BNE

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1- in the World Map, use the IFR Low Altitude flight plan automatically created:
LFAT, takeoff runway 13 (SID BNE1Y 13) -BNE-DPE-CAN-GILRA-LFRN
2- start the flight, engage the AP, using the NAV and GPS route
3- cross over 1st waypoint BNE (VFR Map is closed)
4- fly toward next waypoint DPE
5- before arriving to DPE, open the VFR Map
6- see the AP engaging a 180 left turn to return to BNE
Additional notes:

• If using runway 31 for departure, SID BNE1Z 31, no issue when opening the VFR map right after crossing BNE, heading to DPE (turn around BNE is different, not like a tear drop)
  • once crossed over 2nd waypoint DPE, no issue when opening the VFR map

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

My ultralight sightseeing flight plans use visual waypoint markers, without using autopilot or ATC functions, so this info may or may not be applicable to you.

I frequently experience u-turn directional guidance when creating my flight plans. There are a variety of things that resolve the issue in my plans, but the most common fix is to raise the flight plan’s cruising altitude by 500 or 1,000 feet. Another fix that frequently works is reversing the route.

Again, my circumstances are different than yours, but these are easy changes for experimenting to determine if they are affecting your flight.

Thank you, I’ll try with different altitudes. Just 1 question: if you are not using the autopilot, how do you experience u-turns ?

Adding as reference a post of a user having a similar issue but with a Hold pattern. The point I am seeing in common could be the “tear drop” path.

This was an issue with the PMS50’s GTN750 code, and was fixed by Pms50, (very quickly after being reported) a few weeks ago with an update to the GTN750,

v2.2.6
Bugfix: WTT external mode: Restarting the GTN750 toolbar panel while flying a hold may reset the active leg.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the fix brought to the PMS50’s GTN750 code. So maybe a similar issue exists with WT autopilots implemented in the stock MSFS planes.

Maybe –

GPS systems with include APs, GPS system that talk to a range of differing, dedicated independent (?) AP systems.

I have got so confused by all the changes that the WT flight plan system, GPS and AP have introduced to the sim, along with PMS50 and/or WT gauges, that I have stopped trying to figure out any logical sense to it all, and am now happy to let the evolution continue at its own paces, and see where the cards land.

There are enough people (Users & Devs) involved in this, that eventually it should eventually all be sorted out, at it’s own pace, if not in MSFS 2020, but hopefully in MSFS 2024.

1 Like

Sorry for the slow response; I was away for the end-of-year holidays. The answer to your question requires some explanation.

My flight plans are for sightseeing with low, slow ultralight aircraft. Takeoff, see a point of interest, and land. A user loads the flight plan and then follows on-screen visual markers. The directional markers have labels like “Turn left here”, “Bear left to land”, “Descend and follow the river”, etc. So, I am not using waypoints in the traditional way, but rather as on-screen road signs.

MSFS waypoints are not compatible with low, slow sightseeing flight plans. MSFS uses a variety of factors to predict upcoming turns and it dynamically controls the display (and suppression) of waypoints. My plans require waypoints to behave more like custom points of interest rather than as GPS waypoints. I have developed techniques that overcome MSFS behavior to provide accurate, persistent tips for creating low, slow flight plans.

These plans do not work if MSFS is allowed to control the flight and override the plan. Thus, the plans provide instructions to avoid any copilot, autopilot or ATC engagement. These are short, stick-and-rudder flights.

Unfortunately, MSFS still finds ways to override my efforts. For example, in a totally manual flight, the next on-screen waypoint may be, “Turn left here.” On the way to that marker, the marker disappears and a directional marker pops up, pointing back to the previous marker, and it is persistent. It is a u-turn.

1 Like