OpenXR Toolkit Settings - Quest2 only, ASW Oculus (not SteamVR) Only

This is just for us folks using the OpenXR Toolkit that has a super long thread including links to the Toolkit:

Then it is only for those of us who have a Quest 2 and are interested in running sideview smooth with ASW in direct Oculus, not SteamVR mode. Otherwise we get way too long a thread.

I fly helicopters (Hype freeware H135) very low (next to scenery) and slow - but also all the rest (for example, the F-18 through the hills and valleys of the Mach loop) and I look out the side windows a lot and I just don’t like to see the scenery judder/stutter/ghost/etc at all. Therefore I need ASW - usually at 24fps (one-third of 72Hz) since I only have an RTX2070 with my 9700K@4.8Ghz. I recently upgraded (??) to Windows 11 and have to use the ODT Toggle Console Window Visibility" (tweak) to get a “locked” 24FPS solution.

When I first tried the NIS scaler, I got a mild improvement with Quest2, but recently from reading the “big” thread in the General Tab, I realized that I could get better performance and clarity by increasing SuperSample to 1.5 or so and then decreasing the Scaler setting in the OpenXR toolkit to approximately 55%. So here are my current best settings:

Oculus Link cable and 72Hz, 1.3X resulting in resolution of 2432x2448 per eye
OTT/ODT SS=1.5, ASW Mode = 30Hz (one-third of 90 results in one-third of 72Hz => 24FPS), FOV=.75;.75
With the Oculus app settings for resolution and the FOV settings, plus the SS settings, the final resolution as measured by the Pixel Density option for the OTT Visual HUD is 2734x2768
Finally, the OpenXR Toolkit settings: 55%FSR and 20% ->40% sharpness
MSFS Settings - Render Scaling is at 100% (shows a resolution with 55%FSR = 1504x1522) but will actually be upscaled by FSR to the above mentioned 2734x2768

Every PC, user preferences, and scenery/aircraft will need some differences

2 Likes

Hey,

thx for this will try it out, but whats your OTT Setting under the Point “Quest link”?

All this Setting with Open Console??

kind regards

I believe it’s Oculus Tray Tool, if that’s what you’re asking. I kind of wish people would spell out their acronyms/appbreviations on first use. Would make these forums much more valuable.

1 Like

Hey, Yes i Know thats Oculus Trax Tool bute i wnat to know whats his Settings under the Point Quest link

The first Test with that Settings dont bring me any Perormence but better Clearity from SS 1,5 FPS are at 18 and it runs better with ASW Off.

i cant get Down OPen Xr Toolkit FSR to 55% it looks blurry i must Set it to 100%

So i tested it like i ever Test any Settings.

MSFS Renderscale: 100%
Oculus link cable at 72Hz 1.3 like he said
OTT Quest link:
Distortion Curvature: Low
Encode Resolution: 3648
Bitrate: 500
Recommended SS: 1,3

OTT Game Settings:
Default SS: 1,5
ASW off
GPu Scaling: Off
FOV: 0,75 x 0,75
OVR Derver. Above normal

Open XR Toolkit:
FSR: 100% i cant getting lower
Shapness: 20%
FOV: 100
Prediction Damening: -30

This gives me a FPS Rate on Ground 22 - 24
In the Air 24-26
but somtimes little stutters with Jumping Picture but not often

Tested at EDDB and 3000 feat over Berlin. A32N FBW

but with 1,5 SS the Picture is much better

iam on a I7 7700K Headed and oc at 4,2-4,5 , 32Gb, 1070TI

Im tested with FSR on and Off now but i see any difference is this normal??

1 Like

Wow, thanks so much for opening this - I was pulling my hair out trying to peruse through the Open XR Toolkit main discussion!

OP’s settings show why I’ve never been able to get better performance with the tool. I’m going to try them this evening and will report back, in case there’s any value in it for anyone else.

PC Specs
RTX 2070 Super (no OC)
9900k (no OC)
Rift S
Quest 2 (2)

Note: I have two Quest 2s - it’s a benefit of having two kids. One of them has the poor(er) quality lenses (I recently learned about this - sadly, it’s not uncommon with early models sold at Target) and the other has the standard quality lenses.

For testing, I’m definitely going to use the one with the better lenses!

Thanks again for starting this thread!

Sorry for not posting the OTT Quest Link info: just Low, 2912,300 (or 0), Enabled and I have the bitrate mentioned when you Disable Link at shutdown (link Dashboard) to fixed 100Mbps. In OTT, I have Adaptive GPU Scaling=Off.

With ODT, Oculus Link portion is Low,2912,Default,0,0,0,Enabled

Make sure you run the HUD while flying (well, sitting still, ready for takeoff) set to show Pixel Density which in my case shows 2734x2768 even though the MSFS VR Render Scaling shows 1504x1522 (higher * .55 = lower).

My test case is simply the Cessna 172 with G1000 at KCRQ with only high level clouds at takeoff RWY24. I make sure that the FPS is very steady at 24FPS. I watch the HUD Performance option to make sure there is no variation. Again, this is a must for ASW to be as smooth as possible. With no ASW, my FPS is more like 30 - which is OK for out the front windshield but not for looking out the side windows and aiming straight down.

My Nvidia driver = 511.23

Hi just curious what us Open XR Toolkit? Do you use this along with OTT? Can do e explain what it is and how to use it?

I have the quest2 and have the steam version of msfs2020, and using link cable.

My setting in OTT does a good job, but what’s this open Xr toolkit do?

Cheers S

Look in the VR->General threads for OpenXR Toolkit

This is a good place to start reading…

I don’t see the point to use OTT super sampling when you also use Open XR Toolking NIS upscaling.
Aren’t OTT SS and NIS upscaling the same thing ? (sorry, newbie question).

Honestly I didn’t find great benefit from NIS, OTT make a great job. I think G2 owner need more this tool.

I have this same question. The entire VR process for me is very mysterious and reading other people’s results can sometimes be very confusing. So far I’ve not really seen a benefit to using the OpenXR Toolkit, but I did get it to function as well as VR does when I don’t use the Toolkit. I did that to take advantage of the screenshot capability inside of the OpenXR Toolkit but I keep forgetting to turn it on! Next time I will definitely turn it on. Of course the Toolkit will be changing again before the end of the month, so we’ll probably have to go through the tweaking process again.

I gave this a go and had decent results. I think the micro stutters are the most annoying thing, but I even have them in 1440, although a lot less. Still trying to get it figured out and I’m starting to think it has something to with my ryzen 7 5800x. Visually I had a good time, and FPS stayed at 27 almost entirely. Ill have to play with the MSFS settings and openxr a bit more, between those oculus and OTT, its a lot of tools to tweak lol. Feel like I almost have it though. If you know how to get rid of the microstutters, please shoot me a DM or something please.

I have also micro stutters. It seem that a lot of Quest 2 user have this and there is even a dedicated thread on that subject. Some people have reported that they don’t experience the m.s. with Virtual Desktop and other point out issue with link cable since a couple of update ago (sim update).

I’m kind of new and I feel a bit discouraged with all the tweaking needed. I only want good instrument readability and no micro stutters.

: )

Long time simmer here, and I was tweaking everything and using all the tools for months; OTT, OXRTK, Oculus, ODT, ETC… But now I have gotten rid of all of that and use Virtual Desktop and Steam VR. Best clarity by far and no stutters! High and Ultra settings, even Ultra on clouds. And No Cable! Everything is working so well now that even OXRTK is of no benefit. With the Quest 2, I strongly recommend Virtual Desktop.
5950x 3080Ti 32g

1 Like

Any screenshots of your VD setup please?

1 Like

None of this is any good to me. I am unable to even use the Open XR Toolkit. Done loads of checks/settings from the OXRT website troubleshooting, but the menu will NOT appear. So have to give up on this!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.