OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

But there is a way to run this sim with minimal effort: just get an XBox, it can run the sim almost as well as PC and no fuss is required. That is if you want to use a TV or a monitor, just as you have been doing for 40 years. Easy.

Now, if you want to use VR - this is still an “emerging technology” and is nowhere nere what it should be to become just another everyday gadget. By trying to sim in VR, you are becoming an “early adopter”, which in every technology is a very thorny path. You will spend many hours trying to get your system to perform well, and there will be many annoyances and disappointments. But that is your choice to make. Yes, we all wish things would just work. But with VR - no such luck. You have to invest in high-end hardware and read a lot to balance your configuration.

That said, with a proper hardware MSFS actually works well just off-the-shelf without the use of any additional software, just watch one video about VR settings and set them accordingly, that’s it. All additional software, like Open XR Toolkit, is totally optional - it allows you to squeeze just a bit more performance, add better sounds, bring charts, better maps and a scratch pad into the VR cockpit, and so on. They are not required to enjoy the sim in the form that all sims were offering for the last 40 years, only in a much more beautigul form. Anything extra you use is your choice, so no complains. For example, I built a whole Motion VR Cockpit with many controls to increase my enjoyment of the sim. But I’m not complaining about a large amount of tweaking and several extra apps I have to run to enjoy it. It comes with the territory. If you just want to push power button and fly - better stick to pancake simming on XBox. It’s still better by an order of a magnitude than anything that was available for the last 40 years.

To clarify OpenXR Toolkit purpose: it’s not required for MSFS to run, and run reasonably well. but if you want to tweak it and try to optimize your PC performance with MSFS in VR - it can help, especially if you are GPU-limited. But unless you know what options and technologies those settings cover - it’s not going to be useful for you. As a rule of thumb, I suggest you use Foveated Rendering onthe Quality/Wide preset, and you can lock Motion Reprojection to 30 or 45 FPS. If you find MSFS DLSS useful - you can just left everything else as is, or not even use the toolkit at all.

11 Likes