OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

Thanks OXRTK team!

Quick question - what does the frame rate throttling feature do?
Might sound like a stupid question, so apologies if it is!
(I understand from the name that it will throttle frame rate :slight_smile:, but why would you want this/in what scenario?)

3 Likes

All this post needs is a GIF of a mike drop at the end!.. You and your team have made a lot of people happy in the VR community! (maybe give us a mike drop on release!) :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Thankyou all who’s put the effort into this great advancement for us vr users, you’ve made vr playable with decent graphics and fps for a while for all us users out there.
We all owe you a great deal.
THANK YOU SIR’S !!!

1 Like

and “GALS” ???

1 Like

Is it any kind of difference between Dx11 or 12? Performance or better look? I have CTD on DX12 so Im waiting for new version of Toolkit.

Definitely NO, as far as im aware (i maybe wrong) the capt & mat are male, so will be Sir.

This is a frame rate limiter, similar to what you can do with your GPU driver, but it actually throttles on VR frames rather than 2D monitor frames (the desktop window).

It’s been asked by several folks, claiming it makes their experience smoother (avoid hiccups).

6 Likes

Cool, thanks. I’ll give it a try on release and let you know how it goes.

Just while I’m replying - thank you again for all of your hard work in the toolkit and in the OpenXR team. I do hope that your lack of time to continue with the toolkit is due to a promotion and an absolutely immense pay rise! :blush:

Thank you for your efforts. Made a big difference to my experience and kept me interested in FS2020.

2 Likes

Hmmm had make my first Tests with SU10 DLSS and TAA, DLSS brings me more than 30 FPS but the Displays are not sharp, TAA brings me 2-4 FPS more. Any Idea to get the Displays Sharp in DLSS?

on I7700K with 3060Ti and Quest 2…

Thx :slight_smile:

1 Like

The same for me !

With the G2 and WMR, I can get the displays clearer (but still not TAA sharp) by increasing the WMR render scale, with the noted side effect that you will lose some of your FPS gains that DLSS gives.

eg with TAA I was using a render scale of 80% but have now increase it to 120% using DLSS quality and still get about 5-10 FPS more than TAA. Everything but the displays look better than with TAA and the displays are now acceptable, but still not as good as they were with TAA.

May I ask…
If I’m running DLSS should I still use the upscaling and fixed foveated rendering in the toolkit?
Are they compatible/conflicting/redundant?

Thanks in advance.

The new version 1.2.0 is live on our website: Quickstart | OpenXR Toolkit

EDIT: Of course I did not mention… but if you had the disable_interceptor registry hack, you want to remove that. Otherwise you don’t be getting FFR.

17 Likes

WOW that was fast! was expecting it over weekend!
Thanks Matt!

2 Likes

I’m pretty happy with DX11 and 100 TAA /Oculus 1.3SS/OpenXR Toolkit FSR 100 at this point thanks to SU10 giving me more performance headroom to push it.

Ohhh, before weekend? :grinning: Fantastic news from this moorning! TY!

1 Like

Just downloaded and tried it out. Whoopee! I now have FFR on my Radeon 6800XT in DX12 that’s usable and it looks great, with high framerates. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

Great! I am curious about efficiency of FR on AMD… how much are you gaining just by toggling it on?

Have only just started fooling around with it. With my usual VR settings plus the toolkit I got maybe 10fps increase, but lower 1% and 0.1% lows. I don’t think I was driving the GPU enough. I then tried upping buildings, trees etc to ultra and then tried upping LODs too. That gave lower framerate but excellent 1% and 0.1% lows and was very smooth. Results so far using CapFrameX. I was GPU limited each time using the advanced fps counter.

I haven’t tried comparing by switching FFR on and off yet to see the difference properly though. Will try that soon.
Ryzen 5800x3D
Radeon 6800XT
G2 Headset

1 Like