OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread

Once again, my respect. Tuns out you are agiain and again blow all expectations and are much farther ahead of the curve than anyoine can imagine. Whatever comes of it, or not, we are all thankful for the effort.

Significantly reducing MR artifacts (that will be a godsend), trying to crack DLSS3, the amazing work you did on OpenXR Toolkit that almost everyone who is serious about VR WMR uses now in one form or another…

BTW any development or plans about finishing hand tracking? I know it’s low priority, just asking…

3 Likes

Hi, no I don’t have a WMR headset (I have Oculus VR and Steam VR). I assumed it would be the same on WMR but maybe not - What do you see at the edge of display if you make a quick head rotation while at a low frame rate?

Kudos. You do sterling work!

1 Like

Ah, was just an idea. It’s def not the same thing. In WMR there’s a bug if you select “optimize for performance”, as that option reduces your FOV and when you then move your head the edge of the display “drags” a black border around. Has nothing to do with framerate though. I don’t mean anything impolite btw, but this problem that you have is off topic, i would kindly suggest you open a new topic on the subject. Perhaps Oculus users might have an idea or two, you never know. Good luck with your issue.

I think that’s not the point. Because I’ve got the HP Reverb G2 set to “optimize for performance” and I don’t have that problem with black bars. What helped me was to enable Low Latency Mode in NV control panel to ULTRA. It also smoothed out my frames and stutters

interesting. I have experimented with low latency before but failed to establish any clear benefit. Are you using motion reprojection?

No. With my system MR doesn’t work properly. I get around 22 - 30 fps depends on what aircraft and airport, but it feels really smooth overall

My system:
i7 4790k @ 4.0Ghz (Turbo 4.4Ghz)
inno3D GTX1080
16GB RAM DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

1 Like

What would you guys do, if OXRTK would show your performance as always CPU limited? As far as I understood the OXRTK FAQ and docs you should try to get GPU limited. I have a 5800X plus 3080TI and no matter what settings I rise, the CPU stays always ahead 3 ms more or less.
At the moment I use OpenXR at 150% without MR, DLSS@Quality. Rising OpenXR resolution to i.e. 175 leads to stuttering but I stay CPU limited. Why is this?

The CPU limited indicator is a mistake. It will be removed in the next version.

Short version: MSFS does parallel processing of frames, which confuses the OpenXR Toolkit overlay.

See full explanation here: OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread - #2903 by mbucchia

9 Likes

Thx for clearing that up

So I just realized I was on 1.21 and updated to 1.22. It fixed the constant CTDs I was having.

What I did notice though was that MR wobbling seems somewhat more pronounced in 1.22. Over the course of this update I’ve also managed to snag a 4090 so I’m getting amazing frames (60) without MR and with MR generally 30 and sometimes 45 but the wobbling seems to be much higher than when I was on 1.21 and my 3090. Maybe I have forgotten, I don’t know, I just thought that the wobbling reduces to almost zero when you have significant headroom above the 30 or 45 fps, which i do as I’m running at 60 but still getting wobbling. Even locking at 30 doesn’t remove it whereas I’m sure there have been phases previously where I have noticed very little wobbling.

Is there any reason why MR would have changed between 1.21 and 1.22? The only other change is my graphics card and that has only gotten better

These sound 1000% like placebo effect, there are only 2 changes between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 (changelog is always on our website):

• Delete bogus registry keys that can break the OpenXR Loader (eg: caused by XRNeckSafer installer).

• Remove resolution cap on Varjo.

The 1st change is in the installer only, and the symptoms of the issue that it fixes are OpenXR Toolkit not loading (at all) if you had installed XRNeckSafer Beta 3.

The 2nd change is only effective with Varjo headsets, and it just removes a limit (upper resolution value) in the toolkit’s menu.

There are no functional changes that would cause/address CTD, and no functional changes that would affect Motion Reprojection.

Ok I thought so. Just realized it could also be dx11 vs dx12 and hags on and off - I’ve been messing with those too.

Is the general consensus still dx11 and hags off?

scratches neck Hey Matt, you got any more of them placebos?

2 Likes

maybe the reinstallation of oxrtk resulted in some fixing of files that fixed the CTDs. ive been having the CTDs non stop for the past week. the last thing i tried was updating oxrtk to 1.22 and the crashing stopped on the flight i flew immediately after that. maybe it was a coincidence. will try again tomorrow.

the only other thing i did was open msi afterburner and increase my power and temp limit (was trying anything to stop the CTDs - maybe that was it?) will try again tomorrow with afterburner closed

I have noticed that too. Wobbles are much more pronounced now, but I don’t think that’s the OXRTK that did it. I suspect the OpenXR runtime update… I definitely had less wobbles even with my 3080, than I’m now having with my 4090. Framerates were less stable, and I couldn’t get to the full resolution with G2, but there were less wobbles. No it’s stellar performance at full resolution (except for CPU-related stutters), 30 or 45 limited MR with room to spare, but very significant wobbles. Well, let’s hope Matt’s MR fixes will make it there soon and those will be reduced…

I don’t doubt you that something changed on your system and there are less CTD but new MR issues, but I think it must be something else than the upgrade to 1.2.2. Let us know what you find!

This Imporvement looks Way better than what I am currently experiencing…Looking forward to the newest update!
Great Work!

Im also experiencing more wobbles than before with MR and a 4090.

I discovered weeks ago that having 45fps MR forced with Open tool kit was barely perfect, if it went down to 30fps there were nooticeable wobbles…so I tuned the system to handle 45FPS all time

But since days ago, I beleave at 45fps there are the same wobbles as 30fps that were before…

Could it be the last Nvidia driver?

1 Like

Great news re optical flow, hope you can release something soon.